moll780

Well Known Member
I cant find a hotel anywhere!
im thinking of going from the 27th to the 29th but need to be convinced I should fly there myself. cant find someone who wants to go with me on short notice, who could share the load.
Will there be HBC available?

I went last year with a friend in his mooney, we terminated at timmerman and hoteled it near by.

advice?

I've gone with friends and by myself - it's more fun with friends but easier to make decisions by myself.

I've always camped and had good experiences, bearing in mind the occasional primitive conditions. When I took a lot of my own food, I got to eat what I wanted with no crowds and thereby met fewer other folks, and was denied that excellent experience. Also I learned how easily mice can get into aircraft. Still, camping under the wing adds something to the trip and I'd be reluctant to omit that.

Flying into Oshkosh definitely is better with more eyes looking around.

Please bear in mind my last trip was probably fifteen years ago and no doubt some things have gotten worse. Perhaps maybe a few have improved.

Hope this helps!

Dave

There should be plenty of places to camp by the end of the week - the Homebuilding crowd tends to thin out pretty fast by Thursday....but if theat's when you can go, then that's when you can go! I have gone up there by myself in teh past with no firm plans, and it always worked out.

Paul

Go. Camp. Enjoy.

Personally, I kind of prefer arriving in the middle of the week. You can usually get a better parking space, the lines are a little shorter, things seem a little less hectic, etc.

But the beginning of the week has its merits too...

YMCA

I always stay at the YMCA indoor camping. (on the soccer field) Always room and with access to all the facilities. As I get older, small comforts are more appealing. They shuttle everyone to and from Osh.

I had no problem getting a room at the Blackhawk campus just 8 days ago, give them a call at (920) 424-3226. $60 a night, however no AC at that price.

Camp there!

Do not stay anywhere but there. If you want, camp near a shower facility or even in Camp Schoeller.
There is Theater in the Woods each night, a movie and you will meet plenty of other friends.
I stayed at Appleton the first 2 years and camped the next 14. I will never go back to not staying there. You will miss the experience.
My schedule is typically forums and plane looking most of the day, watch the airshow and then sit by the runways after the airshow with a handheld and watch and listen to the planes takeoff.
The best pictures are when the sun sets and rises, and there is nothing better than a 7am walk around the grounds and the P-51's.

Last edited:
Do not stay anywhere but there. If you want, camp near a shower facility or even in Camp Schoeller.
There is Theater in the Woods each night, a movie and you will meet plenty of other friends.
I stayed at Appleton the first 2 years and camped the next 14. I will never go back to not staying there. You will miss the experience.
My schedule is typically forums and plane looking most of the day, watch the airshow and then sit by the runways after the airshow with a handheld and watch and listen to the planes takeoff.
The best pictures are when the sun set and rises, and there is nothing better than a 7am walk around the grounds and the P-51's.

I couldn't agree more. This will be my 24th trip to OSH, and I love the early mornings before the throngs arrive. Can't beat 7 am.

Jerre

I can't imagine NOT camping at Oshkosh. It's part of the experience. Of course it's changed a lot over the years. Nowadays, you've got flush toilets and giant land yachts with satellite dishes and people inside pounding on the Internet in air conditioned comfort about how EAA isn't what it used to be. :D

Wednesday is "reset" day at Oshkosh. Lots of people leave and the weekend crowd doesn't start coming in in earnest until Thursday.

CAMP, CAMP, CAMP!

I totally agree that camping on the grounds is where it's at! Yes it's hot and not so comfortable as a hotel, but so what? You're typically only at your tent to sleep. Staying the HBC versus Camp Scholler, hmmm.. Both have their pros and cons, but are about equally good in my mind. HBC is quiet and more intimate to the planes (and owners of those planes) on the lineup. Camp Scholler is more active and closer to the beer tents and theater. Take your pick, but definitely you can't beat camping right there!

This will be my 6th year to attend AirVenture, the previous 5 years I have stayed in hotel rooms in Wautoma (about 30 miles west). I am planning to camp in HBC this year, but still have a hotel room reservation in Wautoma, which I'm about to cancel.

I think I've found someone to share the travel expenses and hes also got some experience flying the OSH approach.
so tentatively Im heading there for the 26th/27th arrival... excited!

This will be my 6th year to attend AirVenture, the previous 5 years I have stayed in hotel rooms in Wautoma (about 30 miles west). I am planning to camp in HBC this year, but still have a hotel room reservation in Wautoma, which I'm about to cancel.

I've been kicking around bringing N614EF over to the show (I think I have to get it out of Phase I by next Friday b/c the RV-1 is getting its spot in the hangar).

I probably won't -- I like having a car at Oshkosh -- but if I did, is there any kind of reasonable way to get camping gear and other stuff out of the plane and to a spot in Camp Scholler? Of do I just lug it back and forth?

Home builders Welcome Wagons. Those are the chopped off minivans that you see driving around. They exist for just the purpose of filling this need. Free of charge, but they accept donations to cover costs.

So, say someone was flying their plane to Osh for the first time and they were planning to camp by the plane but some members of their chapter offered to let them sleep on the floor of their barn loft appartment that is right next to the museum.

Would I be a fool to turn them down? Oh by the way it is suppose to be air conditioned.

They plan to arrive on Sunday but I plan to arrive on Saturday. This would leave me homeless for a night. How would I deal with this? Could I camp one night?

Where is the best place for me to park my plane if I do want to camp one night and stay with them the rest of the week? I can get by one night just sleeping under my wing.

Do it!!!

I've been kicking around bringing N614EF over to the show (I think I have to get it out of Phase I by next Friday b/c the RV-1 is getting its spot in the hangar).

Do it Bob !!!

The RV-8 in my avatar was freshly out of Phase 1, thoroughly inspected and all documentation completed and test flown in Phase 2 by mid-week, just before the start of Airventure 2010. I got added to the insurance on Thursday, checked out in it on Friday morning, Soloed it for the first time Friday evening. Went airport-hopping around north Texas & southern Oklahoma on Saturday morning to get the hang of landing it at different various airports, and then on Sunday morning, I took off for Oshkosh in it!

Getting to fly my friend's brand new RV on it's first maiden pilgrimage to Oshkosh was an experience I'll treasure forever. I got to borrow it again last year for Oshkosh too. This year I finally have my very own RV to fly to Oshkosh.

So, say someone was flying their plane to Osh for the first time and they were planning to camp by the plane but some members of their chapter offered to let them sleep on the floor of their barn loft appartment that is right next to the museum.

Only you can decide if it's a good idea. Advantage- AC. Disadvantage- missing out on the fun of airplane camping. If you decide to do it, you'll have to park in the homebuilt camping area for the 1st night (and pay the $24.) After that, you can move your plane out of the campgrounds into the parking area, where there is no charge. EAA has a 3 night minimum for camping, but you may be able to talk your way out of that.

Camping with the plane is a blast! Every builder should try it at least once.

We were going to stay in a friend's camper trailer this year but that just fell through. Our problem is that with three of us in the -9, there isn't room for our camping gear, so...

It looks like we might drive up, pulling the pop-up. Major bummer! 6 hours by RV or two days pulling the RV. My wife reminded me that we bought the pop-up specifically to take to OSH while I was down replacing the engine. Why did I marry such a smart woman?

If anyone has room for 2.3 people, let me know and I'll leave the pop-up at home.

I probably won't -- I like having a car at Oshkosh -- but if I did, is there any kind of reasonable way to get camping gear and other stuff out of the plane and to a spot in Camp Scholler? Of do I just lug it back and forth?

If you decide to go, HBC sounds like it is going to be a hoot. I would practice flying aroung 65-80 knots and get real comfortable doing that. I have been to Sun N Frustration many times, but never the grand-daddy of them all. Looking forward to it. I'll buy your first beer at the RV social Monday night.

Bob,

Before you make a decision about this, go back and read this article. Yes, again.

http://www.avweb.com/news/pilotlounge/182691-1.html

Do you feel comfortable enough in the airplane to do this? Did you do all the phase 1 testing yourself? Do you feel lucky, punk? (Had to add that last one, sorry :)) If not, there are plenty of veteran Oshkosh pilots in your area, perhaps bring one of them with you.

3 people in the -9?
curious how that works.

Camping with the plane is a blast! Every builder should try it at least once.

We were going to stay in a friend's camper trailer this year but that just fell through. Our problem is that with three of us in the -9, there isn't room for our camping gear, so...

It looks like we might drive up, pulling the pop-up. Major bummer! 6 hours by RV or two days pulling the RV. My wife reminded me that we bought the pop-up specifically to take to OSH while I was down replacing the engine. Why did I marry such a smart woman?

If anyone has room for 2.3 people, let me know and I'll leave the pop-up at home.

3 people in the -9?
curious how that works.
Well, it is more like 2.3 people. It helps if one of you is very small. This will probably be the last year he fits back there. This picture is a few years old.

The%2520Family%2520-%2520Copy.JPG

Hello Van's! Will the RV-14 be a 2+2? I need to get moving on to something a bit bigger!

Last edited:
More drifting...

thats too cool!

He has been flying with us since he was 12. 12 weeks, that is. Here is a picture of him strapped in a "snuggly", which is strapped to my wife.

T%2520at%252012%2520weeks.png

You just made me realize that I don't have any current pictures of him in the right seat.