gpiney

Well Known Member
All,

I have the need to order a few extra blind rivets. Since that only amounts to a couple of bucks, I thought I would order some extra stuff to make the shipping worthwhile. I added some 'oops' rivets to my order.

Looking for suggestions on small hardware items that I should have in stock outside of what comes with the kit.

Thanks,

I ordered a few extra short bolts (AN3-3A and -4A) to use as throwaways while temporarily attaching the z brackets to the spars. Also some of the corresponding nutplates (K1000-3).

Also get some of the NAS1097AD3 rivets in a variety of lengths - these are handy for attaching nutplates as you don't have to c'sink very much.

Thomas

Extras what to order....

I would definately order some one legged #8 nutplates. There have been a few areas where the standard #8 nutplate would have been difficult to install. This will give you a few options.

Get a few standard ones a few dimpled ones for the inboard section of the wing.

I also found it helpful to use some non locking AN3 nuts for trial fitting pieces. Just make sure not to use them for final contruction.

Ditto on the NAS rivets, very helpful.

-Mike Draper
RV-8 finish

Things I bought (and used)!

- extra #8 screws - you'll put a lot of these in and out, and when you get to final assembly, you'll want pretty ones without any messed up heads.
- a couple of bags of nylon lock nuts, in the usual sizes. if you have new ones on hand, you'll be less tempted to keep re-using them!
- those little bitty pop rivets - sometimes, it's the only way to get a nutplate installed properly.

And looking ahead to your final assembly - I went through the drawings and made a list of every bolt that I needed for installing all of the control surfaces and stabilizers - all the stuff that you will have to use when you put the plane together at the airport. I ordered three sets, so that I would have no excuse to re-use stuff. Cost all of about $30. I know, I could have just ordered a bunch of every size bolt in the catalog, but I'm too cheap to buy a lot of sizes I'll never use....

Paul

drill_and_buck said:
I would definately order some one legged #8 nutplates. There have been a few areas where the standard #8 nutplate would have been difficult to install. This will give you a few options.
I would order some of the corner nut plates as well. Some times the one legged ones are just a little bit too long.

Click on the picture for an example.

That plate was made to replace the two nuts/washers called out to hold the C-728 ball stud in place on my tip-up.