649PF

When flying my 1998 172 in IFR, I frequently would turn on the under-wing courtesy light to check the strut or wheel pant for unexpected ice. In an RV-10 (or any RV for that matter), are there early warning spots and has anyone installed courtesy lights outside of the plane that would double as an aid in a visual check?

Last edited:
I use a flash light to check the wing leading edge.

I'm sure some small focused LED lights could be made up, it just adds complexity.

I have a dar blue metallic paint on the outer wing sections, this shows up any frosty bits on the tips and I find the landing lights on, reflecting in the coud lights up the outer half of the wing.

If it were a white wing tip area, this would be a lot harder.

Torch if need be, but I find I do not need it, low amount of reflected light is plenty on a dark surface.:)

Light

Why not an LED light mounted flush in the fuselage skin just forward of the wing leading edge focused down the leading edge of the wing, just like the airliners have?

While you're at it, mount one in the upper surface of the horiz. stab. focused on the vert. stab./rudder to highlight your tail art when you taxi in!:D:D