Paul Walter

Hi all, wondering if anyone can help me with a room at Oshkosh this year. I would prefer to rent a room off someone at thier home. I am prepared to pay good money per night and will forward the cash up front or what ever is required. I understand I might be leaving it a bit late but any help will be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Paul

Hi all, wondering if anyone can help me with a room at Oshkosh this year. I would prefer to rent a room off someone at thier home. I am prepared to pay good money per night and will forward the cash up front or what ever is required. I understand I might be leaving it a bit late but any help will be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Paul

There are two places you can check. There is a link off the Airventure site and Craigslist.com both have house/room rentals listed. On Craigslist look under Appleton vacation rentals.

Anyone have a room for just Saturday night?

Paul's sister is coming over to AirVenture for a couple of days and we would like to find a room for her for just Saturday night. (Paul and I will camp that night. We have a hotel room the rest of the week.) She will have her car and could bring her own linens.

If someone has a room that won't be used Saturday night and would like to defray some of your costs, please let Paul or me know. Thanks!

Paul's sister is coming over to AirVenture for a couple of days and we would like to find a room for her for just Saturday night. (Paul and I will camp that night. We have a hotel room the rest of the week.) She will have her car and could bring her own linens.

If someone has a room that won't be used Saturday night and would like to defray some of your costs, please let Paul or me know. Thanks!

Sent you a PM

Another Oshkosh Noobie Checks In

OK, I?ve done the due diligence thing in the forum archives, studied the Airventure site and aerial photos till my eyes watered, and succeeded in acquiring a ton of good info for an Oshkosh first-timer. I still have a few short questions, though, help with which I would be immensely grateful.

We?ll be flying commercial into MKE, rented car to OSH, attending Mon-Tue-Wed.

1. Currently shopping the websites for lodging in a private home very close to the airport. For daily coming and going convenience, which is the better area to consider, east, west, north, or south side of the field?

2. To that point, are there access gates anywhere other than the west side?...for walk-ins / cars? How do people move from the main venue back and forth to the seaplane cove?

3. What is the daily drive-in traffic situation?certain hours to target?to avoid?

4. Does OSH have on-field tram service like Sun ?n? Fun?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice and opinions. I hope to meet many of y?all neat folks from this marvelous forum, and thereby attach smiling faces to familiar names.

Can't answer for the best location as in n,e,w or s.

The only entrance(s) are on the west side. Traffic gets heavy on Waukau about 8ish in the morning so, the earlier you get there, the lighter the traffic.

There's 4 tram routes that run continuously on the grounds throughout the day. 2 or 3 trams for each route. When you get your wrist band, you'll be given a "packet", it has a map & an assortment of other goodies in it. The tram routes are shown on the map (I think).

I've never been to the seaplane base. But, there is a bus that transports folks to it from the main gate, IIRC. Last year, there was an extra charge for the bus ride.

Check it out!

I've never been to the seaplane base. But, there is a bus that transports folks to it from the main gate, IIRC. Last year, there was an extra charge for the bus ride.

There is a charge to take the bus roundtrip to the seaplane base (I think around $6), but in my opinion, it's worth it. Go there when you're ready to spend some time relaxing. My wife and I went last year before lunchtime, had our lunch at the base by the water, watching the planes come and go. Then afterward, engaged in a seaplane base tradition: take off your shoes, lay down in a nice, shaded grassy spot and take a nap to the sounds of seaplanes making approaches/departures overhead. It's one thing I try to do at least once every year. The seaplane base is a great way to "get away from it all." I haven't been to their big evening shindig dinner thing, but I've heard it's fun. Bring bug repellant if you plan to stay into the evening.

Answers Received

Thanks Marshall, Mike, and Bob (all "10" men, I notice). That data helps focus the shopping. Hope to see ya there.

Answers, as I see them:

1. At this late date, I don't think you will have much choice. I would think you will be lucky to find anything close, at least for these three prime days only. I hope I am wrong! Camping may be a back-up choice?

2. Walk-ins can get in both north and west, cars west side. You can catch the seaplane shuttle from the south end of the tram runs. While it is a great venue, you are only going to be there three days, and unless seaplanes are your "thing," I wouldn't put it high on my list. Your call, of course.

3. Traffic into town is strange. Usually you will have to go several miles south in order to go north into town. A bother, but not a big deal.

4. The tram and bus service is great, except you may have to wait in line occasionally. Take the bus to the museum, several other venues. I would put the museum above the seaplane base on my personal must-see list, but it is open all year, and you may feel differently.

Have a great Oshkosh! If possible, it would save you time to get a "veteran" to show you around for a couple hours. It can be overwhelming!

Bob