TomVal

Well Known Member
Oh - if the arrival REALLY bothers you, here's a tip. Arrive the week before the show, prior to Friday (when the NOTAM goes in to effect). It's just a towered airport then. Why woudl you arrive that early? Well, to volunteer, of course! Many opportunities within the EAA to help make the convention great for everyone!

:)

Paul

I snatched Paul's quote from another thread to ask more about volunteering at OSH. The EAA website doesn't give much detail other than to contact them. Can anyone be more specific about the details?

I am close to deciding to hang up the goggles and scarf (not due to health) and was thinking that volunteering at OSH next year would be a great sign-off to my tenure in the cockpit. I would need a combination of standing and sitting activities for the day to keep the back happy and no heavy lifting. Other than that, I believe I would be fit for duty.

Would appreciate your input.

Regards,
Tom

There are something like 5,000 volunteers that make AirVenture work. Whatever your skill set and passion, there's probably an opportunity -- what do you like to do, what are you passionate about? I'm a Chairman there and will help you find something. And there are some volunteers who like the event so much that they volunteer, even though they have no interest in or connection with aviation.

"My" team members are all airplane geeks with good photographic skills. All six of us are tailwheel pilots, but only two are RV owners. Passion.

Ed

There are something like 5,000 volunteers that make AirVenture work. Whatever your skill set and passion, there's probably an opportunity -- what do you like to do, what are you passionate about? I'm a Chairman there and will help you find something. And there are some volunteers who like the event so much that they volunteer, even though they have no interest in or connection with aviation.

"My" team members are all airplane geeks with good photographic skills. All six of us are tailwheel pilots, but only two are RV owners. Passion.

Ed

Thanks Ed. Maybe I'll tailgate you up to OSH next year.:D We are in Charleston! Would like to talk to you as we get closer to the date.

Regards,
Tom

Sheet Metal

We can always use help at the Sheet Metal Workshop, where we teach folks what a cleco is and how to use rivet guns and squeezers. I usually work the morning shift and have afternoons off.

It is run through the Builders Education Center, and if you put in 20 hours you get a week long wrist band for the following year...and they feed you lunch. Other volunteer centers have different rewards.