Don Patrick

Well Known Member
For some reason today, I riveted the outboard rib to the main spar instead of the rear spar. The plans call for the riveting of the rib to the rear spar, but not the main spar.

I don't want to drill out these nice rivets unless I really have to, but I can't find in the plans why the rib isn't riveted to the main spar. This is where I have to attach it to the stand. Is there a crucial step that is impacted by this?

What am I missing?

Thanks

Don

Check the plans

I'm building a 7, and I'm not near my plans, but I believe the outboard leading edge rib will share rivets with the outboard main rib and spar. If this is the case with the 8, you'll have to drill those rivets out and replace them when you attach the leading edge to the wing.

Yup

Sometimes that most obvious are staring right in front of ya....thanks esjacob77!

Now with that,for those that attached that end to the stand, did you just leave the clecoes in the ribs/spar, while attaching the bracket to the rib to attach to the wing stand?

yep

You can leave clecoes in there for the support on the stand, and then do the final riveting on there with the main rib,spar and leading edge rib. happy building

bird