Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I must admit, I had one of those ?Sea Change? moments this year with regards to Oshkosh. I am, by nature, nurture, and schooling, an engineer. I am analytical and enjoy the company of machines. My previous trips to Oshkosh have been about shopping for airplane parts, looking at other people?s machines, and working the show- doing presentations, showing the flag for my employer, etc. But this year was different. Not only was I a ?free agent? for the entire week, but my schedule was extremely flexible (I was officially a ?Media Representative? and only did a couple of forums and a talk at the Van?s banquet). It is rare when I don?t have a plan for a day, much less a week, and here I was, without an idea which way to turn when I stepped through the gate each day. It was wonderful!

While it was great to be able to set whatever pace I wanted, the most incredible thing about the year was how my focus changed. I mentioned this to Louise after the first couple of days ? while I was certainly doing some shopping for RV-3 parts and systems, , what I found myself talking about more than anything was the people I had met. And then it hit me ? I had reached that transition point that so many EAA?ers have attained, but don?t explicitly mention ? Oshkosh was now more about the people than the airplanes! I had turned off the left brain, and switched on the right ? I was now seeing the event as a social networking occasion, not as a trade show and Ginormous ?State Fair?. It had become about the people ? and wow, I met thousands!

The first day or two, I split my time between watching out for muddy bogs and visiting booths and tents where I knew I could find familiar names ? all the many vendors that we see in the RV world. The gang at Van?s tent was a good solid anchor, but I roamed the entire grounds to chat with friends old and new. I enjoyed meeting a lot of great people that support eh various niche?s of our obsession ? from airframes to avionics, engines to upholstery ? it was great to put faces to the names I have talked with on the phone and traded notes with on the internet. In short order, I had brought myself up to date on what was going on with the industry that supports the RV movement, and then I noticed something about how I was moving through the grounds ? my gaze had shifted from focusing on my next ?destination?. I was now looking at people ? something I rarely do. I was looking for familiar faces, VAF caps, T-shirts from fly-ins I have visited. In short ? I was looking for new and old friends!

The Van?s Banquet was a high-light for me, partly because it was the first time that I had official permission to talk about what I do to a huge bunch of appreciative RV?ers. The rules about public appearances can be a little obtuse, but they are enforced, yet for this one evening, I was able to share our story with folks who can really understand and appreciate what this nation can accomplish in aerospace. But what was best about the evening was meeting more RV?ers ? and seeing Ken Krueger receive what I consider to be one of the most significant engineering awards in the homebuilding movement ? congrats to Ken!

I saw a lot of new faces with old names attached as I wandered the grounds and helped out with some avionics forums. In a weird way, the soggy conditions that limited airplane arrivals made it easier to cover the tie-down areas ? fewer planes meant I could more easily spend a little more time with each one when I walked ?Area 51? looking for machines and their builders. Several saw me as I ?hunted the elusive -3?s? this year. I did find two that I could look at, and took a lot of pictures ? very valuable information when building one of these. I regret that I wasn?t able to tag up with the owner?s to chat and try one on for size, but Oshkosh is a big place, and I didn?t want someone waiting for my tired legs to carry me all the way from the Fly-Mart to HBC. Thanks for the offer though!

I know that Louise got to meet lots of folks who visit this site, because she was in a fixed location, helping folks to get a taste of the Wright Flyer Simulator. I steered a lot of folks in her direction, and she reported to me each day on the many friends who stopped by. I understand that there are a lot of folks who were able to best the Wright Boy?s early achievements ? maybe that says something for the talent of folks that fly RV?s?.

After the first couple of days carrying a backpack for the few items I needed to buy, I left the bag in the car and carried nothing more than a camera and the little collapsible camp chair hung on my belt. I walked the grounds from end to end and side to side several times each day, rarely going far before starting a conversation with someone associated with RV?s, interested in space, or standing next to their beautiful airplane (homebuilt, factory made ? it made little difference).

I am not that big on watching air shows after all these years, but in the afternoons, I even unfurled the chair a few times, sat back, and enjoyed the more ?unique? acts I hadn?t seen before. I let time go, and Oshkosh simply rolled over me, washing me in the currents of aviation past, present, and future. Nine days at ?the show? is a long time, and at the same time, not long enough. How can you find time to visit with the thousands of people you want to see in such a short period of time? I want more than a brief hello ? I want a chance to sit and chat, drink a coke, trade stories of trips and travels. I want to both greet old friends and embrace new ones ? but it is so hard to both ? or either to true fulfillment ? in such a short time.

But time does roll inexorably on and family duties called. It was with considerable reluctance that I walked out to the parking lot about noon on Sunday, turning my back on what was even then a shell of an event (Sunday afternoon at Oshkosh can be sad, as most everyone is already gone). Louise would follow a few hours behind in a much faster mode of transport, but I sort of welcomed the five hour drive across rolling farm and woodlands. It gave me a chance to reflect on the wonderful week of people, airplanes, and aviation, to formulate some thoughts, to write a bit in my head. Being a writer without an assignment can be a wonderful thing at Oshkosh ? instead of focusing on a deadline, I could simply absorb the experience like a sponge, and then see what happened. You never know what words will eventually flow out of the experience. But I do know that Oshkosh is an event about people. People mad about airplanes, yes ? but people nonetheless.

Paul

Reflections

Thanks, Paul

You are allowing us to reflect, too. Yes, Oshkosh is all about airplanes, flying, aerospace, etc., but you are absolutely right: somehow it is the common understanding, great people, and valued friendships that remain in our memories. Thanks for sharing.

Bill Palmer

Nice write up Paul. I noticed that you never referred to Air Venture. I have yet to meet or talk to someone that has asked me if I was going to Air Venture it is always Oshkosh and will always be that. It is too bad someone thought a name change was in order, terrible waste of time and resources.
I too for the first time spent a week there and just soaked up the atmosphere and enjoyed the people instead of running around trying to see it all. Very relaxing. The volunteers all did a great job especially those that had to deal with the swamps they got the job done and done well.

Right on....again

Well said Paul. I missed OSH this year but had the same feeling when I finished Sun n Fun this year. Met lots of old and new friends and Van's banquet was the "icing".

Thanks for all you do for us "soon to take flight RVer's"

Volunteer Reflections

I spent a week this year (23-28 July) at Homebuilt Headquarters. This was my first year as a volunteer, and it totally changed my view of AirVenture...since it was all about people coming up to the counter as customers to get their aircraft registered, buy wristbands, rent tie-downs, get "mugged", etc.

It started out as a crazy week...I drove through the rainstorm that flooded Milwaukee and saw more standing water and mud than I'd care to mention. But despite the conditions, it was a successful year-because of an incredible team of volunteers.

Most memorable moment: one of my EAA buddies stopped by as we were locking up one night (8pm) and asked if we could give a couple a ride back to Camp Scholler. "No problem, tell them we'll be out in a minute." We met the couple at the cart...the guy was wearing arm crutches and had great difficulty walking; she was wearing flip-flops. It was their first visit to Oshkosh...they arrived at 5pm and were sent to a camping row close to Hwy 41 (row 5, even with the dump station). Once they got parked they decided to see the grounds. So they walked-all the way to Homebuilt Parking. Needless to say, they were exhausted. The smiles on their faces as we chatted about the show (and shuttle bus routes!) on the way back to camp? Priceless.

I'll be back.
Mike

This was my first year camping at OSH.

No doubt the volunteers were the best part of the experience. On Friday I watched the fellow who was roaming schollar in his cart trying to help out people who had gotten stuck. He was great, and very patient. Until Saturday when a guy and his wife got stuck in a brand new Jetta, that they had obviously just washed. They were sunk to the axles and the the EAA volunteer rolled up to them an asked "where did you think you were actually going to go?" It was crazy. Amazing how many volunteers it takes to run the show.

Hats off!

I can't agree more

My wife and I have attended AirVenture for many years and we'll keep going to meet up with old friends and make new ones. While I did some searching for the panel upgrade in PZ and bought some nuts and bolts, most of the time was spent chatting. It took till yesterday for my vocal cords to recuperate.

Great write-up, Paul. It took me a few years to "get it," but people are what Oshkosh is all about. I met a few of you reading this, and many more that also helped make my week special. This was the first year that my wife attended in a long time, and that made it even better. I have often said I would go to OSH even if there wasn't a single airplane, and this year looked at first like that wasn't too much of a stretch!

Now, a practical reason to attend. Just for fun, I took my blood pressure every day during the week before, then after I returned. My BP isn't high, but I just wanted to know how it really affected me. It dropped about 15/6 points. Some people may attribute it to the exercise, but I believe it is the calm that comes from doing something that soothes the soul. Maybe I should schedule my physical for early August...

Bob Kelly

As always, meeting people is a big part of our Oshkosh adventure.

This year I brought Nora and the 21 month old Mini-me. Both had a great time. The little guy’s big highlight was splashing in a very large puddle in the warbird area. Nora was fantastic and just let him play. Of course, she thought it was especially funny when he ran up to me and gave me a big hug.

Monday was spent running through the vendor hangars, gathering information for KitPlanes. That is always enjoyable but exhausting. Simple routine, “Hi, I’m Bill with KitPlanes, what’s new?” Write like crazy, and move to the next vendor. Man, there are a lot of vendors.

Monday evening KitPlanes invites their contributing editors over to their rental house for dinner. The highlight of the evening was listening to Barnaby Wainfan and Paul Dye discussing engineering. If only the little guy was old enough to understand he was in the midst of two REAL rocket scientists, talking rocket stuff. Then there is always the interesting conversations with Doug Rozendaal about the various airplanes he has flown. BTW, Barnaby Wainfan’s wife is also a rocket scientist and is very interesting as were the rest of the guests.

I finally had a chance to meet Tony Phillips and some friends of his. Thanks for the ale and firewood Tony, I’ve still got some ale left and am hording it.

An old friend, I say “old” because I’ve known him since he was four or five. He is still young, by my standards. Mike Porter and his father Andy won best Stearman and a Silver Wrench award for their silver WASP Stearman that was parked in the Warbird area. It was hard to believe that #12 was the same plane Mike gave me my bi-annual in a few years back. This particular Stearman is the only surviving plane from the Avenger Field, TX WAC base. It took Mike 11 months to strip the plane down to nothing and rebuild it. At it stood at OSH, it had close to 400 hours on it since the restoration. During the restoration Mike had to build a new center section (the old one was rotted), replace three cracked spars, rebuild the engine, and a bunch of other things.

As for watching the show, we spent a few afternoons sitting with some friends in the Antique and Classic area, enjoying the shade of their F24R. Great flying plane, even if they are SLOOOOW.

The two day drive there and two days back were well worth it and with luck, next year we will be flying in, again.

Thanks

Paul,

Thanks for the write up. I also found myself looking for people more and looking for aircraft parts less.

Also, thanks for speaking at the banquet. Very well done.

This year was almost all social for me, including meeting Paul at the RV-8 gathering on Monday. Seemed that every time I went back to the campground, I ran into another person I only know via camping at airshows, or via this awesome website.

Meeting Matt Segfredo from Australia was another highlight as he and I have done a lot of emails since Doug posted pictures of Miss Sue nearly four years ago.

Alas, I had to leave on Tuesday, but it was good to be there and see Dayton, Paul, Doug, Jerry, Jim, Matt and onward. The only time I see them all year.

Flying up and back with my son, who had just soloed, was a little icing on the cake.

One little foray out had me looking at Flash at the Garmin tent, and I overheard a guy ask the Garmin rep how this person could fly with all that glass and no backup. I am still laughing.

cheers everybody, thanks for the thread Paul

Great write up Paul.
Glad you were able to come to Sleepy Hollow and visit with Don, Bob, my brothers, & me. You and Louise are truly fantastic people and are welcome at our house and Twin Lakes any time. You two were very inspirational to my daughter, she's still talking about ya'll.

Thanks again.

Marshall Alexander