RV7Guy

Well Known Member
A couple of weeks ago I posted that Glenn Brasch and I had completed our helicopter instrument tickets. The fruits of that labor have paid off and we are now both employed with PHI and will be flying medical helicopters in AZ.

We begin transition training in the Eurocopter AS350B2/B3 tomorrow. I will return to Lafayette LA in two weeks to get trained in the Bell 407.

After completing the rating we Fedex'd our applications and resumes to PHI. Within a week we were contacted and scheduled to interview in Lafayette. That journey is another story but we were successful in our efforts. As a side note, I must say that PHI is one of the most professional organizations we've ever been associated with. If there is anyone out there with a helicopter commercial/instrument rating and 1500 hours of helicopter time, there may be a job waiting for you.

I've attached a couple of pictures. I am standing by the Bell 407 which is the primary ship I'll be flying. Glenn is standing by the aircraft we did our pre hire flight test in.

glenn206hv5.jpg

darwin407hz0.jpg

Congrats

Darwin: Congratulations on your well-deserved success with PHI. I did not know they ranged this far, and into medevac. Looks like a most interesting job with a top-notch company. I was at Chandler last weekend to see the aerobatic school, and will be going up there more frequently, as I am trying to improve my skills into the intermediate level. I hope I get to meet you. Best of luck in your new endeavor.
TN
Ex R-22 operator at KELP

WOW! and Congratulations!

A huge congratulations... I'm almost ready for my rotor CFI ride... and I've been studying so much my brain hurts... the instrument ticket is next... the dream job is Med-Evac... but I dont think anyone will hire me with 80 hrs.... so teaching is where I'll be for a loooooong time I guess.
Congratulations you guys!
Best
Brian

Darwin, Glenn...that is fantastic news! Congrats boys!!

:cool::cool::cool:

What does PHI stand for?:confused:

It used to stand for Petroleum Helicopters Inc. Now the legal name is just PHI, Inc. Incredible company!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It can be done

A huge congratulations... I'm almost ready for my rotor CFI ride... and I've been studying so much my brain hurts... the instrument ticket is next... the dream job is Med-Evac... but I dont think anyone will hire me with 80 hrs.... so teaching is where I'll be for a loooooong time I guess.
Congratulations you guys!
Best
Brian

The helicopter pilot pool is diminishing. There is a major lack of helicopter pilots with turbine time but there is a path to that end. One of the Check Airmen for AZ AirEvac is a young 26 year old. He got all of his ratings, instructed until he reached 1000 hrs and was hired to fly in the gulf. Here they trained him on the turbine aircraft and he built his time. He got his turbine time and experience and came back to AZ.

The Military used to be a great source for high time pilots. However, they are not getting much time like they used to. There is a former Blackhawk guy that was hired with us. He is going to fly a medium twin Heli as second in command. He only has about 1000 hours total time.

There is a "Robbie Ranger," that was hired with us. She is 30 yrs old. She got her ratings, instructed and then flew tours to get her time. This will be her first experience at "off road," flying. She should do fine.

If I was a young person just starting out, this is the path I'd take. There is very good money at the end of the road. Not airline money but good money with job security.

Congrats Darwin, great work! Flying choppers is a blast. Have fun! (watch out for the power lines)

Welcome to the Company

Welcome to PHI. I retired for the military and am flying for EMS in AZ too.

Terry
RV-7 engine hung, awaiting hangar space

Way cool, congrats to you two.

Since you blew me off last week (go Brewers!) you can make it up by bringing that sucker to LOE and giving rides.