PaigeHoffart

Well Known Member
I just waited 20 min on hold to get a second RMA number from spruce. They couldn't even send me the right part the second time (after 3 phone calls over the span of a week). Don't order part number 05-1383, it's not worth your trouble. I seriously doubt they'll ever correct the error.

Paige
RV-8A (finishing?)

I just received a 2X rivet gun from Aircraft Spruce today and it had a problem. I called and was promptly connected to Mike in sales. He gave me a RMA number and is sending out a new one today with the shipping free. They are just now back from OSH and last week was not a great time to order anything online as everyone was extremely busy. Sorry you had a bad experience, we all have those once in a while. Overall Aircraft Spruce has been a good source of tools and parts for me. I have no connection with them other than being a satisfied customer.

I've ordered before

This wasn't my first ACS order, and it probably won't be my last. You can't beat their selection, and most of the time, you can't beat their prices. But just like anytime you deal with a large company (cell phone service seems to be a good example), you spend waay too much time trying to sort through the mile long bureaucratic trail just to get a simple job done. Basically it boiled down to "I need a round part, like in the picture- right next to the part number I gave you, not the square part you keep sending me." Unfortunately, the person I'm talking to isn't the one pulling the order, or labeling bags. You get the idea. To be honest, most of the time my money is better spent with the little guys that get it right the first time; time is getting to be pretty valuable [ why am I spending time writing this? ]. They're something to be said for talking to someone who knows what a 6-32 screw is.

I'm not bashing ACS, it is what it is. Big, fast, cheap, not always accurate. I'm just trying to save someone else the hassle. Don't order the part number I mentioned earlier.

Paige

PaigeHoffart said:
Don't order part number 05-1383, it's not worth your trouble.

Their catalog does sometimes seem a little confusing. Some of the pictures leave quite a bit to be desired. I'm sure that we all hope the part will be a little nicer than the price suggests, generally it's not.

I looked up that part number. While it's on one of their charts online, the part number doesn't match up with the rest of the eyeball fittings. Maybe it's just an adapter, it is a few bucks cheaper than all the rest of the parts. What is it they keep sending you? I used the one hole eyeball fittings for my mixture and throttle. I think I had to drill it out to the correct size.

About the guys at ACS not knowing what you are talking about, that's totally the opposite of what I've seen. I go to the ACS in California quite a bit. Those guys know their product from what I can tell. I've asked for some pretty obscure things. They know the catalog page and sometimes have suggested a different part once they find out what it is I'm trying to do.

I too like to support the little guys but ACS has been able to get parts to me at a great cost and they ship right away, much better than that company in Oregon.

Clarification

The part I was trying to order was an Aluminum grommet type TTP, what I got was an aluminum grommet type SE961-B. Which, according to the table would be part number 05-01378, not 1383. Maybe the online catalog is different from the printed catalog, but that's how I read it. Here's what I'm looking at.

The people at the parts counter may know what they're talking about. I wish I had the luxury of driving to the store, I wouldn't be having this conversation. The people I dealt with couldn't understand the SE-961B vs TTP thing; we had to talk square and round, or blue and silver. Maybe I'm calling the wrong number, if you've got a good contact at Spruce, please let me know.

I had no intention of stirring up a hornet's nest; I just wanted to save others the frustration in relation to this one part, which admittedly did look like a bargain. If you need more details, please PM me.

The good news is that I found a supplier that sells the correct part cheaper than spruce. :D

Paige

Last edited: