rv9aviator

Well Known Member
I started to buy advance tickets but am a little confused about prices. I will be flying my RV in and will camp by the plane hopefully where all the other RV's will be. Is that considered the Showplanes parking. I understand there is a three day minimum on tickets if I plan on camping. I assume that applies to camping by the plane as well as in the campground. There is a $24.00 camping charge per night without electric in the campground but do I have to pay that on top of the ticket price if I camp by my plane? I didn't see anyplace to pay for camping except in the campground. One last question. I plan on flying in on Sunday morning around 11:00 AM. Bad time slot or OK?
Thanks!!!

Camping by the plane.

If you want to camp by your plane (and it's a homebuilt) you will need to alert them upon landing that you wish to taxi to Home Built Camping (HBC). Read the NOTAM, as it goes over this in detail. I believe it's the same price to camp by your plane as it is to camp in Camp Scholler. There are no open fires allowed when camping on the lineup, but you will be close to the action, and the facilities (in my experience) are not as crowded as they are in Scholler. See you there!

So that will make my ticket $50.00 per day per person with a three day minimum. I requested the written notam but didn't see a copy on their site. I'll look again. I may still be confused. Is Homebuilt camping the same as just putting up a tent beside your plane?

Edit: I may have this figured out. I see it as I will pay $49.00 per day with a three day minimum and my guest only pays the $25.00 per day. In otherwords the camping fee is only per plane.

Last edited:
Pricing

The camping fee will be for your camp site, not per person.

Your admission fee for the show will get you a wristband to access the show grounds.

The location of campgrounds is seperate from regular parking, and the show area.

You will see the various parking areas on the map
  • Homebuilt Camping - I8
  • Homebuilt Area - M8
  • Nort 40 Camping - F4
  • Warbird Camping - J6
  • Vinatage Camping - K16
  • Showplane Parking/Camping - M17
  • South 40 - M24
etc.

Your other questions all got good answers, but I'll take a stab at the last one. Sunday at 11AM will be one of the busiest arrival times of the week. If you can swing it, I'd try to arrive much earlier in the morning (maybe 8) and it will be much less crowded. Most of the horror stories about hours of holding around Rush lake are from the Sunday and Monday arrivals.

The new notam is not out yet and I was wondering about flying into OSH later in the day Sunday. I understand 11:00Am is not good. I am too far away to arrive early in the day. Would the traffic be lighter in the late afternoon? I wonder how late the airport will be open for arrivals on Sunday. I really want to be there Monday for the RV festivities.

Last edited:
Oshkosh Arrival Plans

Everybody has their "war" stories of flying into Oshkosh. My best experience was when I overnighted (motel) in De Kalb Illinois and departed there just after sunrise. I was all by myself (There was NOBODY ELSE on the frequency!) from Ripon all the way into Oshkosh arriving around 7:15 AM on Saturday. I camped in the "North 40" b/c I was in my 172. I think this was in 2007. I've flown in about 5 times. If you think you might be arriving during a busy time, you should consider having another pair of eyes with you to spot traffic.

Last edited:
The new notam is not out yet and I was wondering about flying into OSH later in the day Sunday. I understand 11:00Am is not good. I am too far away to arrive early in the day. Would the traffic be lighter in the late afternoon? I wonder how late the airport will be open for arrivals on Sunday. I really want to be there Monday for the RV festivities.

Jim,
We're going to have a gaggle from Arkansas flying up Saturday the 21st.
A few of us from Louisiana are joining up with some others from Pine Bluff and then North Little Rock. Maybe you could go a day early and fly with us?
Sunday is a great day to watch everyone else land !!

Mark

Jim,
Weather permitting, I'lll be leaving the Tampa Bay area on Saturday morning and expect to arrive mid-afternoon. I'm a first timer and thought I'd get there a day early to get settled in & enable me to watch all the incoming traffic on Sunday & Monday. I'll be in HBC. I have a Yellow with Blue stripes RV7.

See you there.

HBC question

OK I got the HBC area identified and if you google KOSH the satellite photos were taken during Airventure week (Year??)

However, it looks like there is quite a mix of different aircraft in HBC. Do they reserve HBC areas for different types? (Like Sun n Fun/OSH does for HB area parking)

Are they going to stick me with a bunch of plastic planes if I arrive when they do. No offense intended ;)

Where do most of the VAF RV'ers camp? Not that I want to hang with any of you fanatics......big :)

RV's in HBC

All types of homebuilt airplanes camp in HBC. However by far the RV's out number all other types. Don't worry about being parked by other types (those folks are friendly too) because you probably won't be more than a plane or two away from an RV. The vast majority of RV'ers who camp with their plane do so in HBC. I'll be there.

However, it looks like there is quite a mix of different aircraft in HBC. Do they reserve HBC areas for different types? (Like Sun n Fun/OSH does for HB area parking)
For the most part, yes. We start out with a plan (RVs in these rows, glass-backwards over there, really big stuff here etc) and for the most part like types are together. However, even with years of experience and data, it is impossible to predict precisely how many of which type will show up on what day. As a result, depending on when you arrive, you may end up somewhere other than where you thought or hoped. Just roll with it, you're still at Oshkosh and not too far from the other RVs.

Saturday might be a better option. My son is coming with me and he is a pilot too so that will be a big help in watching for other planes. Mark, That sounds like a great offer. I'll talk to my son and see if he can come a day early. Do you have a fuel stop planned at a particular airport between Arkansas and Osh!

Last edited:
Sounds like the Arkansas gaggle is leaving around the same time as me. If you don't mind. Can you send me your en-route freq? I'd like to monitor it and maybe check in.

See you at HBC.

EAA Webinar for AirVenture

The EAA posted their May/June Webinar schedule. On June 21 is Flying into AirVenture at 7 p.m. CDT. It may be some help, especially for first-timers.
Curt
Salem, OR

Dan, I would imagine you will be well East of us most of the trip. I know most of the locals here use 122.75 for plane to plane conversations. I sure hope the weather cooperates as this is getting exciting. Tadpole, thanks for the info. I have flown to Osh twice but it's been several years.

HBC is an absolutely atrocious camping location. A Tuesday night party among the houses to the west features a LOUD R&R band (sometimes they're pretty good!) not associated with Airventure romps until 1 a.m. Then the road graders work the main access road bordering HBC until dawn. The adjacent VERY BRIGHT and tall parking lot lights illuminate the area. I've tried using an ANR headset only to find it picked up stray RF from a nearby COW. Don't expect to get much sleep in HBC.

This year I'm heading to Vintage or South 40, all south of Theater in the Woods, no parking lots, and further away from light and noise sources.

Sunday p.m. is a good arrival time. The morning rush is over, and you don't have to work around the airshow closure.

John Siebold

Didn't know that! The last time I went I stayed wherever they park Bonanzas. It was not bad at all. Before that I stayed in the North 40. I remember it being fine too except for a long walk to a shower or restroom.

A somewhat dissenting view

While I can't speak to light levels or road grader noise, I can offer an opinion on the party noise. The band John is talking about is most likely the nightly band at the SOS Bros tent located on Waukau Ave across the street from Camp Scholler's 101 Woods. If you've ever seen a bright yellow tethered balloon with a smiley face on it, that's the place. Anyway, we camped in the 101 Woods last year not more than a couple of hundred yards from the SOS Brios and didn't find the noise particularly disturbing--plus I'm positive the band stopped by midnight. It boils down to individual tolerances--for my family, noise was a non-issue and we were at least 6 times closer to the band than anyone in HBC or North 40. I suppose it helps that we contributed to the noise over at SOS Bros on more than one occaision ;) (I love me some beer and brats :D).

Last edited:
I guess I'll just have to put up with whatever happens cause I really want to be where most of the RV people are going to be.:)

Saturday might be a better option. My son is coming with me and he is a pilot too so that will be a big help in watching for other planes. Mark, That sounds like a great offer. I'll talk to my son and see if he can come a day early. Do you have a fuel stop planned at a particular airport between Arkansas and Osh!

Jim,
Last year we stopped at Quincy, IL (KUIN) and then at Dodge County, WS. (KUNU). Dodge County is about 30 miles out and gives you a chance to "get ready" for the leg into OSH.

Before I got hooked up with Arkansas bunch I would take a more easterly route, stopping at Kennett, MO. (KTKX) Great fuel prices and nice facilities. McDonalds is a short walk.

Camping at HBC you can hear the band playing but it really didn't bother me at all. I'm usually pretty tired when I hit the sack at Oshkosh!

Keep in touch, we'll know more details about our flight a few weeks before OSH.

Dan,
We normally use 123.45 for air to air. "Fingers" it's called.
If that gets too crowded we go to 123.47

Mark

Meet u in KUNU

Mark,

I'll meet u at KUNU (even if it is only 15 min away from 2WI6) :) to fly in with your group. We may have our own mini mass arrival.

Here's a thought ...

If you would like to fly into Oshkosh in a long coordinated line of airplanes reserved for your arrival on Sunday with nobody talking to you I have an adventurous option. It does require flying to Mitchel, South Dakota. I have refueled both times I made the trip from Fayetteville (Drake) at Topeka, KS. You will have a large group dinner Saturday night, breakfast Sunday morning and another dinner Sunday night in Oshkosh. You will fly individually to a collection point airport in Wisconsin (likely Fond Du Lac) then later in the day fly as part of two long parallel lines to pre assigned runways at OSH (36L and 36R for example). Since you have an O-320 engine you are likely to receive a prestigous AirVenture Cup trophy for your winning position in the lightly contested RV Red class as a bonus. Checkout http://www.airventurecuprace.com.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Pease & Quite

Jim,

The helicopter rides that fly over HBC are the problem. They start early and fly late. Lots have written in but to deft ears

Mark, I have a question about airspeed. I have never flown that long distance in a group. Do you fly at an airspeed that will work for different HP planes? My 9A is a 150 HP and not exactly a speed demon.

Sleeping Well in HBC

Sure-fire tips for sleeping well in HBC:
1) Walk all day, visiting airplanes, vendors, people.
2) Use your earplugs at night.

If that doesn't do it for you, stuff a ball cap and a small piece of tarp in your backpack and take a power nap in the shade of a tree during the day. Spread the tarp on the grass, use the backpack for a pillow, pull the ball cap over your eyes, and drift off to the background sounds of airplanes and people.

PS: Hats don't work that well for naps; ball caps are made for them.

OSH

Jim,

Carol and I will be flying in a burner and working in Averys Tool Booth.
Wish we could fly n Camp though. Have Fun!!

Mark, I have a question about airspeed. I have never flown that long distance in a group. Do you fly at an airspeed that will work for different HP planes? My 9A is a 150 HP and not exactly a speed demon.

Jim,
The slowest plane flies as fast as he feels comfortable with and the others match that
speed, up to a point:D

If you can do 155kts that would be ok.

Mark

North 40

I'm a North 40 fan. This will be year 9 for me. It's about as quiet as it gets for camping, the new shower house with real toilets is great, charging station for your phone and tablet, and the people are nice. Plenty of buses around the N40 and into town just a few steps away. You are also right on the flight line for 9/27. Walk through in the evening and if saying hi to people along the way (walking through not on the road) I'll bet you can't make it all the way through without being offered some refreshment. There are usually a few RV's parked out there so you won't be alone. The other easy thing from the North 40 is morning flights. We usually go up two or three morning then right back to our spot.

HBC

Looking forward to flying Miss Sandy to OSH the week before (probably Thursday). I volunteered in HBC last year and had a great time. I think I'll camp again near the fence and pretty close to the Bar and lights. Ususally they secure around 11PM. I hope to klast the whole week wx permitting.
I'll be flying out of KLZU NE of Atlanta, so any company would be fine by me.
Blue Skies,
Jerry
PS the bottle of 12 year old bourbon helps me sleep

Jim,
The slowest plane flies as fast as he feels comfortable with and the others match that
speed, up to a point:D

If you can do 155kts that would be ok.

Mark

Mark, can you stand another plane in your gaggle? I could meet you in Rushton and we could move on from there. Osh First timer here.

Sure

Mark, can you stand another plane in your gaggle? I could meet you in Rushton and we could move on from there. Osh First timer here.

Alton,
We'll be leaving at just about sunrise from Ruston. That's as soon as David Bray can get up here from Natchez, MS. in "High Cotton" his RV-8.

It's a bit out of your way but you are sure welcome to join us. You'll need to spend the night here though to make it work, I think.

Mark

Alton,
. . . It's a bit out of your way but you are sure welcome to join us. You'll need to spend the night here though to make it work, I think.

Mark
Mark, I didn't think it would be that far out of the way. I crunched the numbers and it turns out to be 20 gallons of fuel out of the way. I will have to take the direct route. See ya there.

Looking ahead

I know this is a little premature but I have some AirVenture camping questions. For the first time, I have the opportunity to camp at AirVenture. I have been reading the previous threads but I have a few questions.

In reading other posts, one person says that camp stoves aren't allowed in HBC but the rules I read indicate that only open fires (i.e., wood fires) and charcoal fires are not allowed. If somebody wants to cook at their campsite in HBC using a camp stove, is this allowed? I notice that some of you camp in Camp Scholler. Do you fly in and then camp at Scholler and in that way you can cook there? If I arrive on Saturday, how far will I have to walk toting my gear?

I plan on bringing a tent (10 pounds), cot (3 pounds), 2 chairs (11 pounds total), sleeping bag and mattress pad and a soft-sided cooler.

Just a few questions for starters. I will have more no doubt

Not much cooking I've ever seen going on in HBC. Most RVs (except 10s) are far too weight and volume limited on baggage carrying capacity to bring a camping stove since food is readily available in numerous places all over.

Over in the North 40, there are plenty of campsites with camping stoves, the spamcan drivers tend to carry in a lot of supplies and camping gear... and if you know or meet up with the right folks there, you can often mooch.... uhh I mean find yourself invited for supper and some cold, tasty adult beverages :p;):D

There's also now a cantina that sells food and beer in the N40 too, and if you don't mind a bit of a walk from HBC, for supper and evening drinks and entertainment there's always the SOS Brothers beer tent near the museum that has very good food.

Camp Scholler is a really long way from HBC. You might want to look at that with Google Earth before considering carrying your entire campsite from HBC to Scholler.

EDIT: This is what EAA says about stoves in the aircraft camping areas: Careful use of white gas or propane fired camp stoves is allowed in aircraft camping, provided they are used in an area well away from parked aircraft, and that the stove is attended at all times. It is strongly recommended that aircraft near the stove be checked for any fuel fumes or leakage, and the stove be elevated above ground level.

Last edited:
If I arrive on Saturday, how far will I have to walk toting my gear?

If you arrive on Saturday and camp under your wing, you won't have to tote your gear far at all.

If you want to go over to Scholler, you flag down the courtesy van, load up, and let the van carry you and your stuff wherever you want to go.

Either way, no problem. Personally, I think HBC is the ticket. Been there 8 or 10 times. Hope to be there many more times. Funnest place on earth for one week every year.

I have stayed at Scholler many times but after a certain time could not get back "into" the show area. Is HBC "behind the fence" so to speak? If so, going to Scholler would lock one from returning to your plane for some times.

Just asking . . .

I have stayed at Scholler many times but after a certain time could not get back "into" the show area. Is HBC "behind the fence" so to speak? If so, going to Scholler would lock one from returning to your plane for some times.

Just asking . . .

Camping in HBC, they should let you back in, even if it's "after hours." I believe there is always a gate open for people camping in HBC. It just may not be the most convenient gate...

Camping in HBC, they should let you back in, even if it's "after hours." I believe there is always a gate open for people camping in HBC. It just may not be the most convenient gate...

Access to HBC isn't a problem if you have an armband. Sometimes, even if you don't.

On Occasion Weather

On Occasion Weather issues might have you wishing you were by your plane.One big objection I have to camp Scholler is the late night smouldering charcoal pit off gassing,hangs in the air,same air you have laying in a sleeping bag. The food situation has improved drastically in the last few years with restaurants a short walk from HBC. Scholler looks more like a NASCAR event with all the large motor homes taking over.You also have non aviation groups that can run into the wee hours,Port-o-let doors with long springs and a distinctive thud when they slam shut at 3am. HBC has RVs in droves is out of the way of diaper changing parents. A down side is there isn't any shade.Open flames near any airplane is not a good idea.With so many food choices close by not needed.Any way you do it. It's the best week of the year.

Just asking . . .

I've never encountered a problem getting to HBC from Scholler. I've tried after midnight and at dawn. I don't recall ever seeing the gates by Theater in Woods or by Vintage ever closed.