sprucemoose

Well Known Member
oshwx.jpg

Those of you who think you're going to come to Wisconsin to get away from the heat have another thing coming, at least for the early arrivals. By the weekend it will be back down into the low 80s, perfect weather, with very little rain!

One nice side effect of the hot, dry summer we've been having- the mosquito population is about as low as I have ever seen it. Nothing at all like the onslaught that we suffered through last year as part of Sloshkosh. I'd still pack a can of bug spray, and don't forget to tie down your airplane good and tight. Tie downs are not just for thunderstorms; occasionally a wayward randy mosquito will try to mate with an airplane and have been known to carry one a good distance before giving up the affair. You've been warned!

Looking good for a friday launch. This will make packing easier, Shorts, sunscreen and bug spray, but no parka or umbrella.

See you next week.....I'll be the giant grin wearing a yellow RV-7.:D

Hey Jeff, I need a covered spot to keep my freshly painted RV9 out of the sun. Preferably air conditioned or fanned by some hot chicks with large...palm branches. Can you help me out?

Seriously though, we might have a 4 ship RV9 group. I'll bet that has never ever occurred before at OSH.

The weather forecast looks great!

Considering that our nightly low temps here have been in the 80's, and 43 of the past 45 days have been 100 or hotter, I don't think I'm gonna mind the Wisconsin daytime highs in the 80-90's one bit ;)

I don't have room for folding chairs in the back of my -7. Is there a place near by to buy some?

One week to go!!:)

Darren

Hey Jeff, I need a covered spot to keep my freshly painted RV9 out of the sun. Preferably air conditioned or fanned by some hot chicks with large...palm branches. Can you help me out?

Seriously though, we might have a 4 ship RV9 group. I'll bet that has never ever occurred before at OSH.

The weather forecast looks great!

Jeff, when you arrange those hot chicks with large ... fans, I sacrificially offer my services to fan the poor girls so that they don't perspire on his freshly-painted airplane. It's the least that I can do to serve a fellow RVer. :)

Way to go!!!

Nice Jeff!!! You had to go and jinx it, didn't you? We may have to start on the Scotch on Saturday evening!!!

Can't wait. WallyWorld or the local grocery store has the cheapo chairs.

Friday
Jul 22
An afternoon t-storm or two 90?Lo 68?

Saturday
Jul 23
Partly sunny with a t-storm 89?Lo 69?

Sunday
Jul 24
Mostly sunny and hot 93?Lo 65?

This is what Accuweather is giving..I think there's better odds in gambling than trying to get long range weather correct.

That would be a mistake. Bring a sweatshirt too. ;-)

a sweatshirt? I'm from Montana and shaped more like a grizzly bear, then an antelope. I haven't worn a coat or sweatshirt since May when we still had snow on the ground. As long as it isn't getting below 40 at night I'm wearing shorts.....might pack some fleece and windbreaker for emergency wear or use as a pillow. :D

Brian, you gotta understand something. These southern types are weather wimps. Let's see them all come back in about 6 months. 110F. Hah! Try 130 degrees less than that and see how they do!

@Darwin- if we have to start on the scotch early, so be it. I just hope Glenn brings a grownup sized bottle this time! I'll bring my snowblower just in case I really jinxed it.

Brian, you gotta understand something. These southern types are weather wimps. Let's see them all come back in about 6 months.

I'm both a weather wimp and smart enough not to visit Wisconsin in the winter. ;-)

As someone who is acclimated to lows in the 70's in the summer with highs in the 90's, the occasional 50F, overcast, and drizzly Oshkosh morning is a chiller!

Temps/dewpoints not so refreshing...

Interesting weather here in Minnesota this week - dewpoints forecast to be in the mid to high 70's through the week...hopefully will break by Oshkosh!

DP was over 80 earlier, here is current 7:10pm:

high%252520dewpoint.JPG

This is what Accuweather is giving..I think there's better odds in gambling than trying to get long range weather correct.[/QUOTE]

+!

Admitted Temp Wimp

Yep, I do not like cold!!! Don't care for extreme heat either but at least in AZ it is the infamous, "dry heat."

Last week I was in Lafayette, LA getting checked out in another helicopter for work. The temp averaged 93 with humidity between 75 and 95%. I've never sweat so much in my life. No AC in the 2 million dollar training aircraft.:eek:

So, the other evening, I just arrive to work to relieve the day pilot. We got a call. 6:50 pm. It was 109. No real humidity. Today 114!! Fortunately, the patient didn't weigh 400 pounds.

Am I looking forward to OSH? Can you really save 15% or more by switching to Gieco?

heatindex.jpg

You Texas and Arizona types who thing that you'll be coming to the upper Midwest to escape the heat... think again. And no, it is not a dry heat. Not even close.

Misery

This is a funny thread (at last). Watching people argue about who can handle more misery. I'd venture to say no one will die and shade will be at a premium as it always is. For those of us that haven't seen rain since early May, we will miss the annual Oshkosh thunderstorm.

Scotch?

Scotch? Did somebody say SCOTCH? As in whisky?

Hmmm ... I wasn't planning to fly in until Saturday, but perhaps I shall amend my priorities and plan a Friday arrival. :D

We talkin' single malts or blends? And where do I find you? ;)

Scotch? Did somebody say SCOTCH? As in whisky?

Hmmm ... I wasn't planning to fly in until Saturday, but perhaps I shall amend my priorities and plan a Friday arrival. :D

We talkin' single malts or blends? And where do I find you? ;)

What ever you'd like to provide, Don. The better the blend, the friendlier Jeff can be. You want a good parking place? Get the good stuff.:D

What ever you'd like to provide, Don. The better the blend, the friendlier Jeff can be. You want a good parking place? Get the good stuff.:D

I think I have a new bottle of Ardbeg "Beast" that might be delightful to share. If he's holding out for some Johnny Walker Blue, he'll have a long wait. :D

Back on the weather topic ...

The very first time I flew my Yankee into OSH, I parked 'way up by Basler with some other Grummans, because it was free to camp there and Grumman guys were cheap. It was pretty chilly sitting there by the runway, watching planes land. Had to break out my leather jacket even.

I usually pack for 3 seasons when I go to OSH, and usually use most of the stuff. This year, I'm thinking that maybe I won't be needing the cold weather gear ... but I'm not holding my breath. I think I'll still throw some gear into the Support Vehicle, just in case.

Chillin Down

I live where Darwin came to play for a while - Lafayette, LA. Can't wait to cool down a bit and not lose 1/2 my body weight in sweat anytime I'm outside. Last year, I needed a jacket and long pants at Oshkosh to complement the sleeping bag liner I used at night. It's all relative I guess.

I'm not worried about the heat at all. It's really no big deal.

But what I am worried about is the density altitude to an unsuspecting crowd of pilots. Slow moving airplanes that are loaded to the max with people, possibly fuel, and camping gear making a slow speed descending left turn to hit a colored dot on final scares me.

An unusually high density altitude could be a recipe for disaster. Pay attention getting in to the field folks! Don't ruin your weekend or ours.

Last edited:
An unusually high density altitude it could be a recipe for disaster. Pay attention getting in to the field folks! Don't ruin your weekend or ours.

Excellent point. I am tired of having people I know and like wind up as data sources for my research. Let's keep that from happening if we can.

If he's holding out for some Johnny Walker Blue, he'll have a long wait.
Let's not get ridiculous here. I'll be bringing a bottle of Balvenie DoubleWood, mostly just to wash out the taste of Glenn's JW Black. For a bottle of PortWood (my fave) you can have Darwin's spot. It costs about what a tank of gas for the RV does, but man is it good stuff.

Back on topic- it rained a little this morning with more to come over the next couple of days. It will rain, and probably T-storm, during Oshkosh. By the end of the week it could be down to lows at night in the 40s again, so anyone who doesn't pack in anticipation of this is foolish.

"If you don't like the weather in Wisconsin, just wait five minutes..."

Scotch thread? Weather thread?

Wow, another Doublewood/Portwood fan......Guess I should start coming to the chapter meetings again!:D Doublewood is regularly priced at 35 bucks at Consumer's in Hales Corners!

Weather side.....

Jeff's right about the wait 5 minutes concept. No matter where we go in Wisconsin in the summer, we ALWAYS take warm stuff along if we're going to be into the evening.

Scotch?

Any blended Scotch = blech :(

Any Johnie Walker, even the high dollar stuff = blech :(

Lagavulin 16 yr = yummy :D

Laphroig 18 yr = extra yummy :D:D my fav heavily peated Islay single malt

Talisker, Caol Ila, and even the relatively cheap Ardmore (peated highland) are pretty good stuff too.

In the non-peated corner: Almost any Balvenie, Oban 14, Cragganmore 12, and Aberlour 16 are personal favs.

This year, I've been on a bourbon kick instead... since enjoying single malts is quite a pricey hobby to sustain if I'm expected to be saving up for a down payment on an RV.

WX Update

oshwx2.jpg

Here's the latest 10 day forecast as of today. Once we get through this heat wave, which should break by Saturday, the long term forecast looks outstanding. Better than it has any right to be in Wisconsin.

Here's the latest 10 day forecast as of today. Once we get through this heat wave, which should break by Saturday, the long term forecast looks outstanding. Better than it has any right to be in Wisconsin.

Makes me giddy with excitement! See you Sunday late afternoon.

What time of day do the local thunderstorms usually get active??
Whenever they feel like it. Usually mid afternoon but sometimes the morning. Or middle of the night.

My first PIREP of 2011- I'm at Friar Tucks and the A/C is working. It's quite crowded already.

Oshkosh pirep#2- it was hotter than a $2 pistol today. Got the campsite all set up and now its cooled off to a more moderate 85F. The good news- the Mosquitos are are almost non-existent! I have maybe 3 nibbles in the last hour, which for WI is statistically close to no Mosquitos! Life is good.

The forecast seems to be changing for the worse. Any local info on this? :eek:

Riki,

Perhaps it depends on where the forecast comes from. WeatherTap forecast looks pretty decent starting on Sunday, maybe some rain but the hot weather should be gone. The center of the huge high system has moved east to over Ohio already today. We are on the back side of it today and tomorrow but things should get better after that.

Next week looks like high 70's to low 80's with night time lows in the mid 60's.:)

(not exactly local but a perspective from Missouri)

Saturday Looks a bit Ugly...

trend6_600x405.jpg

Sunday looks better....

trend7_600x405.jpg

We're shooting for Texas - Minnesota tomorrow, a family visit on Saturday in the Twin Cities, and then OSH arival on Sunday, weather permitting!

Current temp and dew point at:

My airport = 34/1
KOSH = 30/21

Ugh...

I still hope to get there (as a passenger), but it will seem rather sticky, I'm sure.

Had a few raindrops this morning, the very edge of the nastiness down south cleared up by noon. Right now (5PM) it's 89F and moderately humid, warm but not quite uncomfortable. About 30 RVs here so far. Everything taking shape nicely.

Had a few raindrops this morning, the very edge of the nastiness down south cleared up by noon. Right now (5PM) it's 89F and moderately humid, warm but not quite uncomfortable. About 30 RVs here so far. Everything taking shape nicely.

Yum.. Looking forward to "nice" weather. You're scotch isn't going to make it though. It is going down my gullet right now! But the cookie supplies have been assembled... It looks like she is planning on feeding a few hundred people this year. Clear a spot for 22C with NO ants please :).

I'm having a hard time coming up with a reason I can't just hop in the airplane right now and head north. The 'out-of-office reply' has been set until 8/1. The office has been told they are SOL until then.

Tomorrow?

Anybody have a foreguess as to tomorrows weather, we should be arriving tenish AM.

Thanks

Sent from my ipad using hunt-and-peck:rolleyes: