andrew phillips

Well Known Member
I have been to the last two Airventures and it's time to take the family. Our plan is to drive from Canada and rent an RV (the other kind) in Milwaukee or nearer to Osh then camp at Scholler. My kids are young (8 and 5) and I think the full week will be too much for them ( and maybe mom too!). I can't decide between early arrival and departure or midweek arrival and departure after the closing show. I would like them to the see the big weekend show but am concerned that we might not find a space when arriving on Wed or Thurs. I have always stayed off site so I don't know the intricacies of the motorhome camping situation. Any advice would be appreciated.

THANKS!

early=quieter

Have always enjoyed getting there early and leaving before the crowd gets huge. Your family won't know the difference between a Weds. show and a Sat. show. Plus the large RV formations are on Tuesday and Weds usually.

I have never heard of the campground being completely full, so you shouldn't worry about that aspect.

Even at peak, there is always some room in Camp Scholler for an RV. However, you may be camped a mile or so from the front gate, so bicycles might be in order.

Also, if you plan to rent an RV in the area, I would suggest that you start calling right now, as they are hard to come by during that week.

Canada to OSH

I have camped with my airplane, had an RV in the EAA camping, and brought a rental trailer to Sleepy Hollow Farm.

I have booked Sleepy Hollow Farm, again this this year. It is very close to the grounds, with water and power hook ups. (Good for the kids and wife). You resevere your spot ahead of time and have nothing to worry about.

http://www.sleepyhollowfarm.com/

Paul

Having just gone through the process of booking a trailer, I would second Jeff's point about not procrastinating on reserving a unit. The place I rented from has sold out already for AirVenture.

I've camped in Scholler for ump-teen years. With the current dates, things tend to be somewhat full towards the front half of the campground Saturday to Wednesday AM. Then you'll start seeing units vacate and some openings towards the front. I always prefer to arrive Sunday and depart by Thursday, staying away from the weekend crowds.

2008 will be my second time at airventure, so I'm not a pro.

1 wife, 3 children (5,4,1) Also stayed at sleepy hollow in 2007. I wanted to make it as comfortable as possible so I could return. It must have worked since I got the ok and made reservations for this year.

Water and Electricity are a nice convenience. I did not check out their showers/ RR since we had our own.

pros:
close by- don't have to use shuttle- bike or scooter is nice
water/elec

$40.00 per night, but only minimum 4 night stay (works good for family)

Worked great if my wife and kids wanted a break. I could run over to the show for a couple of hours and not worry about shuttles.

cons:
Very close to theater in the woods.(late movie) plays in the evening and hard to get tired kids to sleep. Gets louder as the week progresses.

To anyone else driving from the south, you will want to have plenty of cash on hand for the tolls around Chicago.

If you see the silver dodge with Quality Works on the side, stop and say Hi.

Todd
Northwest OH
Starting My PPL

re: Sleepy Hollow

We've stayed at Sleepy Hollow for the past, I think, 7 years. They're super people, Jeff & Barb will go out of their way to make things comfortable for you. Weve gotten to know each other very well.
It's close to the grounds, as my family calls it, we come & go several times a day. The only real noise I hear is the loud music across the street, north of the camp ground. We always request a spot close to the front so we don"t have to walk quite so far. But the noise comes to a screeching halt around midnight, may have something to do with a curfew, I really don't know.
The showers aren't bad. I usually use my own in the RV but the wife & kids use the campgrounds'. They are CLEAN, the only real issue is the balance of hot/cold water. I don't think the water heaters are plumbed correctly,:) (I'm a licensed plumber in Oklahoma).
They only have water & electricity, no sewer. But they will arrange for a vacuum truck to come out & suck out the tanks. All you have to do is tell Jeff or Barb & they'll take care of it from there, again, super good folks.
If you decide to stay there, look me up. I'll be in the front of the campground, across west from the shower house & about 50 yds north in the Challenger 5th wheel & the '08 silver GMC 3/4t ext cab p/u.:D I've been staying there since we started making OSH our annual vacation so I kind of get to pick my spot every year. BTW, returning campers get first dibs for reservations. I don't think, though, they've ever turned anyone away.
I'd be willing to bet that your wife & kids would be more comfortable here than at camp schroller, there's LOTS of shade trees.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 fuse/cabin top
N781DM

Canada to sleepy hollow.

Last year was my first osh trip. We pulled the trailer to sleepy hollow without kids for the last half of osh. This year we are taking the kids 9,8. I have booked sleepy hollow for sat through tuesday. I agree the end of the week air show is great, but the crowds and traffic are crazy too.
Sleepy hollow is well worth the few extra bucks for the benefit of power and water. A camper will have hot water gas heat so you should be good. We walked back at lunch every day and never needed a trolly or bike. We are stuck in the back field, its wide open and kind of tight. NO PROVICIAL PARK, but livable. Cut through the fence at the side and you are at the gates in 5 minutes walk. Works great. Lots of good folks.
Another reason for first half of week is folks say grabbing a lawn chair and a hand held and just listening and watching THOUSANDS of planes come in is great fun. Chicago traffic is nasty, plan accordingly, we did it at 2 am and it was still crazy with traffic, tolls, and construction. We took the lake michigan ferry back that was fun and much more relaxing than the chicago route on the sunday, but very expensive with a truck and 30 foot trailer. Cya there.

do you remember how much the ferry was? Someone else mentioned it to me.
Just curious. pick-up and 30 foot fifthwheel.
Todd

If you google lake mishigan ferries you will get their website with prices. If you cant find it, pm me and i will dig out the firm and details. I am guessing for two of us, a 3/4 ton and a 29 foot trailer is was almost 300. Book super early and the one we took was an old coal boat with a lot of history. It was a very nice relaxing ride on a flat lake. Not sure i would do it again, but well worth the fun once.