Joe Hine

Well Known Member
Hi Everyone...

If this is found to be off topic I apologize, but I for one am interested in this.

I'm not sure if I've seen a thread here about other projects that builders might have undertaken, so I thought I would kick one off. I built my 4 a while ago and have been enjoying it for 10 years now. I didn't start another RV when I was finished because I had always wanted to rebuild an old English sports car.

About 8 months before YTQ had her first flight, I was working in my garage one evening with the doors open because it was a beautiful evening, and a fellow who lives around the corner from me, whom I had never met, was walking his dog past my house, saw TQ through the open doors and walked down the driveway. He commented that you don't often see airplanes in garages and we had a pleasant chat about flying etc. He then asked what I wanted to do for a next project, and I told him the English sports car story. He smiled and said, "have I got a deal for you"

The end result of that conversation 11 years on is here...(the one on the left)

[img=http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6223/mgandytqjl4.th.jpg]

The car was a basket case when I started and I had to learn all kinds of new skills....the body work is nailed to an ash frame. No real dimensions, you put the wood together, nail on the steel panels and then kind of massage everything until it works. Getting the doors to fit etc. was a chore. The TD had its first drive in mid September this year.

Anyone else with interesting...projects.

Joe Hine
RV4 C-FYTQ
1953 MGTD

Projects...

Beautiful TD Joe!

You really got me thinking about all the fun I've had on projects over the years... I can't believe my wife approves of my crazy hobbies. Looking back on it, I married a really understanding woman. She was supportive on all these projects going on in the house:
  • 1975 VW Camper - full restoration, incl. engine rebuild
  • 1974 914 2.0 - partial restoration. Top end overhaul
  • 1970 911T - full engine rebuild and partial restoration
  • 1979 911SC - full restoration, incl paint, interior, engine and tranny rebuilds
  • 1983 911SC Cabrio - full engine rebuild
  • 1986 Honda CBR 600F Hurricane - full frame up restoration, paint, engine/tranny rebuild
  • Sonerai 2L - completed partially done project incl rebuild of VW motor
  • Steen Skybolt - partial restoration (everything except the wings)
  • RV-8 QB completed
And those are just the "project" machines. Me likes to tinker!

I'm twiddling my thumbs looking for my next project. I feel a Wag Aero J-3 Cub and a Norton Commando coming on in my future.

I loved the Morgan

Growing up in the UK I could never afford one but I always wanted a V8 version despite the fact the motor came out of a buick..:)

Frank

I used to have a Norton Atlas

that I rebuilt...it was like riding a dump truck!....Not fast (a bit slower than the CBR 600 in fact) but a fun machine.

Cheers

Frank

Previous projects

When I was younger, I built a helicopter:

tinkertoy_helicopter.jpg

We had pre-punched kits way back then too!

mcb

Pizza Oven

Well since you asked...:)

Wanted to keep my wife happy by finishing up some projects around the house. So, I finished the pavestone patio and built a wood fired brick pizza oven from scratch. Never laid bricks before, much less build a dome and arches out of them, but it turned out beautiful and makes unbelievable pizza. Found a great website/forum for it, just like this RV community.

House

My lovely Wife and I cut the roof off our 640 sq ft house (Shed) and expanded the whole thing to 1400sqft and did everything except the new kitchen cabinets and the concrete.

Everything else was us by ourselves...Currently thinking about adding a 2000sqft 2 strory extension...but just thinking about it right now.

Pic shows the almost the end.

Frank

Oh yes

and we were living in it during the construction and the worst downpour of the year happened just after we cut the roof off!

Lovely

About this time last year I took a month off from airplanes and did a frame-up on an '85 R80....good "run out the airport" bike. Of course I welded bracing into the frame, installed a few suspension bits, etc. Ex-racer...old habits die hard <g>

From this:

To this:

Victorian Style Carriage House

Victorian style carriage house for older bachelor pilot to live in. Downstairs is 2 bay garage, 1 bay shop sized for RV-6,7,9 fuselage & wings. Upstairs is 1 bedroom apartment. There will be rock fascia around the bottom (not there yet).

HPIM0355-400.jpg

Last edited:
I've started restoring an old Lido 14 sailboat... right now I'm prepping everything for fiberglass work, and after that's laid, I'll start the painting process.

Hatz CB-1

I just started building the wing ribs for my Hatz biplane project. It was started mainly as a boredom fighter for me at home. It will also give me a good reason to take up welding as the fuselage and tail are steel tube.
An open cockpit biplane will make a nice companion to my RV9.

hatzribs002mw8.jpg

Last edited:
Piano restoration

My sons and I restored this 1915 Hamilton Manualo in 2006. It took over my shop and caused all RV work to cease for nine months. We started with an unplayable wreck that was ready for the dump and we finished with a nice playing upright with a big sound. New strings, key tops, bushings, hammers, pedals, and extensive case, action, bridge, and sound board repairs. It doesn't make sense to lavish that much time and money on an old upright but we did it anyway. It should last another 90 years.

Before
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/6102/img1531cj7.jpg

After
http://img172.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1603ij8.jpg

Last edited:
COOL!

About this time last year I took a month off from airplanes and did a frame-up on an '85 R80....good "run out the airport" bike. Of course I welded bracing into the frame, installed a few suspension bits, etc. Ex-racer...old habits die hard <g>

From this:

To this:

A friend in college had an R90S that he used to lrt me ride on oxcasion (usually when the Norton Atlas was in pieces..again!)....really nice cruising bike, I loved t.

Frank

Wow Jack...A little different that my TD restoration and about 11 times the horsepower. Looks like a fabulous project. I'd have to win a lotter first though.

Seems all in all we are a hands on group, from Paul Tuttles paintings to restoring Pianos, much better than sitting and watching the tube...build on! RV's first, but what ever captures your fancy after your flying. I really like the old BMW bike as well.

Joe Hine
C-FYTQ

Joe
You're right. Got to keep busy all the time. Just got in from fixing a fuel leak around the fuel pump on the MG TF. Been workling on the 9A trying to get it finished this year, that I didn't drive the TF all summer because of the leak. Took about an hours work to fix it.....
Please note that I have the 1.5 litre engine with 63 hp, as compared to the 1.25 litre and 57hp as in your TD. No wimpy stuff for me !!!
What part of Canada are you in? My home town was Toronto many years ago.
Regards
Jack

<<Wow Jack...>>

Yeah! That car is bad to the bone, and I'm really jaded on cars.

<<I really like the old BMW bike as well.>>

Hey! 85 is isn't "old"...I had a '74 R90 right after BMW took the US Superbike title. These days if you tried to tell sportbike guys BMW once held the title, they would fall over like a Laugh-In skit.

Uh oh, I guess "Laugh-In" kinda dates me too.....

Great thread Joe. I haven't had any time to build my RV lately. I've been involved with some veterens from the Vietnam era and have been producing a number of paintings depicting their exploits. It looks like I may be tied up for a while longer doing this. Every time I go to the garage and see the 8 sitting there I wish I had a clone or something so I could work on both.

ptbt2.jpg

Buell X1 Lightning

This is a slow-burn project. I can enjoy the benefits of this while I'm working on the RV and working so much at the Real Job. It's a 2000 Buell X1 Lightning Millennium edition, which means it's a grunty air-cooled pushrod Harley Davidson engine shoehorned into a trellis sport bike frame. Just about all the mods, maintenance, and experimentation I want to do with the tuning or suspension can be done in less than a day and usually means the bike won't be taken offline for more than a couple of hours.

IMG_2449.JPG

other projects

I built a Kit airplane,,, a North Star by CustomFlightLTD.com. It is a like Super Cub with a lot of mods designed in. 180 hp Lycoming, 52 gal, wider fuse, bigger baggege, toe breaks, movable seat,
Fun airplane.
No more projects, more flying trips.

What part of Canada are you in? My home town was Toronto many years ago.

Hi again Jack

I live just outside of Fredericton New Brunswick...originally a Brit...my parents emigrated to Canada when I was a kid, I've lived all over Canada though, I was an airforce brat.

Joe

Joe
I'm just a few miles south of you on Cape Cod.
When I was getting my Trans-Atlantic waiver many years back, I had to stop in Moncton for an oral check with the MOT inspector..
Topography in N.B. is very similar to Cape Cod
Jack