Geico266

Well Known Member
As I was practicing my slow flight today I punched in KOSH to see if it would come up and to enter it in for future reference. This got me to thinking about the rookie mistake I made my first flying trip to Oshkosh........

Remember to enter the city of Ripon into your GPS! If you enter KOSH the GPS will take you there! Imagine that! :eek: Lucky, from my location Ripon is right on the way, but the miles to turn light on and transponder off is not accurate.

Any other tips?

And don't forget - "FISK" is actually "FISKE" - but don't fly GPS-direct from RIPON to FISKE, follow the railroad tracks!

Upon landing at OSH, weather this is your first time or your 20th, give out a "war hoop" shout, (make sure not to key your mic.) You have just landed at the world's busiest airport, at the world's largest flyin, you are a part of experimental aviation history, and you are about to have fun! You're on holiday!

Last edited:
I have one more tip for guys flying to "The Big Show",

Go EARLY! I plan my arrival to cross Ripon at 0700. No traffic, no worries, very relaxed entry and landing. Gives you a few seconds to enjoy the view.

Watch your airspeed!

Last edited:
Upon landing at OSH, weather this is your first time or your 20th, give out a "war hoop" shout, (make sure not to key your mic.) You have just landed at the world's busiest airport, at the world's largest flyin, you are a part of experimental aviation history, and you are about to have fun! You're on holiday!

Maybe next year... I am working on the engine and electrical. My goal is to be ready to fly my NEW 9A to Oshkosh next summer.

Yup! next year it is

Maybe next year... I am working on the engine and electrical. My goal is to be ready to fly my NEW 9A to Oshkosh next summer.
Me too. I am 10.7 hours into Phase 1 so the prudent thing to do is get comfortable with my new plaything before heading into Oshkosh. Listening to LiveATC Oshkosh tower right now; yup next year is going to be way cool!

I opted to fly my plane to 52F for Grady to paint instead of doing Osh... It's going to be a long month while my plane is in the paint shop :( See you at Osh next year.

<<This got me to thinking about the rookie mistake I made my first flying trip to Oshkosh.>>

Assume nothing. That was my Oshkosh lesson.

I was concentrating on maintaining tight formation with a photo plane when its well known OSH-experienced pilot suddenly rolled sharp left and dove away. I went "Huh?", then refocused outward and nearly crapped my pants. He had flown us right into the Fisk arrival stream during the peak morning arrival.....crossways.

It's OSH. Stuff happens. Stay on your toes.

<<This got me to thinking about the rookie mistake I made my first flying trip to Oshkosh.>>

Assume nothing. That was my Oshkosh lesson.

I was concentrating on maintaining tight formation with a photo plane when its well known OSH-experienced pilot suddenly rolled sharp left and dove away. I went "Huh?", then refocused outward and nearly crapped my pants. He had flown us right into the Fisk arrival stream during the peak morning arrival.....crossways.

It's OSH. Stuff happens. Stay on your toes.

Holy cow, thanks for the heads up! I'm going to be the guy following the tracks turning up fisk ave. (if that is how it happens) crapping my pants seeing you coming :). About that time, the "other" pilot will pop the stick to make me fly the plane and stop screaming like a little girl or cussing like a sailor :).

Ok, I'll admit it, I'm getting really excited to make the trip. We did one last flight last night with max lead shot ballast in the baggage for last minute familiarization. We're ready for "you" (the unknown). We've agreed that I'm flying the approach. Some things never change, good to have a gracious alternate pilot. I can't stand to call her a co-pilot, because I know she is ready to take it, and disable the primary, if she sees a smokin' hole in the ground ahead :).

Hey, why am I still flying from the RIGHT seat????? We'll cross that bridge after this big adventure.

Last edited:
Hey, why am I still flying from the RIGHT seat????? We'll cross that bridge after this big adventure.

Because you know which hand you're SUPPOSED to fly with....:p:rolleyes:

(I wish "Mikey" had brakes on the right!)

See you up there mid-week,

Paul