pat

Well Known Member
Im planning to attend OSH early this year possibly several days prior to opening day. Even though camping is first come first serve, should I feel guilty about possibly taking a camping spot that others may have had for years? I dont mind camping out of the way but closer to flight line and facilities sounds good too. I have read on this forum and others how people have camped in the same spot for years. I have camped for years but never in the same spot twice, just whatever was open. Im hoping for a good, hassle free location.

Oshkosh Camping

Don't worry about it.

The campers that are worried about "their" space have already staked it out and are paying for it...I know guys that move their campers in as soon as Camp Scholler opens for business.

Things are also a bit different this year since some spaces have been converted to full hookups for ground-based RVs, so many "traditional" spaces may not be the same as they once were!

Good luck,
Mike

What Mike said is true. Most of the die-hards already have their claims staked. You won't have any issues. I've had mine stake for 11 days now. Can't wait.

If you do.....

We will just move your tent or camper to airshow center on 36L in the middle of the night if you camp in our spot. :D

We will just move your tent or camper to airshow center on 36L in the middle of the night if you camp in our spot. :D

Some jerk did that (well, not to airshow center) to us last year. We flew up a few days early, staked out our spot and staked the registration in the middle, only to arrive and find out that some clown next door decided that he wanted more room, so he just moved our stakes! That didn't leave us enough room to camp. :mad:

If that happens again, I'll give up on Scholler and just camp with the plane from now on.

Don't give up on Scholler. Despite the occasional jerk, it's still the best show at the show. I'm always disappointed that AirVenture Today always devotes time to the "Around the Field" page to people who are camping with their airplanes, and excludes the good people in the campground. After last year's show, I contacted them to see if I could write a Scholler daily piece for them, but they said "no." (At the Piece of Grass "after-party" last year, Spruce Moose encouraged me to volunteer if I didn't like the coverage).

This year, I'm working for EAA Radio at AirVenture, so I'll be looking for good stories in the campground, like THE best campsite.

I'm also looking forward to being out of the middle of the field and down in the woods by the entrance. I hope I'll be able to sleep without the constant din of the highway.

Bob,

I don't recall saying that, but it sure sounds like something I would say...

Are you camping with the radio crew also in Paul's Woods? Their compound is right next to the homebuilt parking crew's compound (where I camp.)

@Don- If that happens again, notify Camp Scholler security, as they take a dim view of this sort of thing. One little trick- get yourself some orange marking spray paint and mark the spots where you put your stakes in. It makes it easy to see if your stakes have been moved, and easier to plead your case.

Some jerk did that (well, not to airshow center) to us last year. We flew up a few days early, staked out our spot and staked the registration in the middle, only to arrive and find out that some clown next door decided that he wanted more room, so he just moved our stakes!

I remember you were not a "happy camper". We ended up next to each other after your move.

I think it's going to be worse this year since the EAA has "appropriated" a lot more tent space. It was bad enough when last year they blocked off the high ground by the security building for their trailers and fifth wheels and now they've pulled even more tent space for electrical and water hook-ups. Of course, it is their ground and they can do what they want. I just don't think I (and a lot of others that bring tents) fit into their plans anymore. What a deal, raise the price and push all the low rollers out further to the west. It was bad enough showing up four days early just to get to pitch a tent in the ditch (the flood plain). I can't wait to see how this is going to work this year.

Bob,

I don't recall saying that, but it sure sounds like something I would say...

Are you camping with the radio crew also in Paul's Woods? Their compound is right next to the homebuilt parking crew's compound (where I camp.)

@Don- If that happens again, notify Camp Scholler security, as they take a dim view of this sort of thing. One little trick- get yourself some orange marking spray paint and mark the spots where you put your stakes in. It makes it easy to see if your stakes have been moved, and easier to plead your case.

You and Brasch were well through the Scotch at the time. That's usually the high point of my Oshkosh experience. :p

Yes, I'm with the radio crew. I hear it's a good evening party location. This is going to be my best Oshkosh ever!

Where should I camp?

Hi ya'll,

I hear a lot of ya'll talking about Camp Scholler. Is there any reason I would prefer to set my tent up there? I had been planning on camping with my RV in HBC.

Where do most of the RV pilots camp?

Hi ya'll,

I hear a lot of ya'll talking about Camp Scholler. Is there any reason I would prefer to set my tent up there? I had been planning on camping with my RV in HBC.

Where do most of the RV pilots camp?

RV Pilots are here there and everywhere, just like everyone else. I have camped in Scholler and also Homebuilt Camping. Scholler is like a zoo. Noise and traffic much of the time. Kids going by on their mopeds and whatever. If you like that type of thing, then it is there for you. HBC is totally different. very little noise. much darker. Not as much ambient light. No vehicle traffic at all.

Another thing to consider - the camp store is way closer to Scholler. The showers are nicer at Scholler. So pick the one that fits you best and have some fun!

Steve Ciha

I think it's going to be worse this year since the EAA has "appropriated" a lot more tent space. It was bad enough when last year they blocked off the high ground by the security building for their trailers and fifth wheels and now they've pulled even more tent space for electrical and water hook-ups. Of course, it is their ground and they can do what they want. I just don't think I (and a lot of others that bring tents) fit into their plans anymore. What a deal, raise the price and push all the low rollers out further to the west. It was bad enough showing up four days early just to get to pitch a tent in the ditch (the flood plain). I can't wait to see how this is going to work this year.
Don?t take that attitude. If you?re a member they?re your grounds too. However someone once said ?the needs of the many out weight the needs of the few.?

Is the (North 40) and (HBC) the same area?

Tim,

It is close but the N40 is on the far end past Ultralights.
HBC is where they put you in the same are but closer to
show center, 1/2 mile.
Stayed there last year and will be staying in the dorms
this year.
Rain, showers, Tents is the reason for the change.

Hope this helps.

This will be the 3rd year for my 9A (and the 4, the 6, the 6A, the 7, the Husky, the Bonanza, and the C182 from our home field) in the North 40. We like the proximity of the off base Hilton or LaShures for breakfast, the other restaurants and stores. We can watch the pm airshow with a cold brew in hand (sitting 'neath the 182 wing, natch). The EAA is building us another shower house this year. Highway noise becomes less of a bother every passing year.

Thanks all. Sounds like HBC for me - I'm a big camper so the tent/rain thing I kinda dig.

There are two camp stores in Scholler, fyi. But I think the biggest difference, aside from the forementioned, is you can spread out. You're not sharing your campsite with an airplane. Better parties, too.

You and Brasch were well through the Scotch at the time. That's usually the high point of my Oshkosh experience. :p

Yes, I'm with the radio crew. I hear it's a good evening party location. This is going to be my best Oshkosh ever!

Yes, once again, that sounds like me.

It is a good location. We are a short 9 iron from the gate, and an 8 iron from Theater in the Woods. The radio crew is right next to the Homebuilt Parking crew. The Oshkosh Irregulars are right across the road from us. Chuck Swain and co (the beer coffin) are just down the road. There's a couple of stories right there. Flightline Safety and the tiki party are a stone's throw. You get the idea.

Here is a great pic of our little gang from 2005. Go to page 86 and 87.

http://www.oshkosh365.org/saarchive/eaa_issues/magazine_200510.pdf

Oh, I almost forgot. Darwin will be staying with us again. Reason enough to have fun (at his expense, mostly.)

Tim,

It is close but the N40 is on the far end past Ultralights.
HBC is where they put you in the same are but closer to
show center, 1/2 mile.
Just to clarify a bit, so folks don't get confused. North 40 is at the far north end of the field, the area that wraps around runway 9/27. Ultralights are way down at the south end. HBC is just west of Area 51 (AKA the Sea of RVs) and is quite convenient to most everything, quite a ways further south than N40.

Bring your mudders!

It doesn't look like this pattern of unstable weather we've had all summer is going to end.

Heavy rain is predicted overnight and through most of Friday. The weekend is supposed to be OK.

Bob,

Not sure where you saw that forecast. Weather.com is predicting

Jul 23 Friday- Partly cloudy, chance of a thunderstorm. Highs in the mid 80s and lows in the upper 60s.
Jul 24 Saturday - Scattered thunderstorms possible. Highs in the upper 70s and lows in the mid 60s.
Jul 25 Sunday -Sunny. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the mid 60s.
Jul 26 Monday - Sunshine. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the mid 60s.
Jul 27 Tuesday - Isolated thunderstorms. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the upper 60s.
Jul 28 Wednesday - Plenty of sun. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the upper 60s.
Jul 29 Thursday - Scattered thunderstorms possible. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the upper 60s.
Jul 30 Friday - Mix of sun and clouds. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the upper 60s.

I am predicting that it'll be awesome!

HBC

Home Built Camping has Helicopters over head all the time, very bad noise.
Do they fly over the north 40?

No aircraft fly over the North 40. Probably because rwy 9-27 runs up the middle of the N40. The Ford TriMotor and the EAA B17 are regular 9-27 users. We can see the 'copters off in the distance hovering over HBC before heading over to land at the Museum from here.

Home Built Camping has Helicopters over head all the time, very bad noise.
Do they fly over the north 40?

I expect (Demand would be a better term) LOTS of airplane noises and the smell of burning fuel all day long (ah yes... "I love the smell of kerosene in the morning").

HBC is just east of HBP. HBP RVs are just north of the forum area.

You only have to pay for camping in HBC. The is no fee for HBP.

Where is Homebuilt Parking vs Homebuilt camping? And I can't find how much parking is? I see $22/night for camping.

Homebuilt parking has in the past couple years been in three places that I can think of:

1) along the front row of 18/36 just across the road from the federal pavillion

2) immediately to the north of the forums/workshops area

3) north across the taxiway from main homebuilt camping area, just in front of the admissions gate at the warbirds area.

#3 is where we got sent for day-parking in the RV-10 last year.

There is no charge for day-parking your airplane there, just the regular admissions fee for your person.

Methinks if you fly your homebuilt airplane into there, they should let you in for free.

Not sure if the original poster was looking just at the OShkosh grounds, but I will be going back to Circle R Campground 2 miles south for a second visit after having stayed at both Scholler and Sleepy Hollow in the past. At Circle R, in the very back, they have a nice wooded area just for tents and small campers, electric sites. Much more quiet, love the shade on hot days.