Caveman

Well Known Member
Oshkosh%2520tornado.jpg

The picture above was taken on the Sunday before the show started. A small group of us were at the HBC coffee tent and someone mentioned they'd heard there was a tornado in the area. It appeared to form near the western edge of the lake. It never touched down that we could tell, but made for some interesting conversation. I guess I'm a bit surprised I haven't heard it mentioned.

Joe

I remember seeing some photos posted on the Internet somewhere, maybe even in the VAF Forums.

We have seen this one too while waiting in line at the classic concession just before the airshow started. As we are not used to tornado's here in Europe, my wife started to be worried. I never had the impression that it would touch down. We sheltered in the international visitors tent because that was the closest tent we could find and thinking that they would understand that we are unfamiliar with tornado's. :D Nothing happened.

A group of us was walking from HBC to SOS for dinner when we saw the twister. It was very interesting to watch it develop and then disappear. At first it was just barley hanging down from the cloud base and we were debating if it really was a twister, then extended down in a long thin rotating form. After watching it for 5 min or so while we walked it just as suddenly retracted into the cloud and disappeared. It definetly was the center of conversation for a short time.

I wondered...

I wondered if EAA sent out the weather warning text alert messages. I wasn't signed up for them but heard they were available. We live in tornado alley and watch these quite often so weren't too concerned for ourselves based on our position and the funnel's direction of movement. I was concerned for the sea plane base though. It's hard to judge exactly where they might touch down from a distance. It may have been a long way from there.

Joe

I wondered if EAA sent out the weather warning text alert messages. I wasn't signed up for them but heard they were available. We live in tornado alley and watch these quite often so weren't too concerned for ourselves based on our position and the funnel's direction of movement. I was concerned for the sea plane base though. It's hard to judge exactly where they might touch down from a distance. It may have been a long way from there.

Joe

I didn't receive any weather alerts from EAA until Thursday afternoon when I was already enroute going home.