Steve Ashby

Well Known Member
Sponsor
This is off topic, but today I saw an Omega Speedmaster watch, the kind worn by the Apollo astronauts. Way cool. It was $3k at the Tourneau watch shop at Lennox Square in Atlanta, but an internet search revealed prices as low as $1,750 new and about $1k on ebay. I would like to hear opinion from other watch afficionados (including our fearless leader) about this watch. Is an internet purchase too risky? Is this watch really worth it? I figure that, since it is flight qualified by NASA for all manned missions, when NASA decides to put its first divorce lawyer into space, they might give me a call and I will not need to go watch shopping before accepting the flight.
Steve Ashby

I wouldn't buy vintage watch from anyone but a reputable dealer. There are tons of counterfeits floating around these days.

Incidentally, we have an old 1962 18k Constellation kicking around. It never gets worn. A $20 Timex keeps better time, lights up at night and just works better for me as a flying watch. The Constellation is a fantastic timepiece and very collectible but I find it makes a better conversation piece :D

You just might like it...

Steve,

I love talking about mechanical pilot watches. I also have a fascination with the Apollo program that makes me like this particular watch.

The Omega Speedmaster Professional (a.k.a. Speedy Pro) is one nice mechanical chronograph and was, in fact, my first ?fancy? watch purchase. I bought mine from California over the phone from Feldmar Watch ([url="http://www.feldmarwatch.com/"]www.FeldmarWatch.com[/url]) for around $1500 if memory serves (it was back in 2000 and I thought I had extra money for some reason at the time). New in box. Fully insured.

I plan on giving it to my children when I'm old and gone.

I still wear it often and I have great memories associated with it:
  • I wore it when I held my son for the first time.
  • I wore it when I soloed my RV-6 for the first time.
  • I met Frank Borman while wearing it. (Apollo 8)
  • I met Alan Bean while wearing. (walked on Moon wearing one on Apollo 12)
  • I met Buzz Aldrin while wearing it.
  • I met Paul Dye wearing it ;) .
I think I could get all my money back as I have the autographs of both Mr. Borman and Mr. Bean on the box.

It?s not a watch where you can glance for a half second and tell how long the stopwatch has been running, but it IS a watch you can wear every day ? in the office and in the plane. It has a heavy feel to it and has one of those timeless, uncluttered looks to it that never goes out of style.

I?ve said this somewhere else?.only 1 in a 1000 people will know the history, but you?ll be happy to own one at some time during your life.

Here?s Pete Conrad wearing his on his left elbow in the Ocean of Storms (1969). Alan Bean took the photo (the person I met).

postcard600.jpg

There is a pretty good read on pilot watches at: http://www.timezone.com/library/comarticles/comarticles631681541115674669

Remember, a $20 Casio keeps more accurate time. But, that's not the point <g>.

b,
d

Last edited:
Speedy Moon Watch

The speedy is a great watch, I've owned a couple and they have all been reliable and a joy to own. I also have a thing for manual wind watches and find them charming. The speedy can be had from many reliable sources but personally I don't shop watches on ebay. I haven't heard of to many fake moon watches unless you are talking a vintage cal 321 models which are kinda rare these days. bottom line, if you like the watch and have a reliable source it's a great watch buy it! You can see some pics of the ones I've owned on my website under the alligator straps section. I had a limited "peanuts" edition that I kinda wish I would have kept, but alas you can't keep them all. If you need some help finding one let me know!