Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I've been honored to have the chance to talk at a number of EAA events this year about the Shuttle program, and what the aircraft is like to fly. As part of my official duties, I do a fair number of "PR" events each year, and figured that if I could fill my quota by talking to pilots, it would be most enjoyable. Weather permitting, I'll be talking at the EAA Chapter 836 "Freedom Fly-in" in Ruston, Louisiana on Saturday. Of course, that is assuming that the weather gives me a few breaks to fly through from here to there - but I'd say the forecast is promising!

I gave this talk to some EAA'ers in Virginia on Tuesday night, and I'll tell you what, it really recharges me to see people interested in hearing abut what the Shuttle is like from an aviation perspective.

Paul

Should be a great time!

Paul,
I'm looking forward to meeting you and hearing you speak!
As a member of EAA Chapter 836 I'd like to thank you for the "plug".

To all,
I'd like to invite everyone to come to Ruston, LA Saturday morning. (KRSN)
We're planning for Paul to speak at 12:30.

We're honored to have Paul coming!

Mark

Was a Great Time!

I was privileged to attend Paul's talk the other night in Virginia and it was totally excellent.

Paul, one question I thought of afterwards: do all the flight directors get to fly the orbiter simulators or do you get to do it because you're a pilot?

Thanks again.

Jack Fromm said:
Paul, one question I thought of afterwards: do all the flight directors get to fly the orbiter simulators or do you get to do it because you're a pilot?

Good question Jack. The short answer is that it depends on our backgrounds.

Long answer - We select Flight Directors with an eye on keeping a balance of expertise in the office - some are systems experts, some come from the trajectory world, others from Flight Planning. Each Flight Director brings a unique background to the office and shares that. I did much of my Shuttle simulator and development work when I was a Flight Controller working on landing and deceleration improvements - Nose wheel Steering, Brakes, Tires, and the Drag Chute. Before that, I did a lot of in-cockpit procedure development, validation, and testing. Coupled with my aviation background, that pretty much makes me the "pilot stuff" expert in the office. I try to make sure that we keep in mind that fact that we are flying a piloted aircraft, and that traditional aviation has taught us a lot, and will continue to teach us if we pay attention.

Paul

What a Great Day!

The Ruston Fly-in really turned to be a fun day tip - and not just because I got to talk about the Shuttle to aviation-minded people who had great questions! The weather both up and back turned out to be pleasant VFR with a few deviations around showers (OK, one HUGE one over Houston on my return, but it was easy to avoid, as it wasn't over my field...). As I entered the pattern at Ruston and called Final, I was asked if I wanted to enter the spot landing contest, so I figured I must have come to the right airport!

I really enjoyed talking with the members of the EAA Chapter sponsoring the event, and I thought they had a great turnout. One of the highlights of the day for me was a chance to ride in the back of a Turbine Legend - and man, what a ride it was! Smooth, powerful - a takeoff with about 60% torque still had us climbing out at 4,000 fpm! Once we got some altitude, I got a chance to try it for myself, and it was very jet-like - great visibility, harmonious - a delight to fly.

IMG_1507.JPG

IMG_1508.JPG

I can't thank the owner and pilot, Rene' Dugas enough for the opportunity - and I would be remiss if I didn't thank my host, Mark Burns (RV-7A Builder) for setting up the ride and everything else.

Seeing as I was the guest speaker, I really didn't expect them to consider me for any of the awards, but apparently they think Houston is some distance away, because I flew away with the "Greatest Distance Traveled" plaque, as well as one of the judging awards - what a great group of folks, and a very enjoyable day.

Paul

smenkhare said:
got any spots open there?

Civil Servant (NASA) billets are always scarce, but good people will always find a way to get into the program - often-times through our contractors. United Space Alliance is always on the look-out!

Paul

Having Paul speak was the highlight of the Fly-in!

It was great to finally meet Paul and I can highly recommend him as a guest speaker!
His presentation on the shuttle was really interesting.

I had more than one person tell me that he "made" the Fly-in. People were thanking me for asking him to come :D

We had a fun time and the hamburgers were really good too!

Here's a few more photo's.

freedomflyin2007011jo6.jpg

freedomflyin2007025od3.jpg

freedomflyin2007044zm8.jpg

freedomflyin2007016gj0.jpg