jsharkey

Well Known Member
Thinking ahead.

I live in southwestern VT, close to Albany NY. Direct route to OSH is impractically almost 50% over water, and crosses the Canadian border several times. Practical route is south of lakes Ontario and Erie, and up the VFR-corridor on the west coast of lake Michigan, and under the Chicago Class B.

Does anyone have recommendations for a couple of rest and fuel stops on that route?

Also my youngest daughter and her family just moved to Oshkosh so I have an excuse to trial the route in the coming year :)

Jim Sharkey
RV6

Not sure if you're looking for overnight or just fuel/break stops, but KPCW is a nice halfway-ish stop along that route. Right on Lake Erie, two big runways, reasonable fuel for the area, good restaurant, and a nice museum to check out (Liberty Aviation Museum -- has a couple Trimotors, a B-25, etc).

Hi Jim,

We have group of RV pilots in the Boston area who have flown VFR to KOSH 8 times. Over 8 trips our average flight time to KOSH has been 8.2 hours, whereas our average return flight time has been 6.5 hours. A few comments regarding our trips.
  1. Route is always weather dependent. We rarely fly the initial route. With that said, this year was a cake walk!
  2. We have flown to KOSH in one day but we prefer to overnight within an hour of KOSH, get a good nights sleep, and join the fray early in the morning.
  3. Although we can fly longer, we tend to average 2.5 hours per leg.
  4. We have flown the vfr corridor on the west side of the lake and found it too busy for our liking. We typically stop at KJOT for fuel and fly west of ORD to KOSH.
  5. We bring O2 for our return flight. Ceiling permitting, we will fly the west side of the lake at 11.5 and cut the corner to our first fuel stop. This year we stopped at Sturgis, MI (KIRS)
  6. Inbound stops for you could include any of the following KBFD, KFKL, KGKJ, JKOT, C77, KUNU
Send me a PM if you would like to discuss other options. Feel free to join us in 2025. We typically plan to leave the Friday before KOSH.

Best,

Mike Draper

Last edited: