Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I?m not afraid to ask newbie questions?.:eek:

This year, Louise and I are going to be hitting Oshkosh the Friday before the first weekend, and staying until they roll up the sidewalks on the final Sunday. She?s working as a ?CFI? for the Wright Flyer simulator at the National Park Service booth again, and I am going to be an Oshkosh bum ? no NASA Pavilion this year, so I?m a free agent (I?ll actually be a member of the ?media? ? one of Kitplane?s ?ink-stained wretches??). Due to family commitments in Minnesota the week after the show, I have to drive a truck from Texas, so Louise gets to fly ?Mikey? (the RV-6) if the weather permits, and I?ll be ground pounding it across the good old US of A, meeting her at OSH Friday night ? I hope. We are arriving early so Louise can help with setup, and I am just going to roam around, so I am curious about the first weekend.

The earliest I?ve ever been at OSH has been Tuesday, so I am unfamiliar with the first weekend protocols ? and the AirVenture web site is a bit sketchy on the topic. So I have a couple of logistical questions, for those who know?.

1) Are the gates just ?open? so you can come and go the first weekend, or are they charging admission, or what? Obviously, if you fly in, you have to be able to come and go to your airplane. I know the party will be going full swing in Scholler by that time?.:)

2) Are the normal parking areas (cars) available?

Louise is going to have a hotel room in Appleton starting Sunday night (I guess I get to ride on her coat-tails?), but Friday and Saturday we?ll be on our own. We are good, lightweight campers, so we can just get a site at Scholler for a couple nights, or if someone wants to adopt us as ?family" that is going to be in HBC, we could set up a small tent and spend some quality time around the airplanes those two nights?..

Hope to see everyone at the show !

Paul

Louise is going to have a hotel room in Appleton starting Sunday night (I guess I get to ride on her coat-tails?), but Friday and Saturday we?ll be on our own. We are good, lightweight campers, so we can just get a site at Scholler for a couple nights, or if someone wants to adopt us as ?family" that is going to be in HBC, we could set up a small tent and spend some quality time around the airplanes those two nights?..

Paul

For clarification (and, perhaps, more comments), I've been hoping to get 20-year old "Mikey" into the 20+ experimental frontline, which I don't think would allow us to camp with the plane.

I don't fly in since I live in WI, but I do always go up to Osh on Sunday before the show opens to watch the arrivals (the best part of the week I think). In the past I've always been able to get in on Sunday by simply having a valid ticket for at least the opening Monday. There are quite a few people who do this. I've tried to go up on Saturday last year but got turned away at the gate. I don't know if it's different for people who are camping on the grounds, but for those of us who drive up (parking is available as usual), they won't let us in the gates until Sunday.

welcome

Paul,
Welcome to the early bird version of OSH.

Generally the gates are wide open on Saturday and Sunday with vendors setting up. The buildings are closed, but you can wander to your hearts content and look at airplanes etc...

We camp and have never had any problems getting into the grounds on Saturday or Sunday (could always change however).

On Saturday you can bike the grounds, Sunday the cops arrive and the bikes have to go.

I'm sure the normal parking is available, just easier to get too.

We usually arrive on Sunday, auto parking is not an issue, no charge and you can park pretty close in the normal lots. You cannot get into Airventure without a wristband on Sunday, unless you are working, volunteering or arriving by air etc. If you are purchasing single day wrist bands, the one you purchase for Monday will get you in on Sunday. None of the commercial displays are open and there is limited food service. It's amazing the difference between Sunday and Monday. Obviously a lot happens at the last minute on Sunday.

We have been doing this for the last several years, so it could be different this year.

It's pretty much go anywhere you want unregulated (except for the 4 big hangars) until Sunday. They start requiring wristbands the Sunday before show start.

Vehicles are hit/miss. They try very hard to keep normal vehicles out of the show grounds but some have been known to get in.

Bob

I arrive on Saturday every year. You can wander the grounds but the pavilions are closed. The real highlight of being there over the weekend is taking a chair, radio, and some cold ones out to the flight line on runway 9/27 on the North 40. This is where the action is! Plus you are that much closer to Friar Tucks for a good burger and a brew when you get tired of seeing airplanes.

Wristbands Sunday

According to the June 8th letter I received from EAA's Builder's Education Center (BEC)(where I volunteer), "You will need to wear your wristband starting Sunday, July 25."

If you don't have anything better to do, consider volunteering to help with setup. I don't know how other areas of Airventure work, but if you put in 20 hours of volunteer time at the BEC, you get next years wristband for free.

I generally arrive on Sunday and get in with a Monday wrist band. I enjoy seeing the early prep work that goes on as well as the early arrivals. I too have wanted to go up on Friday or Saturday to see the early mass arrivals but didn't know if that was possible or not. Sounds like some people are able to get in and some aren't. Anyone know what the trick is?

I don't know about auto parking,
but last year I flew in on Friday
due to weather and used city buses
or taxis to go back and forth to the dorms.
I did my registration, etc. at Homebuilder's
headquarters. No problems on Sat. or Sun.
I wore my Sunday/Monday wrist band
on Sunday. The entrance gate east
of the bus stop was open. Don't plan
on eating at the field on the weekend,
although there might be something open.
Tom

We plan to arrive on Friday also--our first year of that. Always has been Saturday before, but we like Woods 101 (just in from registration) and it was about full when we arrived last year, so... We will have a motorhome with room for two Friday night. Our "regular" guests will arrive Saturday. If you need a place to stay that evening and breakfast, I think we could do that. Let me know by PM and we will exchange cell numbers, etc.

Saturday is cool for watching everyone set up, and Sunday is Arrival Day. Most fun, and it can be exciting!

Bob Kelly

Thanks for the info and the offers everyone! Sounds like it will be an interesting time to see OSH. Last year, we were there until 1700 on the last Sunday, and it sure was deserted.....I expect that the days "before" will be much more exciting and less sad....

Wristbands aren't a problem since we're getting those taken care of. I guess "I'm with the band" (or similar) is a good way to talk you way through on Saturday....:)

Any additional inputs/observations are always welcome!

Paul,

Everyone else has pretty much hit the high points. I will only add/ clarify a couple of things. For one, the grounds are wide open on Friday and Saturday and you should have no trouble getting in. If anyone stops you, just tell them that you flew in and you need to get to your airplane. Secondly, and probably more important- you need to have eating plans that do not include anything on the grounds. One of the weaknesses of the event is the lack of food vendors on site for the early arrivals. Of course, if you are coming with a vehicle then you have access to off-site food, but just keep it in mind.

If you are looking for a suggestion, I highly recommend you try Becket's, which is near downtown Oshkosh on the river at Oregon street. Very easy to get to from the grounds, and one of the best restaurants in the city.

http://www.becketsrestaurant.com/

Secret...

Yep, the secret to getting in and around on Sat/Sun is to have at least the Monday wristband on so the gate keepers know you're not just local riff-raff... They shouldn't give you trouble, especially if you have an airplane on the grounds. If they do, go find yourself another gate.

I LOVE the early days before the show-- you can run around on Gators or on a bike while everyone is setting up. The best time to be there is the day before it all opens. So exciting, can't wait!! :D:D

Paul and Louise,

I'm coming in on Sunday with the AVC gang, but my father-in-law Dick (you guys met him at the NYD brunch in Big Bear 18 months ago) will arrive with one of my sons (Matty) on Saturday. We have a 32' rental trailer in Sleepy Hollow (with AC), and there will be room for you two Saturday night if you like, since Cory and I don't arrive till the next day. So if you stay with Bob Kelly on Fri, and us on Sat, you're covered till your hotel opens...if you don't mind packing and unpacking 3 days in a row! Just another option for ya...there if you need it, just lemme know!

OBTW, the boys are looking forward to the simulator Louise!!

Cheers,
Bob

Yep, the secret to getting in and around on Sat/Sun is to have at least the Monday wristband on so the gate keepers know you're not just local riff-raff... They shouldn't give you trouble, especially if you have an airplane on the grounds. If they do, go find yourself another gate.

So I'm assuming you can buy your wristbands on Sunday once you arrive then?

Yes, you can purchase wristbands on Sunday. Don't wait till Monday morning the lines can be very long. I've never had to wait in line on Sunday.

Redeem your pre-purchase tickets as well

We found out last year that you can exchange(redeem) your pre-purchase tickets for wristbands on Sunday while the ticket booth is open.

I imagine we will be snooping around on Sunday evening as well this year.

We arrived (flew in) on Saturday last year. Sunday was by far our favorite day of the event. We spent most of it next to 9-27 with a couple of Kermit chairs, a bottle of water, and a handheld. Periodically, we would plop down in the grass, take a nap, and then return to the chair to watch more arrivals. Perfect day!

There was a tram running down to the cafe in the vintage area for breakfast on Sunday. Lunch and dinner were also available on the field.

For the last 20 years, I've been showing up well before the opening day (which has changed over the years), and have a pretty good feel for how to survive the early arrival.

As has been mentioned, food is scarce. If you have ground transpo, then you're set. You can drive all around Oshkosh and visit the various restaurants or buy groceries and eat at your campsite. However, if you're on foot, it's a tougher prospect. It's a hoof to get to Friar Tuck's and the other restaurants just north of 9/27 if you're camping in Scholler, but it's doable.

As AirVulture has grown over the years, wandering around the grounds during setup over the weekend has become a bit more dangerous. Gotta be on the lookout for cars, trucks, gators, mopeds, etc. It's THEIR turf on Fri-Sun, and we rubberneckers are just in the way.

However, as has also been mentioned, watching planes arrive can be fun and relaxing. Take a folding chair, some water (or beverage of your choice), some sun screen and a handheld radio and plop down along either runway and just watch planes land. I've always wanted to get a bunch of people together and make up large number signs to grade landings (in jest), but figured that that would just make me a big target for the Fickle Finger of Fate when MY turn comes to land! Still could be fun though ...

One year, my son was with me and we used a day to drive up to the Wisconsin Dells and play for the day. Swam at a water park and drove go-carts all day. Good times.

The biggest drawback for me has been boredom. I'm not one who can just sit and relax. If I open a book, I fall asleep. I see campers all over Scholler who do nothing but sit and relax all day long at their campsites. Can't do it. Consequently, I end up getting my fill of Oshkosh almost before the show starts! But that's just me.

So, if you're planning to arrive several days before it starts, just be prepared to entertain yourself and feed yourself. Not much to see before the weekend.

Paul,

If you don't mind "slumming it" with the RV-10 crowd in Scholler we'll have a tent setup but not being used until Wed when a couple of grandkids will be joining us. I'll send you a PM.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM

Seems to me there was food just off the grounds from the HBC on Sunday last year. It was an easy walk and is along the road near the Nature Center.

I am planning a Saturday arrival this year, weather permitting. I bought a new larger tent last year, getting too old to crawl in and out the small old one. The new tent is 10' square and I can stand up in it :) but it takes me a half a day to get it set up :(.

As always, looking forward to the GREATEST AVIATION SHOW ON PLANET EARTH.

So I'm assuming you can buy your wristbands on Sunday once you arrive then?

If you come in by plane, it's really easy. Aircraft Registration is open all weekend 7am-5pm, just park your plane, walk to the nearest Registration building with your EAA card and credit card in hand, and buy all of your camping, wristbands, programs, etc etc. I think you can do the same thing by car, if you stop in at the entrance to the campgrounds.

The highlight of my week is usually volunteering in Vintage Showplane Camper Registration-- I love talking with all the pilots who just spent x days flying across the country in _______ (fill in the blank). The only thing I hate about that job is telling them what I'm about to put on their credit card for all of the camping, wristbands, membership renewal... :eek:

The new tent is 10' square and I can stand up in it :) but it takes me a half a day to get it set up :(.

Sounds like a "Homebuilder's Special"!;)

We're really looking forward to the early arrival, and I have heard from a number of folks here on the forums with offers of bunk space those first couple of nights - what an awesome bunch of folks! I am really looking forward to a more relaxed OSH this year than I have had in the past - a chance to really meet up with folks.

Celebrity status

Paul,

Everybody likes to hang out with Louise and yourself. You've earned celebrity status with your postings and experience. Plus your just nice people. :)

Paul,

Everybody likes to hang out with Louise and yourself. You've earned celebrity status with your postings and experience. Plus your just nice people. :)

Thank you for your kind words. Just for that, come down to the Federal Pavillon and I'll make sure your fees are waived when you try out the Wright Flyer simulator. ;)

(Okay, before I get in trouble, there is no charge to fly the simulator so I hope everyone comes by and tries it a time or two.)

Paul

Thanks for asking a question I was pondering. The last two years Debbieand I have arrived on Monday. This year we will be in Scholler on Friday and I had questions. They have all been answered. We have considered doing some volunteering while there for the week. Any info on how this works would be appreciated.

Regards