aparchment

Well Known Member
I am going to order my wings within the week. I am planning on selecting the capacitive fuel senders as an option. I also plan to install a heated pitot -- perhaps the one from Dynon. Finally I am considering going with some sort of auxiliary fuel tank option, but I am not familiar with vendors or systems that are proven. I have seen one that is a tube that inserts through the ribs and heard about one that replaces the fiberglass wingtip.

Could you guys give me some feedback on these three options that I am interested in, as well as suggestions for anything else that I should consider at this point like strobes, landing lights, etc.

Thanks for the input.

Antony

flop tube

might I suggest a flop tube in one tank? may not want it now, but is way easier to handle now then later. and cost is negligible.

There really aren't too many decisions that need to be made right now (for the order). The fuel senders is about the only true option on the wings, but even those can be left off and ordered later (if you weren't sure).

One other thing you may want to consider now is if you want the Deluxe fuel caps Van's sells. If so, you can have Van's exchange the standard caps for the order.

The lighting and all the other stuff can be decided at a later time, but it might be a good idea to at least start planning it out so you can drill neeeded holes while the wing is unassembled.

I posted a earlier thread with a similar question here.

BTW... Dynon doesn't sell a heated pitot anymore (first one had issues). They have been working on it for a while, and are now saying don't plan on them releasing another one. :(

Correction: I just re-read the statement on Dynon's support forums about the heated pitot, they say they are still working on it, but will make no further claims as to when it will be released. Bottom line is, YOU may not want to plan on it. Sorry for the confusion.

Good luck!

Last edited:
aparchment said:
I am going to order my wings ............give me some feedback..........suggestions for anything else that I should consider at this point like strobes, landing lights, etc...
If you are considering a Sport or Pro AOA, installing the first of its 2 kits is made easier during wing construction. When I purchased mine, you could purchase the first (relatively inexpensive) kit without having to pay for the whole system up front. You won't need the second kit until your airplane is well into final assembly. http://tinyurl.com/duktp

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

thanks for the list

Thanks guys.

Brad that was a particularly useful thread.

Rick I hadn't given the AOA much thought yet. I will look into it.

For others reviewing this thread, here are some items worth thinking about with a wing purchase and generally for wing planning, courtesy of Brad's other thread:

- type of fuel senders
- stock fuel caps v. deluxe caps
- Lighting (ldg/taxi, strobes & position lights)
- Fuel Pickups or Flop-Tubes or combination
- Pitot Mast
- AOA System
- Autopilot Servo and bracket
- wiring conduit -- placement, pre-drill holes
- wingtip antennae

Antony

right path

Antony,
It looks like your on the right path.

The pitot, conduit, and AOA can be decided on during construction of the wings. For placing your order you need to decide on your fuel pick up and caps. I personally went for one of each type of pick-up. I built my first wing and tank as standard and the second wing as an inverted tank. I have the Gretz pitot mount yet no tube yet. It looks like the Dynon heated pitot is going to be the only hope unless you want to spend over $400 for one.

One other item you might want to consider is a stall warning horn of some type. I picked up a Reddish stall warning horn switch from Aircraft Spruce for $70 bucks.