Grass1400

My wife and I have dreamed of building and flying our RV-8 going on three years now. We would always find reasons to postpone ordering that first kit. Like others, we always found other more pressing needs for the money...our children, new home, more economical car, etc. Recently my wife learned that her brain cancer had returned after having been cancer free for over six years. The end of our dream? Admittedly, I had given up on the idea as building an airplane had suddenly and justifiably lost its appeal.

Last week she said that she wanted to "keep the dream alive" and urged me to build our plane. She said, "build it now...I want to fly in our RV-8 before I go." First, I believe that she will beat this cancer...again, and second, my motivation is firmly established. The empennage kit has arrived.

We have our "Why."

With blurred and moisture impaired vision I encourage you and your wife to press on. Your wife's response to "keep the dream alive" speaks volumns! Most of us have had downturns in life, but speaking for myself, nothing compared to what your family must be going through. I know many of us think we've found a keeper..You my friend truly have. May my thoughts and prayers for you're wife's recovery reach you and yours.

Randy,

Best wishes from all of us and stay strong. I'm sure that there will be any number of volunteers to help make your build happen in a timely manner. Hope to see you both at an RV event in the future.

greg

Randy,

A dream and a goal may be some of the best medicine. Sounds like your bride is a very special lady, and my thoughts and prayers are with you both. I'm thinking you've got a lotta folks building with you in spirit, and as Greg said, plenty of volunteers along the way!

Every rivet will be special!

Here's wishing your wife a strong recovery, and some wind beneath your wings!

All the best!
Bob

Tell you what Randy, while constantly wearing my LiveStrong bracelet, if you have any components you want me to help you with, box em up and send me the part, ie., elevator, rudder. Anything I can do to speed the process, let me know.

She'll beat it!!

Amen......

....to what the other posters said.

Having that dream in the first place is a bonus and having something to look forward to is therapeutic. I read where a guy decided that there was no way the cancer was gonna beat him and he started smiling and laughing every day, reading funnies and other smile generating stories and it had been several years of remission and no trace.

Prayers and best wishes for both of you guys.

Regards,

It has been rumored that aluminum chips are very therapeutic! Who knows? Maybe you guys will find a cure in aluminum?

You are a lucky man to have such a loving, & caring wife.

Good luck with your plane and your prognosis, keep us posted on both. We are here anytime you need some encouragement.

Last edited:
What a woman! Sorry to hear about her health problems.

Contact your local EAA chapter, tell them your story, and I'll bet you will have more people over helping you every day than can fit in your shop.

Best of luck to both of you!

God's Speed in your building and especially your wife's remission and cure.

Courage and prayers,

Roberta

Heartfelt thanks

Thank you for the many kind responses; I am truly humbled. She is indeed a great lady.

Looking forward to our first fly-in already.

God bless... :)

First off, I am sorry to hear of your wife's relapse. I hope her prognosis is encouraging.

Hope is essential in battling cancer. Getting back to "flying status" was instrumental in keeping my spirits up this summer during my treatment for leukemia (I'm officially in remission). Your RV project will keep hope alive for you and your wife, a tangible reminder of the saying "plan for tomorrow, live for today". It is touching that she is encouraging you to follow your dreams during tough times for her; you have a "keeper" there. Be sure you ask her about how to finish the RV so she will enjoy spending time in it. Hopefully you can celebrate milestones in building and treatment together.

Slightly OT, but I would recommend MD Anderson for treatment if you're not there already. My experience there was very good. Let me know if I can help out with any Houston connections or info.

Best of luck and don't hesitate to ask if you need anything; Godspeed.

TODR

Whether she manages to help you with the rudder, the finish kit, or the 20th condition inspection, I'm sure the memories of working together on the project will be treasured and you'll never tire of running your hands over the rivets she set. May she be there on the other side of the plane admiring your rivets many many years from now. And giving you grief for that crappy one right in the middle of the top wing skins!!:p

My prayers to both of you with the struggles ahead, may have you have more years together than you could imagine.

Another View

My wife has had cancer show up five times and each time the terror has been felt, the prayers answered and the surgery, chemotheraphy and radiation theraphy medical treatments successful. A panic race to completion using a cottage industry approach may not be the best thing for the two of you. The therapeutic value of an RV is in the build process not the completion. The two of you working together on the plane at your own pace to build the best RV-8 you can build without thinking of a deadline can be a beautiful experience. If you someday complete it that's a bonus. Racing to completion can send the wrong message.

Bob Axsom

Best Wishes

Randy,

My prayers are with you and your wife tonight. Best wishes for your build process. What a great example of courage!

David

i finished reading that initial post with very wet eyes!!

my prayers are with you, and your wonderful bride.

enjoy every minute of the time you and her will get to spend on that wonderful project!!

God Bless,

ian

Prayer Works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife has had cancer show up five times and each time the terror has been felt, the prayers answered and the surgery, chemotheraphy and radiation theraphy medical treatments successful. A panic race to completion using a cottage industry approach may not be the best thing for the two of you. The therapeutic value of an RV is in the build process not the completion. The two of you working together on the plane at your own pace to build the best RV-8 you can build without thinking of a deadline can be a beautiful experience. If you someday complete it that's a bonus. Racing to completion can send the wrong message.

Bob Axsom

Bob has a good idea here. I'll go beyond being politically correct here and encourage having faith in GOD and having friends Pray for her continued health and complete remission. Your wife is on my prayer list.

OBTW: Include me on your's too! I need it.

Bob has a good idea here. I'll go beyond being politically correct here and encourage having faith in GOD and having friends Pray for her continued health and complete remission. Your wife is on my prayer list.

I second mannanj.

Thank you

Bob Axsom

Bob, I agree...we will enjoy the process. Thanks!

Thanks

Our prayers are with you as well my friend. Our faith in God and the prayers of many friends and family have provided us with strength and peace.

Thanks also to everyone else for the words of encouragement and insight. I'm extremely grateful!