Paul Austin

HI
Just wondering if anyone can give me some tips on getting accomodation for oshkosh. we are coming for the week and would like something close and convenient. We have a dorm room booked at UW as backup but does not sound very comfortable and all the motels close by are booked out but wondering if anyone knows of any others options :confused:

OSH accommodation secret

Shhhhhhhh Don't tell anyone, :cool:
But if you want comfort during OSH, rent a house!
The people are great, find one close to the Bus route, even better
The gentlleman we rented from found a rental car for us to use since his house was off the Bus path.
http://www.visitoshkosh.com/eaa-house.cfm

We have always used a motel

The roads and highways in Wisconsin are very scenic and well maintained so staying really close is not as important as is commonly imagined. Last year after the AirVenture Cup race from Mitchell, South Dakota to the Juneau/ Dodge County Airport with recovery at Fond Du Lac and group fly into Oshkosh we just landed at Juneau/Dodge County and got a motel at Beaver Dam (or something like that) and drove a very pleasant drive from there (I had a 60 mile commute each way to work from south Orange County to Pasadena in the Los Angeles basin each day so I savor the view of green country side and corn fields). The year before it was some other outlying town to the southeast. Some of the people I know from this area go to Oshkosh each year and stay in private home and love it - that doesn't work for me but if you go through the EAA AirVenture site they used to have a helpful link for housing accommodations.

Bob Axsom

Don't sell

the dorms short. Stayed there last year for the first time and was impressed. Food at the Cafeteria was good and had a large variety. Transportation was flawless in and out of the field. Only thing to be aware of is the need for a fan. Only stayed for 3 nights so if you're there for a week, could get old but for $50 a night, a great deal.

I'm trying the dorms this year. I'll be there Sun-Tue. I think final payments are due 15 June, so you might see some rooms open up next week if they're already full.

Really, how much time are you going to spend in your dorm room?

The dorms are clean and fairly quiet and but can be a bit hot. My suggestion would be to pay the local Wal-Mart a visit and buy a cheap box fan that can be put into the window. When your stay is done, just leave the fan behind for the next guy.

PS - When I stayed in the dorms a few years ago I had a good time in the evenings hanging out in the bar they have in the basement of the union building. Pool tables, sports on TV, a place to sit, air conditioning and cheap beer, what more could you ask for!

Last edited:
When I stayed in the dorms a few years ago I had a good time in the evenings hanging out in the bar they have in the basement of the union building. Pool tables, sports on TV, a place to sit, air conditioning and cheap beer, what more could you ask for!

Air conditioning.

Brad has it right. For 10 years I have been staying with a local family for $60 a night. Breakfast, laundry, A/C, Internet, car, beer included. What more could you want?

Oshkosh Christian School

I highly recommend this school.

This is a fund raiser for the school. They convert the classrooms to dorm space (air conditioned). It is about 10 folks to a room. The cots are comfortable. They have a gym with shower facilities. Free bus transportation to and from Airventure is provided. Breakfast is included at $45 per night. Typically they also have a $5 dinner every night. They also provide pickup and dropoff from the Appleton airport (donations desired to help pay for gas)

I have stayed there for the past 4 years during Airventure and will be staying there this year. Typically there are between 70-100 folks from all over the world staying there. Many return to the school year after year.

A few years ago I met a "clan" from down under at the school. We have become great friends. They spent Christmas last year with my family in Tucson AZ. Now we are heading down under during Christmas this year to spend time with them. And next year (Airventure 2010) we will all meet again at the School for a week.

This past year I met a gentleman from Japan. He and I had great talks about WWII. He took lots of photos and when he returned to Japan he contacted me and told me he was going to write articles about his adventures at AirVenture in Japan's largest aviation magazine (Koku Fan). Last month I received a copy of the magazine and there are a few photos of me at the sheet metal workshop at Airventure where I volunteer and at my shop at home. I can't read a word of the article, it's in Japanese, but I must be famous in Japan by now (not). I don't think I would have ever had the opportunity to meet all these wonderful people if not for the school.

Oshkosh Christian School
7 miles from EAA site
www.oshkoshchristian.com
3450 Vinland Rd., Oshkosh, WI 54901
Contacts Jodi Kalmus 920 589-4041 or [email protected]; school number: 920-237-9704 ext. 4

Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Room in a home

I was going to camp out but decided this past Friday to check the EAA website for a room in a private home. They have a great site where you can list the homes by price per night. I emailed five people and got two positive replies. I will be staying five blocks from the airport for $75.00 per night, breakfast and transposrtation included. Home has central A/C, internet and a cold refrigerator. I got tired of getting rained on in my tent!
Give the website a try.

Marian college anyone?

any comments about Naber hall? I'm guessing it is not the deal the big university is: no shuttle bus service, no AC, not close by..

Be a Bum....

I'm going to be a Hobo this year....

Since Louise is working the show for the National Park Service, she is getting a hotel room up in Appleton - that covers me for nights when I want some A/C. I have friends that have extra tent/cot space in Camp Scholler, so if I want to "late night it" at OSH itself, I can crash with them. I'll just use the Val's baggage compartment as a closet, and wander the area as I wish....;)

(I'm working parts of the show for NASA, but I figure I can save the government some travel money this way!)

Paul

I'm working parts of the show for NASA, but I figure I can save the government some travel money this way!

:eek: But if you don't use up your TDY funds by October you'll lose them!!! Spend spend spend! There's still $0.30 on the GPC! Quick, buy some paper clips!

Naw... just kidding ;)

marian college

My experience was great in 2006, this year I'll be there again, easy access to airventure, nice restaurant to eat in the evening, quite place

See you

I'll also vote for Marian College at Fondu Lac(sp)

Its only a couple exits up Highway 41 to the show.

Lots more elbow room than the college in OSH. I've stayed at both.

They have a bus service, but I've not used it. Rent a car.

I have stayed in all varieties of accommodation except the schools.

I know the request was for CLOSE but just to cover all bases this is what I have done the last couple of years.

It is almost impossible now to get a hotel in the OSH, ATW area because so many book up in October. Also many require multiple nights, up to 5 booked in advance... take or pay.

I stay in Green Bay. Since my RV is not done I have flown my Maule. Last year had hard surface parking! Great FBO's. You can get a car or room on short notice -- like book the day before. If you fly in or out iFR there are no reservation problems. OK, so it takes 45-50 minutes to drive rather than 25-30 from, for example, Appleton but haven't noticed. It's an easy drive on a good highway. Hotel prices are less.

This VAF forum site is the best, to think I don?t actually know any one personally and after posting my request for accomadation at Osh this year, the very next morning I have accommodation right across the road from the eveant, this genorosity is hard to comprehend but so greatly appreciated.

Paul