scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We have a 9am ifr departure reservation out of Osh this morning. Should be fun to see how it works out.

Scott and Tanya,
As I write this your APRS track indicates you are at 8500 ft MSL just south of Cedar Rapids and laying down some good APRS packets. Your tracks at OSH this morning look like you had about a 50 minute wait from the time of the first packet until you were airborne just west of the airport climbing through 1100 ft at 9:36 CDT.
Hopefully when you read this you'll be back home.

Yep, we just rolled in the door at home. There is always something new and exciting to experience when flying across the country. We did indeed sit there, engine running, at the IFR staging area on R27 for about 50min. Jeff said we were the first to roll out of area 51 this morning. Heck, I really just wanted to go exercise the system and see how it worked. The results were almost exactly as advertised. Actually much easier with way less chaos than the VFR departure. It was very quiet out there on the taxiways and runways this morning. We were about number 5 in line. ALL of the other IFR departures were coming from the north side, a couple of jets and light twins. The ground and tower controllers seemed pretty confused to see "that little red and white airplane" playing with the big boys :). As we sat there and watched only one person launch, we caught sight of some lights drop out of the soup on final. Tanya commented "There is the problem". During that 50min, they launched 5 airplanes, including us, and had three arrivals. Launching all of the five departures took a total of about 10-15min. The rest of the time looked like it was waiting for the inbound traffic. It seemed clear to us that they need to stagger the availability of the IFR STMP reservations between departures and arrivals. Anyway, it wasn't all that bad. Heck, we have waited 40+ minutes in the conga line for the VFR departure, and the sun wasn't beating down on us today. Of course, new people want to know what the oil temps were when we finally launched. 210deg, didn't bother me in the least.

Here is another one that was new to me. When you file an IFR flight plan "online" via any of the normal methods, did you know that Flight Service can't see, touch, modify, comment, or have any clue that it exists. I didn't. We had filed the night before, and wanted to make a very small simple adjustment to it. I thought that we would just call up FSS and have them tweak it a bit. Nope, no can do. It goes straight to the ARTCC as is and isn't available to FSS in any way... I found myself completely dumb struck. No biggie.

Of course what would be a XC trip without saying that some kind of onboard radar totally rocks. Since we've become quite familiar with the fact that for some reason the GRT/XM integration only most of the times works when there are a lot of data packets to deal with (like when you really want it to work), we hatched two very different plans based on if we had data in the cockpit or not. We did today, and were able to work With the weather as needed.

We did one stop, then back to 14,500' eating a big fat Subway sandwich for the easy ride home. Tanya flew most of the trip home, dodging some little buildups. Today's performance numbers were 145kts true burning 5.8-6.2gph. from 9.5k' to 14.5k'. That is what ours does all the time. Not a speed racer when conserving fuel, but nice enough to make me pinch myself. Of course it will go a whole lot faster with more fuel burn, but then we would have to come down out of the cool smooth air more often to refill the little 18gal tanks.

Looking forward to OSH next year. Time for a nap.

Last edited:
I was wishing I was IFR equipped and capable today. When the wx finally improved enough for me to give it a go...the F16 skidded off the end of rwy 36 into the mud collapsing the nosewheel. That stunt shut the airport down for 30 min and then the only rwy avail for dept and arrivals was 27. The line for dept was 30+ deep and they weren't getting them out because of the influx of arrivals that were holding after the F16 incident.

Luckily, they turned a few of us who were lined up on 36R around and let us depart 18L. Dicey clouds but I followed the 8 in front of me up through a hole and was able to top the weather! Glad to be home safe.

I was wishing I was IFR equipped and capable today. When the wx finally improved enough for me to give it a go...the F16 skidded off the end of rwy 36 into the mud collapsing the nosewheel. That stunt shut the airport down for 30 min and then the only rwy avail for dept and arrivals was 27. The line for dept was 30+ deep and they weren't getting them out because of the influx of arrivals that were holding after the F16 incident.

Luckily, they turned a few of us who were lined up on 36R around and let us depart 18L. Dicey clouds but I followed the 8 in front of me up through a hole and was able to top the weather! Glad to be home safe.

Glad to hear you guys made it home safe. Wow, it sounds like the adventure continued after we were already hundreds of miles south, dancing with different weather. Departing OSH IFR is a weird experience. It seems to be the only time that the Entire sky is all yours for a few minutes. It felt no different than launching IFR from our little class D at home (by design). This was a little part of my slow quest to experience it all. Actually it allowed us to achieve our primary objectives for the day, pickup the dog before the boarding place closed for the day, while also getting home safe.

Glad to hear you guys made it home safe. Wow, it sounds like the adventure continued after we were already hundreds of miles south, dancing with different weather. Departing OSH IFR is a weird experience. It seems to be the only time that the Entire sky is all yours for a few minutes. It felt no different than launching IFR from our little class D at home (by design). This was a little part of my slow quest to experience it all. Actually it allowed us to achieve our primary objectives for the day, pickup the dog before the boarding place closed for the day, while also getting home safe.

So good to hear that Watson is home safe and sound. :D :D

(And you and T also....)

It appeared you went to 8500 soon after leaving OSH, so how soon did you cancel IFR?

I checked in with your APRS tracks about the time you were descending for your fuel stop and then noticed later you were up at 14.5 so I assumed you were in clear cool air and cruising along.

When Van introduced the 9A there were a lot of folks that thought it was a low altitude trainer. That Roncz airfoil is quite efficient in the teens.

Glad you made it home safe and sound.

Last edited:
It appeared you went to 8500 soon after leaving OSH, so how soon did you cancel IFR?

I checked in with your APRS tracks about the time you were descending for your fuel stop and then noticed later you were up at 14.5 so I assumed you were in clear cool air and cruising along.

When Van introduced the 9A there were a lot of folks that thought it was a low altitude trainer. That Roncz airfoil is quite efficient in the teens.

Don, I had the Card's on Flightaware at the same time they were dropping BB's on the way to their stop at Warrensburg. They must have cancelled IFR about 70nm out of Warrensburg because all of a sudden Flightware stated "arrived 5 minutes ago". Guess you "arrive" when IFR is cancelled, probably based on the filed arrival time.

It was interesting to have the weather overlay on aprs.fi and watch them cut through the heavy stuff coming into Iowa.

Scott and Tanya, there is no hiding, now. :)

So good to hear that Watson is home safe and sound. :D :D
Yeah, Watson was pooped and ready to go home to his favorite chair in front of the TV, after a quick visit to HIS backyard of course.

We stayed IFR the whole way on the first leg. Just to clarify, we were at 8k' on that leg. APRS is pretty sloppy with altitudes (at least ours is). We usually find it much easier than having to avoid every little cloud. We're also very quick to drop it in an instant if we get something from a controller that we don't like and are VMC. Tanya cancelled with the controller about 65mi out when they started stepping us down lower than necessary (for us) into the heat.
On the second leg, we were VFR the whole way and kept stepping up to stay over the top of the buildups. At 14.5, the density altitude was 17.6 if I remember correctly. We were just about done with any kind of 'impressive' climb rate at that point. I think I made a comment about how much better MY airplane was going to be when we were trying to decide if we should climb another 2k'. Or maybe that was just a dream, because I was supposed to be napping while she was dodging the buildups at 14.5.

Don, I had the Card's on Flightaware at the same time they were dropping BB's on the way to their stop at Warrensburg. They must have cancelled IFR about 70nm out of Warrensburg because all of a sudden Flightware stated "arrived 5 minutes ago". Guess you "arrive" when IFR is cancelled, probably based on the filed arrival time.

It was interesting to have the weather overlay on aprs.fi and watch them cut through the heavy stuff coming into Iowa.

Scott and Tanya, there is no hiding, now. :)
Yeah, that was interesting. That was one time when the view from the seat was certainly different than from the ground. The bit that we went through wasn't nearly as bad as the radar painted it at that moment in time. Definitely rain though. Water was still dripping out of the rudder in the hangar this morning. I have a switch on those cookie crumbs just in case I feel like I need to run silent :).

Food service at 14.5k' in smooth cool air was a fresh 6" subway sandwich with Turkey, cheese, pickles, black olives, spinach, tomatoes, light salt and pepper, and spicy mustard. Talk about fat and happy sitting on top...

Last edited: