Ted RV8

Well Known Member
Would appreciate suggestions from those who have done the trip from Northern California in their RV.

What would be the best route to take for a Northern California to Oshkosh trip in an RV.

Pros and cons of crossing the Rockies at different locations.

Best places to stop for fuel and an overnite stay.

Thanks

Ted

For Northern Cal, you can't go wrong with the I-80 route. Stick with that and you cross north of the big rocks in WY. The Sierra's are about the highest point you need to cross.

Jim

Fairmont, MN

is a nice place to stay overnight. Easily within RV striking distance for a day's flying. Airport courtesy car. Reasonable local taxi rates otherwise. Holiday Inn with restaurant.
You'll make OSH the next morning with half tanks, alert and before the big rush.

Agreed on Fairmont. It's a nice little airport, cute terminal, out in the middle of a corn field. Quiet as the day is long. A little refrigerator with the honor system.

I took my mom for her first flight a few years ago and we dropped down there. She just loved sitting on the bench looking out at the corn and listening the quiet. She still talks about it.

A year or so ago, my wife ran into some people at a conference and started talking and it turned out they run the place. So she gave them the $1 I didn't have at the time for the soda and crackers my mom and I ate that day.

My route was

:)Hi Ted
I am in Carson City Nv. From Northern Calif. I would would go over the Sierra's over HWY 80 to Reno, Then stop in "LWL"Wells,NV for gas. Next would be "RWL" Rawlins Wy. From there anywhere in the midwest is good, The people are the best! I stoped in Wagner SD before OSH and it was great!:)

OSH Plan

Join the AV Cup from Mitchell, SD. You'll have alot of fun and then you get to park at show center and its a mass arrival so you don;'t have to do the Rippon arrival.

cm

+1 on Fairmont, MN. CNO-PVU-AIA-FRM on Saturday. Spent the night at Fairmont at the Holiday inn. Some other RV's had the airport car, and the Holiday Inn picked up the cab fare. Was over Ripon just before 8 am on Sunday morning..... I was the only plane between Ripon and Runway 36 at OSH. Best arrival I ever had.

Thanks for the replies!

To Tom and Dayton,

Both these routes look good and are pretty direct. Both cross through some Restricted airspace and MOA airspace in eastern Nevada. Are these typically not "HOT" so you can get permission to cross through them or do you plan diverting around them?

What is the highest peaks you have to cross on these routes?

Thanks for the help.

Ted