RV-3Bravo

Well Known Member
Well, my Girlfriend and I are currently planning on making our first trip out to the big show this year. Since I don't have my ratings as of yet we are going to have to take other means of transportation to Osh. What has everyone else done to get to the festivities via other modes of transport?

Midwest Airlines with the 15% off when you mention that you are going to the Airshow that weekend. Fly into Milwaukee and then rent a car for the 1 hour drive to Oshkosh. No need for GPS - its a straight forward trip. I think I spent $190 for airfare from Boston, and then $110 for a 4 day car rental. Use all the money you just saved to buy a tent that doesn't leak...

Chris

Getting to OSH from Milwaukee

My brother flies commercial into Milwaukee then rides the EAA bus that runs between AirVenture and the Milwaukee airport :) Rosie

Last year was my first year. I took my wife and 3 kids. Fifth wheel camper made it nice, but nothing wrong with a tent.

Make sure you have an umbrella or rain poncho. It sure seems like it can change to rain really quick. Learned our lesson the first day there!!

Feeling great since my wife is actually willing to go back this year. That is a very good sign for me.

You will find the place is huge. Don't be afraid to ask questions when you are there. Everyone was very friendly and helpful for this rookie.

By the way, is there any place around oshkosh to rent a gator or golf cart?
I can rent one locally here but I would have to pull another trailer behind my fifth wheel and I am not looking forward to paying any more tolls around Chicago.(Can you say $27.00 from OH to Oshkosh one-way in tolls for a pick-up and camper) Yes, I will pay it, but I don't have to like it.

With the kids to haul back and forth from the campground, it would make things a lot easier. My kids are to young to ride bikes very far. Not sure if I want to buy one to use only a once a year.

Have fun. There are a lot of things I missed last year. Time flies when you'e having fun.

Todd
Northwest OH

Stephen,

You have already heard of some good ways to get there. A few things for your time there: Plan on more time there than you might expect, it is THAT big. The whole week is not too long and you still won't see it all. If possible, buddy-up with someone who has been there before, at least for the first day. It can be overwhelming and it is a good way to learn the ropes. Read up on the forums before you go as there will be things you will want to learn from them. The EAA website will have them. Also study the tram plan as riding them can save you a lot of time/walking. Eat anywhere except on the flightline, although the ice cream cones are good. Don't miss the Wednesday night BBQ. Have fun!

Bob Kelly

One note about the tram service. Tom P. was talking about improvements to Airventure after last year's event and he mentioned that transportation around the grounds was going to be addressed and improved. That along with improvements to the campground. No specifics were given.

Not sure if anything new/different will be in place for 2008, but we will see.

my first year too

2008 will be my first time at Oshkosh too.

I'm tagging along with my father and some friends of his that have gone many times. I'm flying into Milwaukee, bumming a ride in their rental car and staying in a dorm room somewhere. The dorm accommodations are pretty cheap but I've been told they fill up very quickly.

So far it's been great, I've had to do zero planning :eek: - I just booked a flight with similar arrival and departure times, agreed to reimburse them for the dorm room and kick in a little bit for the rental car when I meet them there.

See you there!