AX-O

Well Known Member
Today I finished making a clock out of an old junky TF-30 fan. I bought a clock and took it apart, then used a cut out from one of the RV-8 tank ribs to fabricate a center section. The center section holds all the guts for the clock. I think it turned out nice. My biggest problem is going to be how to mount it on a wall. The fan easily weights 50 lbs. what do you guys think?

from this...
FP04062007A0004I.jpg

to this...
FP04062007A0004J.jpg

and this....
FP04062007A0004K.jpg

time, gimme time!

That's pretty cool.

I think I would go without the numbers on it. The holes may throw you off a bit at first glance. But it looks like a piece of art, more-so without numbers. :D

Jeff

aviation art

I love that clock, but yeah, it is kind of heavy to put on a wall. I would open the wall and put some support in before hanging it.

I have made a couple of table lamps out of trashed cylinders. I have one and I sold one to a gent in Cal.

What is neat is that you touch the spark plug and the lamp lights. Touch it again and it gets brighter. Three levels of brightness. Touch again and it shuts off. I tell people to touch the spark plug and they balk. They think they are going to get zapped. I have cylinders to make six more. If anyone is interested I will make them a lamp very similar to the one pictured in the following link. The price is $250.00 plus shipping (about $35.00). Takes about 2-3 weeks to put one together. Sorry for the shameless plug, but this is one way I am financing my wing kit as my paycheck forbids it till I get full time work.

http://davidnellis.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album17&id=lamp1

Dave Nellis
7A Slider
N410DN (Res.)
Empennage finished and hanging in the garage
3.6 feet of wing paid for, 21.4 yet to be financed.

[email protected]
[email protected]

Last edited:
brianwallis said:
Very impressed... so where do we pick up these used aircraft parts?
Best
Brian

I have been able to find parts at airplane junk/salvage yards.

jcaplins said:
That's pretty cool.

I think I would go without the numbers on it. The holes may throw you off a bit at first glance. But it looks like a piece of art, more-so without numbers. :D

Jeff

I think I am going to remove the numbers. You are one of many that said the same thing.

To hang it, just use a single 3/8" lag bolt and sink it several inches into a stud.

This is how I hung my 6x6 Elk mount, which weighs near 50#.