airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
Sounds like somebody FUBAR'd on 27 at OSH just a few minutes ago, they closed the airport suddenly at 0935 Central and within a few minutes started trying to line aircraft up for 36L/R, but nobody is landing yet.

unfortunately, bad news:

Two people were lost in a fatal accident involving a Lancair Legacy near Wittman Field in Oshkosh, WI Thursday morning.

EAA spokesman Dick Knapinski tells ANN the homebuilt high-performance aircraft stalled while on final approach to land on runway 27 at OSH. The plane impacted just short of the runway, and came to rest inverted.

FAA records indicate the accident aircraft was assembled in 2005, and is registered to a New York address.

There was also a crash in Owatonna MN this morning where 7 died, 1 survived and 2 are missing. Sounds like they crashed just short of runway also. Sad day for many.

I talked to an informed Lancair driver about this incident. The pilot had just bought this Lancair a week before OSH. He had precious little flight time in the airplane (reported to be less than 5 hours), and no previous high performance aircraft experience. Witnesses state he was turning base to final and turned sharp, the lower inside wing dropped, plane rolled over and impacted the ground tumbling out of control.

From an "informed source"

I talked to an individual at the Lancair display Friday morning. No names, but he knew the plane and pilot personally. His description of the event was the classic base/final/stall/spin.

From his conversation, the Lancairs require a bit more airspeed. He cited 120 knots in the pattern, slow to 90 on final, touch down around 70. (or so).

His statement is that the pilot apparently slowed well below normal approach speed and made a sharp bank to final, stalling the inside wing and snap rolling into the ground.

This is all hearsay, etc. But it makes sense.

Just a data point.

Please......

Uh I thought there was a rule on the forum against speculation. First of all, the Legacy did not "snap role" into the ground.

And secondly, the statement that the pilot had "4 hours in type" is completely wrong. Please refrain from speculation and hearsay.

DT
Legacy RG

DT,

It sounds like you have information...please share.

Given what we all know as pilots, concluding that a possible explanation of a steep turning plane rolling inverted and crashing on final was a stall spin accident is not exactly "speculation".

No one is insulting the pilot...but it is important to be accurate about all the factors so that we can all learn from the often multi factored chain of events that lead to fatalities...the goal being to avoid similar scenarios in the future.

I was sitting under the wing of an Alabatross in the Warbird area with my father watching airplanes land that morning and we saw it go in. We were about as close as you could get to it without being one of the volunteers or a controller on the taxiway directing traffic. Pilot was trying to put it on the numbers but came up short. It looked like a stall and beginning of a spin, but not a full rotation. There was a big cloud of dust, and then the trucks rolled. When they got there, there wasn't much of a hurry about, and we assumed that that was because everyone was okay. The ambulance was there, but again, no hurry with anyone.

It was only the next morning that we learned that there was no hurry because it was fatal, and it was obviously instantaneous.

Sad ending to a great week.