scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Of course we're all preparing for Oshkosh and polishing our flight skills right? Today, 22C got a full wash down and partial detail. Ugh, now I remember why we only do that a few times per year.

We've also been spending a whole lot of time sharpening our flight skills (both pilots) throughout the last couple of weeks. Today we did 13 very short and slow approaches in a row with a direct crosswind. That was good practice. We kept changing things up just a little to try to cover a breadth of different situations (high, fast, slow, left, right, etc.). But all with an extremely tight base. In other recent flights, we've gone out and beat slow flight to death. Very slow flight straight, in shallow and steep turns, climbing, descending, and most importantly, with more aft CG than usual (baggage). In addition to that, we've both polished our night landings and instrument approach mojo in the last week. The only phase of flight that we haven't recently exercised and explored some of the boundaries of the envelope of, is straight and level cruise. I think at least these two pilots are ready. Are you?

We have both committed the majority of the arrival and departure notam to memory. The tiedown stakes have been put in the ground just to be sure all equipment and tools for insertion and removal are accounted for. Current VFR and IFR charts are in hand. The strategic packing has begun and there are Oshkosh lists of one kind or another all around the house.

Now we just need for the weather to cooperate and we'll see you over RIPON 7am Monday morning at 1800' and 90kts IAS. The day before (Sunday), we're flying to Waukesha, WI to stay for the night. It should be fun. We depart on Thursday headed to Flying Cloud, MN (Minneapolis) for a couple of days before heading back to Austin on Saturday. That is the plan, but we drive this thing that we built in the garage that affords changes to a plan at a whem. Lets see, who's doorstep could we show up on unannounced... :).

Last edited:
Did you do any of this training in a crowded class C or D airfield? The controllers and lots of traffic really add to the realism.

Did you do any of this training in a crowded class C or D airfield? The controllers and lots of traffic really add to the realism.

Class D. Tomahawks, Warriors, Super Cub, King Airs, TBMs, Citations, and of course the requisite Cessnabombers (just today). Yep, we're rarely the only one in the pattern at our home at Georgetown. You are very right, I wouldn't feel prepared if I had spent the majority of my recent experience as the lone aviator in a corn field somewhere.

Scott, nice to see you guys taking the arrival at OSH seriously. While it is usually a non event, the "practise makes perfect" thinking will serve you well.

One more piece of advice. Never do anything at OSh that you have not done in the last 2 months. What I mean is no new manuavers at slow speeds. Even of the tower asks you to do something, that is not the time to try something new. I am reminded of a brand new red RV-? flying into OSH just after the 40 hour fly off. Low time RV driver, loaded to the hilt, and carrying his wife (I believe). Got too slow and was in a stall and (didn't even seem to know it) trying to hit one of the dots. Killed them both on runway 27. What I'm trying to say is stick to the basics and fly the airplane.

I hate it when I sould like Mr. know it all, I really do. I just don't want anyone to get hurt so this is a great thread to pound on the basics of airmanship.

What I like most of all in your post is you READ THE NOTAM! :D More than once!

Please read
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/​

Last edited:
There is a Notam?:rolleyes:

And the rumor this year is if you don't have the current OSH NOTAM in the plane with you (It is required to have a printed copy, see page #1) there is a $250 on the spot fine. If you refuse to pay it the FAA will violate you and then you get to pay $1,100 for not having it, and $1,100 for each further violation they find.

Last edited:
What are you doing to make your Oshkosh arrival safer?

Maybe my intent wasn't heard. There are so many of us that are headed to the same place, and so many of us that think safety is very important, but given statistics, there must be something more we can do to change those statistics. Or maybe just be prepared to argue how you've done everything possible to not make a hole in the runway that we all have to mourn and attempt to explain for the next year. Actually, I'm just as concerned about the guy that has been there, done that for the last n number of years as those such as myself where this will be a first. I'm here to light the fire today. Perk up and DO something, as this isn't a normal operation. There are still a few days left. I don't care who you are. We each have direct control over our own situation. I've told you what I'm doing to try to maybe do something "different". What are you doing at this time to try to make for a safer entrance and exit to Oshkosh? Maybe I'll learn something from your safety preparations that will make my arrival, and as a direct result yours, more successful.

I have flown over 20 hours and over 50 take-offs and landings in the last two weeks. I spent over 2 hours at Savannah practicing the different runway approachs one could expect at OSH. Luckily Savannah has a NS and EW runway which adds to some of the realism. I have done holds on final, go arounds with another aircraft still on the runway in front of me and just about every type of slow flight, slow approach, low approach, close turn and just about everything else I could think of from the NOTAM.

Here is the arrival procedure tips from OSH ATC. These are the guys & gals who's job it is (besides the pilots) to make sure we don't swap paint. They have some interesting tips.

http://www.airventure.org/atc/

The above link is NOT a substuitute for the NOTAM, just good info. Here is the NOTAM

http://www.airventure.org/flying/notam2009.pdf

One of the problems I see coming into OSH is pilots not lining up OVER the RR tracks from Ripon to Fisk. If you can look down and see the tracks you are not OVER them. Put the RR tracks under the spinner, set a good example for the guy following you.

Last edited:
Everybody has an Oshkosh arrival story or two, but some things you just can't plan for.

I think it was my third time to fly into Oshkosh and I arrived over Ripon and turned to follow the abandoned railroad tracks. I was surprised to see about six planes in a line following a 172 NE along some road. It took them a while to realize that the 172 either wasn't going to Oshkosh, or he was lost.

I hit Fisk and saw traffic ahead of me, loping along at a snail's pace. Now, I'm in a Grumman Yankee, loaded to the gills for a week of camping, and I find myself behind the ubiquitous Piper Cub.

Out over Lake Winnebago, I have full flaps, full power and am doing S-turns to keep from running over this Cub that's floating down for an eventual landing. Madness, I tell you.

With the stall warning horn blaring in my ear -- and we're still about 3/4 of a mile from the runway! -- I gave up, cleaned up, and passed the Cub. I knew I'd get in trouble for that from the controllers, but it was better than death by drowning in Lake Winnebago.

I slid around the Cub, giving him plenty of room (we still had a LONG way to go to get to the runway), and settled down to an approach speed that was a bit faster than normal, but nothing unusual. I wanted to give the Cub driver plenty of room (and give him time to get over being mad at me for passing him on final).

The controller told me to land on the last dot, which I did. On rollout, I heard him add, "Good job on final, Grumman. Thanks for the help."

So, sometimes improvisation is required. Kudos on brushing up on your slow flight skills and for the encouragement for all of us to do the same. Maybe next year I'll be able to follow the advice. This year, sadly, I'm still driving ... :mad:

Out over Lake Winnebago, I have full flaps, full power and am doing S-turns to keep from running over this Cub that's floating down for an eventual landing. Madness, I tell you.

With the stall warning horn blaring in my ear -- and we're still about 3/4 of a mile from the runway! -- I gave up, cleaned up, and passed the Cub. I knew I'd get in trouble for that from the controllers, but it was better than death by drowning in Lake Winnebago.

I slid around the Cub, giving him plenty of room (we still had a LONG way to go to get to the runway), and settled down to an approach speed that was a bit faster than normal, but nothing unusual. I wanted to give the Cub driver plenty of room (and give him time to get over being mad at me for passing him on final).

Don, I don't want to start a war, but a better way to have handled this situation is to adhere to the NOTAM and break out of line, return to Ripon (looking for a break in the line to rejoin traffic), then getting back in line. "S" turns and passing are specifically prohibited in the NOTAM unless directed to do so by ATC. I know you were looking at the runway and it is maddening to have a slow plane in front of you, to be that close to the runway, but getting out of line and "starting over" usually only involves a few extra minutes when I have had to do it, the spacing usually is not that tight.

Last edited:
Don, I don't want to start a war, but a better way to have handled this situation is to adhere to the NOTAM and break out of line, return to Ripon (looking for a break in the line to rejoin traffic), then getting back in line. "S" turns and passing are specifically prohibited in the NOTAM unless directed to do so by ATC.

Well, Larry, just consider that my contribution to the discussion offering an example of what NOT to do. :rolleyes:

With regard to the previous two posts, may common sense prevail.

It is impossible to write a policy that covers every conceivable situation. The no S turn and no passing policy has been in there for years but if there is a 65 HP Cub chugging along at 50 mph with 5 miles of clear space in front of him and 25 airplanes behind him, the situation requires something other than 25 airplanes doing a U turn and starting over. Two years ago a formation of at least 16 RV's passed me between Fisk and RW 36. They were descending from the high approach. No big deal, I just slowed up, S turned a little to the south and landed as #17. The situation of high approach airplanes and low approach airplanes between Fisk and the airport is not spelled out in the NOTAM. I say again, let common sense prevail.

The really important thing about flying to the convention is do not run into anyone, fly defensively, cross check airspeed often, and fly your airplane.

All that being said, the arrival is always interesting and fun. There's nothing like it anywhere else on the planet. :)