sign in the window and following the EAA flag person
to the taxiway.
They also only mention using the three FAA positions
for the departure briefing.

For the last few years, I have received my departure brief
from a little hut just north of the forum buildings along the
road. They have given me a bright colored card which the
EAA flag person asked me to show before I pull out of my parking
place. None of this is mentioned in the notam or webinar.
It seemed to be a good procedure.

Is this gone now, or is the procedure only used in the homebuilt area?

Thanks for any help,
Tom

All I've ever done is have a quick listen to the departure ATIS, put my VFR sign in the window, find an EAA guy on a scooter before getting into/starting the plane and let him know I'm ready to boogie. Then hop in the plane (after pushing it out by hand into the isle between the parking rows), start up and follow his instruction while monitoring the departure freq for whatever runway I'm being led to for departure.

Only my first time ever at Osh, did I bother going to get a departure briefing and all I got a bare minimal weather brief from a very inexperienced young man who was struggling greatly with figuring out what he was supposed to be doing. I can get my own weather on my smartphone without a long walk ;)

The hardest part about departing is if you're waiting until after the airshow to leave in the afternoon, then be prepared to wait a good long while in a very long line as you get down the taxiway towards the runway and hope your oil temps stay somewhat happy.

Last edited:
My experience in recent years is that everyone needs a departure briefing/card. Whether that carries forward to this year, I dunno. I haven't read the NOTAM yet.

I leave at 6am no scotters no flagmen just call ground and taxi out. I am always one of the first out.

There is nothing magic about a departure briefing, it is just another way to ensure that everyone knows the NOTAM procedures for the particular runway in use. This is of course separate from a weather briefing.

Problem is, if you don't get the briefing, you don't get the little colored "I got the briefing card" to show to the controllers at the runway, meaning they have to stop you and give you another briefing at the runway, or at least ensure that you know the procedure. Having the briefing card speeds this up, just like having your "HBP" or similar sign speeds things up for the inbound leg.

The hundreds of aircraft waiting behind you thank you for following the procedure.

I'm glad they are still running the
briefing hut and giving out the card.

What threw me off was the fact the
notam and webinar didn't mention it
this year.

Thanks Jeff, for the clarification,
Tom