cdeerinck

Well Known Member
I missed the Oshkosh engine/prop special this year, and probably can't wait until next year. But I noticed that the model numbers offered in the Oshkosh specials are different that what is offered for sale on Vans' website.

Specifically:
Website - XIO-360-M1B RT vs Oshkosh - YIO-360-M1B
Website - XO-360-A1A RT vs Oshkosh - YO-360-A1A

As I understand it, the X vs. Y prefix is just a Vans convention for the Carb engines, but has a different injection system for the FI models.

Can someone tell me what the RT suffix denotes?

Also, I am faced with ultimately converting the engine into a horizontal induction FI engine, but not with the FI as offered by Lycoming (long story). So I need to either add the FI to the O-360 (easy to do), and convert the vertical to horizontal induction, or take off the factory FI and replace it with an IFLYEFII system, and sell the factory FI.

Since I'm not a motor-head (yet), can any of you advise me which of these paths makes more sense?

I missed the Oshkosh engine/prop special this year, and probably can't wait until next year. But I noticed that the model numbers offered in the Oshkosh specials are different that what is offered for sale on Vans' website.

Specifically:
Website - XIO-360-M1B RT vs Oshkosh - YIO-360-M1B
Website - XO-360-A1A RT vs Oshkosh - YO-360-A1A

As I understand it, the X vs. Y prefix is just a Vans convention for the Carb engines, but has a different injection system for the FI models.

Can someone tell me what the RT suffix denotes?

Also, I am faced with ultimately converting the engine into a horizontal induction FI engine, but not with the FI as offered by Lycoming (long story). So I need to either add the FI to the O-360 (easy to do), and convert the vertical to horizontal induction, or take off the factory FI and replace it with an IFLYEFII system, and sell the factory FI.

Since I'm not a motor-head (yet), can any of you advise me which of these paths makes more sense?

I'm a little confused in your question (I'm tired so I may not be reading it clearly in my head.) For clarification, you may already know this, the IO360M1B is the 180 HP, parallel valve, fwd facing, F.I. engine. This is the engine I'm currently building. The O-360-A1A is the 180 hp, parallel valve, vertical draft carb engine. If you're buying and want the fwd facing F.I. go with the M1B. If you already have the O-360-A1A then you'd need a diff. sump, intake tubes and fuel servo (not carb.). I believe the X means experimental (versus certified), sorry but I do not know what the Y or RT in their designation stands for.

Last edited:
IO = injected, horizontally opposed cylinders
O = carb, horizontally opposed cylinders

X = Lycoming nomenclature for uncertified engine
Y = Lycoming nomenclature for uncertified engine sold thru Vans

The fuel injection system on these engines usually uses non certified components. And there is no certification paperwork, obviously.