Mark Albery

Well Known Member
Not a substitute for reading and studying the official Notam, but a 30 page document is a bit unwieldy and distracting especially when self-briefing in a tandem cockpit with a one-man crew.

I've condensed the arrival procedure to the essential reminders to fit on a 1 page kneeboard sheet, and happy to share if anyone else finds it useful.

By all means tear it apart if you think I've missed anything important.
The one thing I did think about adding is to call Twr immediately if going around, but I think I can remember that.

Clear concise and condense as expected from a Tesla Engineer! Could you please update it in 2018 :D

Good summary but I think the holding patterns are left turns which would be CC.

Last edited:
I think there has also been a procedure change for aircraft equipped with ADS-B out to leave ponders on.

Yep, new this year. From the NOTAM:

Approaching Ripon
Ensure lights are on, and all non-ADS-B equipped aircraft set transponder to Standby within 30 miles of OSH.

...and, be sure you have a copy of the full NOTAM (link here) in the aircraft to go with the kneeboard cheat-sheet copy (which I think is a great idea BTW, I've made a hand-written copy of runways and frequencies in the past for the arrival and it helped when things got a little wonky or I flubbed a radio frequency knob twist).

Quoting the NOTAM:

Careful reading and adherence to the procedures in this NOTAM are essential to maintaining the safety record of this event. Flight planning should include thorough familiarity with NOTAM procedures, as well as knowledge of primary and alternate airports. Carry a copy of this NOTAM for inflight reference.

Revised File has been posted!

Good summary but I think the holding patterns are left turns which would be CC.

Good catch Walt! I'll put it right.

I just read the original that I downloaded and saw the same thing. IF anyone downloaded an early version delete it and download the latest. Goes for printed copies also.

Holds are Counter-Clockwise (Anti-Clockwise) LEFT turns.

Last edited:
I just read the original that I downloaded and saw the same thing. IF anyone downloaded an early version delete it and download the latest. Goes for printed copies also.

Holds are Counter-Clockwise (Anti-Clockwise) LEFT turns.

And transponders are supposed to remain on if you are ADS-B out equipped.