fmarino1976

Well Known Member
I was playing with autocad today, here is what I came up with. I know that there are going to be a lot of opinions in favor and againt it, but I just want to hear what you guys think.
- Does it look good?
- Is it feasible?
- Less drag -> Faster?

This is my first time trying to post a pic, so I hope it works

By fmarino1976

Last edited:
Oh boy...I'm running now...:eek:

Actually, it looks good, but you would probably have to go through some pretty extensive modifications, especially in the tail, to even think about it. And I seriously doubt that there's enough of a demand for it.

Nice job though.:)

IF ONLY!!!!!

Be still my heart.

Unfortunately, I can imagine a lot of structural issues with the gear mounts, all 3 of them.

Sure does look good as a conventional.

How about sweeping the mains back like the -3's, 4's, etc.? I'm not a huge fan of the cosmetics of the tri gears or the straight legs like on the -8.......

Verrrrrrrrry Interesting

I was initially VERY put off by the appearance of the tri-gear RV-10. I have a similar rendering I made 2 1/2 years ago. When I ordered my emp kit I was fully intending to modify the airframe and convert it to conventional gear, I even contacted a builder assist shop about help with the modifications to the gear and the engine mounts. researched the options available for mounting the gear, and how to determine where to position it to maintain a reasonable cg. I put out a similar inquiry to the old RV-10 Yahoo list. Didn't get much help there. Ultimately I decided to stick to the standard tri-gear configuration, and to appease myself with numerous less severe modifications that kept the airframe design and integrity intact. I credit the taildragger concept with making the decision on the RV-10. Without that initial intent/direction I would have passed on the -10. So for me it was a sort of bait and switch! One of the things that helped me was to envision the entry and exit for the rear seat passengers. In a taildragger version. Entry and exit would be a real athletic challenge for those passengers! I still think the appearance of the -10 could be dramatically improved with the addition of a swept vertical stab. I have made several renderings of that mod as well. Perhaps after I get this puppy flying, I'll reconsider that as a later ' add-on'.

Deems

http://www.deemsrv10.com/

Here's a thumbnail of my 'taildragger' RV10....hard for me to believe that this is what it looked like a year ago. It was 'converted' to a nosedragger the following day.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
The gear box would be difficult and heavy for an airplane of this weight. Also you probably need to move the gear back somewhat. Typically the axle is almost directly below the leading edge of the wing. Rule of thumb is that the axle should be ~15 degrees forward of the C/G.