randylervold

I've avoided the whole in-flight video thing until now just because I knew I'd need to spend a bunch of money on the hardware and video editing software, then it would likely be a big time sponge with all the editing, albeit a fun one. The dark side is calling however with these solid state camcorders, they sure look simple and affordable. Is anyone using the Oregon Scientific ATC2K Action Cam?
http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=6&scid=14&pid=709

This thing can be had for around $100 and shoots 60 minutes of video onto a 2 gb SD card which can also be had pretty cheap these days. Looks like I could attach this thing in several places in my cockpit and take some formation flying videos etc. This has me interested so...

-How's it work overall?
-Is the video quality adequate?
-Are there any other options I should consider?

And what video editing software is the way to go?

Thanks!

Paul Dye has a thread on these, he and a couple others have used them.

Search, or wait for Paul to see this-----------

Other options

My Fuji S7000 digital camera will record close to the same time on a 2 GB card at 320 x 240 resolution. I saw a 4 GB card at Ecost for $9 after rebate.

Personally I would just mount that camera first unless you are looking at external mounting or in cockpit mounting does not work.

Options...

Randy,

I've used/experimented with a Jones Cam system coupled with a Sony camcorder in the cockpit for a couple of years now on both my hat brim and the top of the V/S with adequate results. Here are some of my observations:

Advantages:
  • Different lens options are available from 120 deg down to 39 deg FOV.
  • Cameras up to 520 lines of resolution are available
  • Almost unlimited camera angles can be used on an aircraft
  • Small camera size allows for low drag if mounted on the exterior of the aircraft
  • Cameras seem to be very tough and will sustain a fair amount of abuse

Disadvantages:
  • Cannot adjust the shutter speed which in bright light 'freezes' the propellor
  • Cable runs must be engineered and installed throughout the aircraft
  • Some of the manufacturers are selling these cameras cannot supply advertised lenses and parts since a lot of it is made in China.

The self contained unit sounds interesting because it solves problems with cable routing (video & power). Can you control it remotely?

As far as production software, Microsoft Movie Maker is free and works well. It's a somewhat basic software package but has quite a bit of flexibility, special effects, and is easy to use once you get the hang of it.

Maybe some of the other video experimenters out there will chime in with their thoughts.

Compare

Hey Randy,

Mike pointed you to one of the threads on my experiments with the little Oregon Scientific camera....here is a more recent video I shot with my Canon SD400 STILL camera in video mode (2 Gig card - lots of recording time...) - handheld, in the cockpit.

Compare the two - I have to be honest, when I do, the SD400 wins hands down for video quality, and it doesn't have the same aliasing problem I had with the prop with the Oregon Scientific. Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't put my Canon outside, strapped to the wing, and I like the rugged, waterproof nature of the O.S. camera. I still have it, and will use it again - but for YouTube quality video, there are alternatives....

Paul

I bought one of those Oregon Scientific cameras and wasn't at all impressed with it. Its a poor quality image, handles contrast badly. The buttons and menu are cheesy and less than intuitive. Any place you mount it in the cockpit you get one or several curved black stripes across the images from the propeller.

It is cheap ... thus OK to experiment with, but I'd hazard a guess you'll end up trashing it.