Smilin' Jack

Well Known Member
I was amazed to see in the EAA newsletter that the Bonanza society is boasting that they will be the largest group represented at Oshkosh.

Come on folks I want to see a lot of RV's at Oshkosh, We'll be there all week.

Smiln' Jack

They might have the largest mass arrival, only because they would get lost if they didn't follow each other, and they can't follow and understand the NOTAM. ;)

I never could understand a mass arrival of certified planes to OSH. :confused:

Last edited:
How about a mass arrival of RV's next year for Van's 40th anniversary? That would put the doctors in their place. ;)

There is an RV mass arrival. Every year. Starts around Friday, runs over 2 weekends and ends on the 2nd Sunday. It should easily be 4 times the size of the tiny 115 plane Bonana event.

They are talking about MASS arrivals.

Not that many RVs flying formation that are willing to PRACTICE a large MASS Arrival this year.

In 2009, 37 RVs arrived in MASS in Formation. Next year since it is Van's 40 year, expect at least 40-RVs to practice (or more) and arrive in a Mass Formation. I expect that there will be a 40-RV formation to honor Van's sometime during AirVenture 2012.

Hold on to your hats and schedule time off from work... I've heard rumors that AirVenture 2012 is indeed going to be a blow-out event for the RV community. If the rumors are true, and I have every reason to believe that they are, EAA will have an announcement at the end of this years show that will knock your socks off!

LOL-- yeah I think so too! How many RVs typically show up at OSH?
That is the question, but it is not an easy one to answer. They do keep track at registration, but a large % of planes flying in do not register, especially the locals who fly in and out daily, so this number cannot be relied upon. We do a hand count at the end of each day in Area 51 and Homebuilt camping, where the majority of RVs are. However that is a snapshot and does not take into account the days in/ out flows (ie. if say on thursday, 50 leave and 20 fly in, that looks like a net loss of 30, not a gain of 20.) Plus, a large number are scattered around the field in Antique/ Classic camping, North 40, various vendors booths, etc etc etc. Plus we don't count anything at Fondy or Appletown.

To give a more direct answer, at peak we will probably have somewhere north of 400 RVs on the field at one time, and over the course of the week, between 500 and 600 total. Peak is typically Tuesday at noon. If we make it through the airshow on Tuesday without running out of space (a dubious proposition this year) then we start to breath easier, as departures will outpace arrivals starting Wednesday morning. Of course this can all vary based on the weather, not only locally but around the country, but the basic pattern is fairly consistent year to year.

They are talking about MASS arrivals.
Yes, but let's not make the common mistake of confusing mass arrivals with formation arrivals. There has never been a mass arrival of RVs. There have been several large formation arrivals in the last half dozen years, but this is something totally different. (I know you know this Gary, since you're in the middle of it!)

I've also heard rumblings about a 40 ship formation arrival and fly-overs planned for next year. That oughta be fun.

Registration

I encourage all to register your RV with us at Homebuilder's HQ when you arrive, even if you're just coming in for the day.

Registration is one of the few ways to get an accurate count of RVs (or any other homebuilts).

Registration is quick, it's free and it entitles you to a free commemorative mug, sticker, etc.; we also have prop sleeves (regular and specialized ("1000 hr"), etc.).

Homebuilder's HQ can also take care of your admission needs: wristbands, camping, etc.

Ride the welcome wagons and we'll see you there!

Mike

Hold on now....

How about a mass arrival of RV's next year for Van's 40th anniversary? That would put the doctors in their place. ;)

I'm a doctor and I fly an RV7-A. Never owned a Bonanza. I'd rather build and fly my own and repair my own. The guy in the hangar to me has a Baron. He's in commercial real estate.

We're all just having fun, aren't we?

I never could understand a mass arrival of certified planes to OSH. :confused:

Can't we all just get along? Maybe they think you're weird because you wanted to "build" an airplane.

I never understand why people feel the need to put down someone else's form of aviating.:mad:

BTW, one of my friends with an RV recently went into partnership on a Bonanza. Another pilot I know that owns a Cessna 206 was complaining to me during a Young Eagles event how "the RVators think that they own the airport." He was unaware I was building a RV-6 and of what was going on that day. He told me this as I was doing the annual on my Cessna 152. If I had the chance to fly it into Oshkosh with a group, I would.

I never understand why people feel the need to put down someone else's form of aviating.:mad:

Mike has a very good point, GA is a small place, and getting smaller. We don't need to cause friction among ourselves. OK, a little good natured ribbing among friends ;) but keep it civil with those you don't know yet.

As to Oshkosh, if you show up in an RV, be sure to register. As Mike said, it's free, it makes for more accurate numbers, and you get some cool swag.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
Former Baron, C-182, and J3 Cub owner
KSBA

KSBA

I think the feeling originally expressed here was that Experimental aircraft are what the Experimental Aircraft Association Fly-In Convention was built on, and when a group of certificated planes steals the show, experimental folks should get motivated to take it back! One of my friends is a past president of the American Bonanza Society. They're beautiful planes, as are many that most of us call "spam can." So, if my post appeared to add insult to them, it wasn't my intent.

If I had the chance to fly it into Oshkosh with a group, I would.

After your RV-6 is built, flying, and you are proficient flying it, get some formation flight training and your formation flight waiver card, you can take part with the RV group that has been putting on the large RV Formations at AirVenture.

There's much more to b2osh

I've been flying in to Oshkosh for many years with the b2osh group. It's safe to say that without b2osh drawing me to Oshkosh every year I wouldn't be here building my RV-8.

It's a great group of people, many now good friends, that get back together year after year through b2osh. We had a great time last year even though we had to cancel the formation flight due to field conditions. For the most part, we train together, fly together, camp together & party together.

B2osh encouraged me- any many others- to go beyond being bonanza "drivers" through formation training and simply bringing a lot more fun back into our flying. b2osh has also been very supportive of other groups (Cessna, Cirrus, etc.) training and planning to safely fly into Oshkosh in groups.

I know I'm going to have to fly my RV-8 into Oshkosh as soon as it's done, but I will find a way to do that and still fly with the b2osh group. It's going to be hard to give up the 1600lb useful load I enjoy flying the TN'd A36 into Oshkosh, I guess my son and I will just have to take both airplanes!

Also note that b2osh is and independent organization and not part of the American Bonanza Society. Information about b2osh can be found at http://www.b2osh.org

In the experimental area they set aside an area for RVs. If a group of like-minded pilots of certificated aircraft (same model, share an interest in ice cream, etc.) want to park together, they have to arrive together.

Also, I have attended intermittently since OSH was RFD, and have yet to turn up in an experimental aircraft. Will one of these days, but not because it's experimental -- rather because my RV-9 will be a better cross-country plane than my certificated plane (a Luscombe).

But the main thing that outnumbers anything else is old farts in cars. That will never change, and proves that the EAA attracts us all.

Mike
Not saying my age, not saying how will arrive this year, and not planning to be an old fart any time before I die. :)