BGS

Well Known Member
Well, I think I a made a big mistake while construction the fuselage on my RV10.
Today I am connecting the Mid Fuse and the Forward Fuse and noticed that I put the outboard seat ribs together wrong. Looking back at the directions the forward tab of F-1015A seat ribs is supposed to go behind F-1004C Center Section Bulkheads. Which are riveted in place an impossible to get the tab behind without removing all the rivets, which I am afraid will do more damage to other parts.

So I am asking opinions of my options.
1. I remove the ribs and replace with new ones and install per instructions.
2. Keep moving forward and rivet in place with the F-1004K center section side plate in between the center section bulkhead (F-1004C) and the Outboard Seat Rib (F-1015A)
3. Keep moving forward and rivet in place with the Center Section Side Plate on the outside with the outboard sear rib in between the side plate and the bulkhead,

Here are some images to better explain.
http://briansrv10.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Outboard-Seat-Rib/15984825_a63ZB#1199063971_y3Rjz

I also am going to contact Vans on Monday to see their opinion also. But need to calm my nerves hopefully.

Thanks for any help on this.

Well Brian, I agree that you need to get the forward tab of the 1015a seat rib inboard of the center section bulkhead. This stackup will eventually have four layers. I disagree though on your first assertion, this is just a small mistake in the big scheme of things. ;)

It shouldn't be too difficult to carefully drill out the floor rivets, the archives here have good hints. The NAS 1096 rivets are a good option if a few holes end up enlarged, as are the special cherry max with small heads.

I agree with Andy. Once you drill out the bottom skin rivets and remove the two clecos in the center, you should be able to flex the ribs enough to get the tab in the proper place. Those are not particularly hard to reach, especially if you have a creeper to lie on.