prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm thinking of making my first-ever visit to Oshkosh this year. Of course, it's not for several months but a couple of questions:

1. I've heard most people camp. Do I have to book a campsite ahead of time? Is there a website or something for this?

2. Should I plan on buying some of my big-ticket avionics there? Are there usually better prices available at Oshkosh than by buying over the internet?

3. Anything else in particular that a first-time Oshkosher should plan ahead for?

Thanks!

Phil

osh

Hey Phil.
Last year was my first time. Couple of notes. Yes there are some good deals, they are often made public just before. Check last years archives. If you know EXACTLY what you want, model, harness and prices...they are fair. You do have to pay Wis taxes, which you wouldnt have to pay if they shipped it directly to you instead of taking it with you. But with the border issues, the wis tax is likely worth paying. As for camping, we took our large trailer and i have the following suggestions. I booked in a private campground that is in the MIDDLE of the fun. We didnt move the vehicle once. Walked everywhere and had a great time. Our benefit with the private site was there was hydro, so i didnt have to listen to generators all day (I know the non stop chopper rides drown that noise out anyway) but our beer was always cold and the coffee ready in the am. Just my 02 cents worth. As for the days to go, we went for the last half of the week. Airshows seem to get better and longer heading into the final weekend, and the crowd seems to change a bit to locals and non aviation folks more so than mid week. This year i am going for the first half to enjoy the smaller crowds and the inflow of tons of aircraft. Take a good fold up lawn chair for the air shows and good walking shoes and several credit cards with big limits. Good luck.

Camping

Are you flying or driving? If flying in, you can pitch a tent next to your airplane, so your guaranteed a spot for your tent.

If you are driving in, the EAA campgrounds are first come, first served. They open up 30 days prior to the opening day, and the really good spots are pretty much gone that first day. That said, there is always space in the cheap seats, but you might be a mile away from the gate. Bring a bicycle to get from your campsite to the gate.

Don't have any experience with the private campgrounds, but those who use them seem happy with them.

OSH

Don't forget the dorms at U. Wis. Oskosh. Not a bad price and breakfast at the cafeteria is excellent and well worth the price. Transportation to and from is by special city busses. Only a couple of bucks a day and frequent service. Phone #'s should be on the website.

Bring a bicycle to get from your campsite to the gate.

OK - I'll let you in on my secret - I fly in commercial to Chicago and rent a car there (cheaper flight, available cars at a reasonable price etc... and the drive to Oshkosh isnt bad at all) In Oshkosh there is a Wallmart just the next exit up from Camp Scholler, there you can buy a bike for $50. I peddle it back and forth from my camp to the front gate all week (as has been said before - your tent will be about a mile walk from the action). There is a bike corral right at the front gate to park it. It'll save probably 20 miles of wear and tear on your feet - which will get plenty of work anyways. When you leave give the bike to some local kid, or dump it in a Salvation Army bin. The key is you have to get there pretty much on the first day of the show or the bikes are all sold out - or look for a Wallyworld in another town.

Camping

I arrived at Oshkosh on Saturday last year. The campground was rapidly filling up, but the check-in process was very well organized and the line moved quickly. As others have said, most of the best sites are taken a month before AirVenture starts...having said that, I cruised the campground and found a good spot one block from a showerhouse and one block from a camp store.

My site was right on the shuttle bus route and I thought the shuttle bus system worked pretty well after Sunday (Sat and Sun the new drivers were learning the routes). I didn't need to walk much and never felt I needed a bike.

The showers always seemed to have hot water, cold brew and ice were available at the camp store, etc. All in all, a well-run campground considering its size-the place is huge!!

I stayed all week, met a lot of great people and had a great time.

How do you camp? If tenting, be aware that it usually rains pretty well at least once during the show. Pick high ground!

I flew commercial to Milwaukee, stayed in the dorms, ate breakfast in the student union, dinner at the dorm cafeteria. Unless you pay more for the air conditioned dorms, you will want a fan as it gets pretty hot and humid, not cooling off much at night, about $8 for a small fan at Walmart.

Avionics can often be had at Oshkosh prices from the vendor's regular store. Call during Oshkosh week and ask for the Oshkosh price. OTH, you get a chance to see the product & talk with a sales person who really knows the product when you are at the airshow.

Richard Scott
RV-9A Fuselage

Phil:

There is information here about all the various housing options (camping, dorms, private homes, etc.)

I've done them all over the years, and I have to say that camping in Camp Schoeller is the most fun (with the obvious exception of camping next to your airplane, which cannot be beat.)

The earlier you get there, the farther east (toward the flightline) you'll be able to camp, although several times I've been able to move closer to the action several times during the week as people left. If you're camped way in the back, it's not a bad idea to bring (or buy) a cheap bike, as Baja Traveler said above.

As far as buying avionics and stuff, I have gotten some pretty good deals over the years by waiting until the last day to buy. It's not a guaranteed thing, but every once in a while, a dealer will sell something for 10-15% off because he doesn't want to ship it home. I bought a torque wrench that way from Avery last year.

See you there!

Don't eat on the grounds the food is some of worst and most expensive you can find anywhere. Eat in the local restaurants prices are very reasonable and good.

Phil,
I have travelled to Oshkosh from Ottawa many times. How are you planning to get there? I have driven from Ottawa, both the northern and southern route, flown (commercially) Ottawa-Toronto-Milwaukee-Oshkosh, Ottawa-Chicago, Syracuse-Chicago, Ottawa-Sault-Ste.Marie.
I have camped at Scholler, stayed with a family in Oshkosh, and stayed in a hotel in Green Bay.
So, there are lots of possibilities (and eventually I will fly my project there).
The most flexible and cheapest (and I think the best of the above options other than flying your own plane in) is to drive, and camp at Camp Scholler - it is right at the airport, good facilities (shops, showers), you don't book in advance and it never fills up. And you will certainly meet people. Arrive when you want, and leave when you've had your fill.
Take sunscreen, flip flops for the showers, a cooler for the beer, a couple of lawn chairs, camping stuff, camera, and you're set. Buy the program when you arrive and plan the forums you want to attend, and the exhibitors you want to talk to. (or plan it in advance if you like from the Airventure web site
If you've got kids, visit the Oshkosh B'Gosh store before you head back.
If you drive and take the northern route, you can overnight on the U.S side in Sault Ste. Marie.
Bill
RV-6A
fuselage in progress
Ottawa, Canada

Thanks Bill, I'll probably be going down with a buddy from Kitchener, so will be doing the southerly route.
Camp Scholler, is there a way to book a site there ahead of time?

Thanks Bill, I'll probably be going down with a buddy from Kitchener, so will be doing the southerly route.
Camp Scholler, is there a way to book a site there ahead of time?

Nope, you just show up. They have never filled up, so it's not a big deal.

Don't overlook staying with locals. I get TV, A/C, shower, clothes washed, b-fast, adult beverages at night, vehicle (if I need it), basket ball games, & horseshoes, for $45 a night. AND some of the best friends I have ever met.

If you know someone who has been there several times, buddy up and have them show you around. If not, meet with some of us. It can really be overwhelming your first time. The bike idea sounds great!

For years we went for three days and came home exhausted. Now we go for the week and have a much more relaxed time and don't get as tired. Don't try to see it all in a short time, because you can't really see it all in the whole week anyway. A relaxing break from the hot walking (or rain) is to spend half a day or so in the museum. Plan on having a great time!!

Bob Kelly

I'm a camper and fully believe in it as the ultimate Oshkosh experience. That may change as I get older. :D I am warming to the idea of renting a house on the lake.

I hope you go. If we have the Oshkosh BBQ this year and you're in the campground, you won't have to worry about a ride back to town.

The other thing about the campground "filling up": not everyone stays for the whole show. So people come and go and are replaced by others. Lots of folks seem to pull out on Thursday, for example, which opens up lots of good spots for the following weekend.