grantcarruthers

Well Known Member
So quick question. Why are the most oboard ribs (712's) facing in. Seems they'd be far easier to rivet the skins on if the flanges were outboard, could squeeze'em in under 2 minutes each with the pneumatic?? Now I'm sure there's a perfectly obvious reason that I'm too dumb to get so somebody please enlighten me??:D My search for "712" didn't turn up a similar thread so hopefully I'm not duplicating?

Now if for some reason they don't have to face in, swapping right for left wing 712 would be an easy switch as far as I can tell.

Just riveted my ribs to spars on one side and about to do the other. It's fun to be making progress again after my involuntary 3 month Army summer vacation. Yea!!!!! building again!!!!!!!!! And before anyone gets worried, I know you leave the 712's free on the main spar until later, so it's still just clecoed on the wing I have riveted.

Thanks all.

Grant

712-L 712-R

Grant as far as I can tell the only reason they face in is because it ends up being a cleaner looking installation, kinda "caps it off" nicely.But I would definetly look into the structural reasons before flipping them.I'm right with you on the kit,just waiting for the winds to die down so I can shoot the ribs and rivet them up, big storm on the way.

So quick question. Why are the most oboard ribs (712's) facing in.

Because the outboard aileron bracket rivets on to the end of the wing. There are 5 rivets for which you have to drill holes on the rib itself.

100_0852.jpg

100_0856.jpg

Thanks, palm to forehead in swift 'duh' motion.:rolleyes:

Now back to the shop to reinvent the double wing stand in my own questionable fassion.

Cheers