Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
OK, funny story at a good supplier's expense - but Wicks made good very quickly, so I'm happy with how it turned out.

I love ordering stuff on the Internet, and seeing the brown boxes arrive a day later - it is usually easy, simple, and foolproof. So when we needed a piece of 3/16" 2024-T4 Bar stock an inch and a half wide to make a wider rear spar carry through for the RV-3 (better edge distance), I checked all the usual sources. ACS, Van's, Airparts - Wicks had everyone beat on price per foot.

Never being one to pass up a good low price, I hit "oder", and when my "shopping basket" came up, I changed th quantity from the default "1" to a "3" (sold by the foot). Put in the credit card and woosh - the order was off. I figured that with the holiday, it might take a little longer to show up, so I was pleased when three days later, I came home to find a box on my chair - Louise had brought in the mail, and didn't know what I had ordered. I was both pleased and dismayed however, because the box was about ten inches square and a couple of inches high. I suspected what I was going to find, and sure enough, I was right - three perfectly cut One foot long pieces of 3/16" x 1 1/2 " 2024 T4Aluminum.....kind of hard to make a spar out of that, unless the fuselage is REALLY narrow....

Shopping on the Internet is "Like a Box of Chocolates" - you never know what you're going to get.....:rolleyes:

Paul

(Wicks responded to my email despite the holiday, shippping a new piece out at their expense the next morning...)

Last edited:
Sounds familiar Paul...

I ordered what was meant to be 100, 200, and 500 zip ties from Stein in various sizes. The box showed up, and I had 1, 2, and 5 zip ties...

I can only imagine what the guy stocking thought as he packed up 8 Ties and sent them off.

Sounds familiar Paul...

I ordered what was meant to be 100, 200, and 500 zip ties from Stein in various sizes. The box showed up, and I had 1, 2, and 5 zip ties...

I can only imagine what the guy stocking thought as he packed up 8 Ties and sent them off.

You don't even want to know!!! We all still get a good laugh out of that one (even though it's quite embarrassing)....it's a long story, but suffice to say she'll never live that one down.

Years ago I had a similar issue ordering some aircraft hardware. Needed qty 100ea, received 100 POUNDS!!! Once and awhile this still catches us when we order direct from mfgrs who have line item minimums with things sold in 10's of thousands. Imagine getting an extra 50,000 Dsub pins....

Anyway, Wicks is one company I try to order from when I can because they are a great family run company with a long history (plus the other part of the family builds really neat pipe organs)!

Cheers,
Stein

Rivets by the ounce

I had a similar situation, I asked how they sold rivets and they said a tenth of an ounce is the lowest quantity sold. I said I would take two ounces, the package showed up and you guessed it 2 rivets. The company apologized and in a day I had the remaining .199 ounces! The person packing so the label marked with a 2 and no other notes, they were new enough that they did what anyone would do if they did not know better, they packaged up two rivets and sent it out the door.