robertahegy

Moderator/Tech Counselor
Another Great year at EAA. I was, again, able to volunteer in Showplane Registration. We counted over 500 RVs registered during the event. The Glacier Girl, Spaceship I, White Knight, Global Flyer, all the RVs, Warbirds, Classics, and the forums, vendors, and airshows were all wonderful, but the biggest thrill was meeting Mike Melville, shaking his hand, and having him autograph my special EAA hat was the high point for me.

Mike was registering the White Knight and Spaceship I with my hubby, Rich. I did not recognize Mike at first. Rich new him right away when he started to register the planes. Well, Rich asked me how he could convert thrust to HP. I responded by telling Rich the "man" would probably need to register with the warbirds. Mike started to say something, I instantly recognized his voice, and proceeded to remove my foot from my mouth. I asked Mike if he was who I thought he was and he replied "Probably". Knock me over with a feather!!! Anyway, Mike graciously posed for photos and signed hats for us in the booth. What a Great Guy!!!

Seems there is always a great memory with every EAA.

SIGH, only 358 more days.

I missed out on flying my 7A to EAA due to a bad sinus infection. By the time I was up to flying, the week was nearly over. Next Year!!!

Roberta

Roberta I envy you bigtime. Maybe if I finish this plane I can make it next year :rolleyes:

-Jeff

It was good to meet you

I was glad to meet you. Maybe next year you can fly in from Dayton.

Bob Axsom

Ohh what a great time. This was my first Osh and I can't wait for next year. I had a couple of friends, from my home airport, fly in and I sure was jealous. I can't wait to finish my 7 so I can make that flight. I spent one day just taking pictures of the RVs there, thank goodness for digital camers. I too got Mike Melvill to sign my hat and take a picture with me. It was too cool standing infront of the Global flyer, White Knight, and a Beachcraft Starship and not having to move a step, its amazing what Burt Rutan has done for aviation.

Keep bangin' in those rivets, Jeff. It'll happen.

Great meeting you, too, Bob.

EAA!!! WOW!!! I love it!!!

Roberta

Except for tuesday night when my tent got blown flat in the 64 mph wind gusts and 3 inches of rain - Airventure 2005 was the best ever. I can't wait for next year - here is a Link for all of the RV pictures I took. There were just too many RV's there to get them all!

Amen!

Amen to all that has been said! Connie and I just got back about an hour ago. What a drive! In two weeks I drove from Houston to Rapid City South Dakota where Connie was visiting her mother, then on to Oshkosh, and then back to Houston. A total drive of about 3300 miles.

I am pooped, but it was worth every minute of driving. We didn't arrive at Oshkosh until Tuesday morning. At first I was disappointed we couldn't get there earlier but after hearing and seeing the results of the hurricane that hit the camp Monday night, I am glad we didn't get there earlier. The weather the rest of the week was text book perfect. We walked our tails off but had a great time.

The Warbird display on Friday and Saturday was just aswesome. Seeing 200+ (I don't exactly how many) planes in the air at one time was a site to behold and hear. Seeing the last flight of the White Knight and seeing the global flyer was an added treat. Hearing the talk about how they recovered glacier girl was very awesome. OK a plane got lost and got dug up from a glacier. No big deal right? Yes a very big deal! Under 200 feet of ice and working in 20 below zero temps is a very big deal. Setting up a boiler to create 185 degree water to pump into a big cylinder lined with copper tubing to melt a huge hole down into the ice is a big deal. Then creating an ice cavern around the plane and then disassembling it to hoist the pieces up through the hole is a very big deal. Then having a refrigerator sized chunk of ice fall into the hole and totally crush the cockpit is a big deal. Then totally taking the plane apart piece by piece and restoring it to a flying airplane is a very big deal. Just awesome!

The forums were outstanding as well. We learned enough to be dangerous about gas welding, TIG welding, sheet metal work, fiberglass work for RVs, subaru engines, aerodynamics 101, plane insurance, RV Building Tips, Top 10 reasons engines quit, first flight for homebuilts, and we laughed our butts off at two sessions by Rod Machado. There were others forums we attended that I can't even remember at this time.

The vendor booths were good. Everyone I could think of was in attendance. It was good to see and touch the "stuff." Some of the new light sport aircraft are pretty neat although I think a bit pricey. They made me appreciate the value of an RV. To be fair these are certificated and fully assembled aircraft but still most of them were in the 75K+ range. We saw some pretty cool personal 2 place jets (if they can be called that) that I drooled over. I would love to get behind the stick of my own Viper jet.

The camping was good, the hot dog BBQ sponsored by Bob Collins was fun, and the food was par for a major event. We started every day at 5AM with hot showers in the camp showers, a quick campfire breakfast, and cleaning up the camp. Then we started the 1 mile (exactly) walk to the front gate (We have to get there earlier next time to get a closer camp site). We didn't get back to camp until about 6 PM, had a quick hot dog or burger and then off we went with another 1+ mile walk to the Theater in the woods for the evening programs and entertainment. We usually got back to the camp at about 10 or 10:30 PM and were ready for bed. Then we got up with the sun the next day and did it all over again.

We are definitely pooped but we were sorry to see it come to an end.

I didn't take many RV pictures but it looks like everyone else covered that area pretty well. I have a few pictures I will post tomorrow after I get a good night's sleep in my own bed.

I only have two suggestions. These are not gripes, mind you, as we were 100% happy with everything:

I would like to see more variety in the food. I know the service is let through a bid process but I think there could be more than one vendor to provide a little more variety and spur the competition. I would like to see some of the local fast food places such as McDonalds, or Wendys, or Arby's, or Chick Fil-A, get a shot to participate. Maybe this is not possible but I would like to see it happen if it is possible.

The transportation could be better. There were busses and shuttles running but they never seemed to be available when needed. We got caught at Van's tent one night at 8PM and of course all of the shuttles quit running at 8. It was about a 2 mile walk back to our camp site. Again not complaining as I can use the exercise but I would like to suggest that they take a lesson from Disney and have continuous shuttles moving up and down the main east/west street in the campground. Every morning and every evening there was a large and constant flow of people walking up and down this street which is about a mile long in itself. There should be several trams doing nothing but going up and down this street to shuttle people from the ends of their camp rows to and from the main gate.

Everything was really excellent. There was so much to do and see that we never got bored. We were constantly being challenged to figure out how we could see everything we wanted to see and do. Next year we will not try to see everything and we will do a better job of prioritizing our agenda. We will try to relax a little more and just shoot the breeze with fellow builders. We will also volunteer to help out now that we have an idea of how it works.

I didn't get my tailkit ordered at the show as I had planned but I am really pumped and plan to order it this week.

Overall we were thrilled with our experience and we are already looking forward to next year.

My advise to everyone is go early, stay late, and volunteer. Oh yeah, if you plan to arrive Tuesday or later, be sure to pack your ear plugs as you will be camping close to HWY 41. The road noise can be a little disturbing at night without earplugs. Fortunately, we had ours with us in anticipation of some loud military jet demonstrations. We never gave the road noise a second thought.

Back to the grind and saving my pennies for next year's trip.

Tom Maxwell said:
but I would like to suggest that they take a lesson from Disney and have continuous shuttles moving up and down the main east/west street in the campground.
I think they run the shuttle buses in Camp Scholler until 10:30 or 11. I know I also got a bus on Tuesday in the South 40 around 9. They had two running between the Cafe and the turnaround around row 90-something.

I'm not sure what time they stop running the trams, though. Can't recall seeing many of them.

I only had two disappointments;

1. What's up with Wick's Aircraft? Their booth this year was postage stamp size and they brought almost NOTHING with them. This is where I annually get a bottle of Alumiprep for $8. I think they were pushing their Web site, by offering free shipping except, of course, for hazardous materials, which makes it pointless for getting my Alumiprep. Not sure what I'm going to do now but I refuse to pay those stupid hazardous material fees. Hope Wick's reconsiders their decision to go small.

2. A few less self-important AirVenture officials on John Deere gators, and golf carts and Ford Explorers would make the place a tad more pedestrian friendly. I'm kinda surprised more people don't get hit.

I enjoyed watching all the RVs. The Thursday formation was fabulous whoever you are.

You know, about 3 days into AirVenture I inevitably get to the "what was I thinking when I started this project" phase after seeing the products people are putting into the planes and the cost of some of this stuff. I need to get Richard Branson interested in an RV7A project in Minnesota.

But all in all, I thought it was the best AirVenture ever.

Hey , anybody see that Trimotor try to take a shortcut from one taxiway to another on Thursday via a ditch? Almost saw a three-blad prop strike. Crazy move.

Airshow food

I would like to see more variety in the food. I know the service is let through a bid process but I think there could be more than one vendor to provide a little more variety and spur the competition. I would like to see some of the local fast food places such as McDonalds, or Wendys, or Arby's, or Chick Fil-A, get a shot to participate.
One thing I really like about SNF is the variety of food. They have a lot of stuff you can't get anywhere else - really unique tastes.

Totally agree on getting there early - I arrived Sunday afternoon and had to settle with 7th ave next to the freeway. The long walks resulted in blisters on all my toes by Tuesday afternoon! The few times I waited for the bus, it was a good half hour - even hobbling on hamburger feet I could beat the bus back to camp otherwise. The good news - I lost 6 pounds with all the walking I did! Next year as soon as I get there I'm buying a $50 bike from Walmart and giving it to some kid on the way out at the end of the week...

We were camping about the same area, until our tent collapsed on us Monday night! We left and spent the night in Green Bay, but returned on Tuesday. Couldn't get back to our orig campsite as I didn't want to risk getting our car stuck in the mud. Ended up closer to the west store/showers.

As far as the bike goes, on Tuesday my wife had the same idea, except she was going to go to the salvation army and see what they had! She decided that next year she is going to do it. We were there for M-F and only found the bus/tram available once or twice.

Other than that, for our first time at Osh, we thought it was a well run event.

Baja_Traveler said:
Totally agree on getting there early - I arrived Sunday afternoon and had to settle with 7th ave next to the freeway. The long walks resulted in blisters on all my toes by Tuesday afternoon! The few times I waited for the bus, it was a good half hour - even hobbling on hamburger feet I could beat the bus back to camp otherwise. The good news - I lost 6 pounds with all the walking I did! Next year as soon as I get there I'm buying a $50 bike from Walmart and giving it to some kid on the way out at the end of the week...

Bikes

Baja_Traveler said:
....Next year as soon as I get there I'm buying a $50 bike from Walmart and giving it to some kid on the way out at the end of the week...

Hmmmm, sounds like a business opportunity. Bike and scooter rentals!

5149.jpg

Last edited:
Baja_Traveler said:
That's odd. I got there on Sunday afternoon and I was on 12th and I was the only one on the entire street.

Re: bike. Do what we do. Just leave the bike unlocked in the corral on the last day. It's amazing how fast they disappear.

BTW, if you don't take the shuttle bus, you don't get a chance to talk to two of the nicest people in all of Oshkosh; the drivers. I also notice almost nobody ever tosses the 25 cents into the box.

Bob Collins said:
That's odd. I got there on Sunday afternoon and I was on 12th and I was the only one on the entire street.

Re: bike. Do what we do. Just leave the bike unlocked in the corral on the last day. It's amazing how fast they disappear.

I took the first flight out to Chicago from San Diego - put me there at 5pm, then the drive up to OSH had me pulling in at 8pm. What a difference a few hours makes! In fact - come to think of it, by Monday afternoon the rows were filled all the way up to 4th or 3rd - so the place fills up that fast. After the big one hit Monday night we had a few around us bug out and either go home or to a hotel 100 miles away.

How I know I need to re-paint my plane...

I go to all of these Oshkosh picture collections, and not a single picture of my plane! :)

This was my second trip to Oshkosh, but my first time flying in. I think it will be years before I can hear the word 'Ripon' without cringing. Wow! I can't remember a more tense half hour in my 500 hours of flying!

I'm interested to know what time of day you arrived over Ripon. I live 80NM Northeast of OSH and plan to fly my 6A there next year. The plan is to arrive on the Saturday before the show starts, early in the AM.

The arrival over Ripon is the one factor that concerns me, as eveyone is coming in from all directions.

Thanks for the info

Regards,

Over Ripon? No, I don't think I'll ever get over Ripon...

It was about 10:30 am, and it was a mess. The controllers were telling everyone to stay at Ripon - don't start towards Fisk until we tell you to.

By the time (30 minutes later) they started letting us back in, there were probably 30+ planes circling the town. I was lucky and had just gotten to the start of the RR tracks to Fisk, so I was first in line. That was great since I didn't have to jockey for position in line and didn't have to worry about spacing in trail.

I left Sat. morning at about 9:30 am. I listened to 120.7 on my way out and it didn't seem nearly as hectic. My theory (completely unproven - possibly way wrong) is that getting there early in the am is better.

Ripon arrival

I got to Ripon approx. 9:00 AM Sunday morning. Traffic was very light compared to what I seen coming in around noon on Sunday. It was my first time flying into OshKosh and I had no trouble and look forward to doing it again. One thing about it the sequence, landing patterns, railroad tracks, radio tower, Fisk, and the dots on the runway are all just as described in the NOTAM. Read the NOTAM thoroughly and you will have no problem. The issue I seen was aircraft and pilots of all sorts trying to maintain 1800 MSL and 90 KTS. and stay over the railroad tracks. The issue is NOT following the NOTAM it is keeping your eyes out of the cockpit while maintaining some slow flight. There are alot of airplanes but once you are single file at Ripon going to Fisk it really is just a matter of following, unless you are the first person they break out of the line to go to a different runway then you better know the correct procedure from Fisk to that runway. All in all I loved it and will do it again in a heartbeat.