vonjet

Well Known Member
I have been looking for a blended airfoil Hartzell for my Lancair 360. I called Hartzell and they said they didn't make one smaller than 74" in diameter.
I was on Vans website and I found a Hartzell blended airfoil prop with 72" diameter at a great price. It says I have to be a builder in order to order one. Besides being a builder can anyone suggest a way I can get one from Vans?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

There is NO way to get one from Van's; their deal with Hartzell requires you to specify the kit serial number when you order the prop. Ok, maybe someone who didn't go with a Hartzell prop might be willing to buy one for you, but I'd bet against it. Hartzell has tested the prop on RVs with certain engines and determined operating limitations for it.

That said, the model number tells you that it is actually a cut-down 74" prop (I'm looking at the manual for mine right now). I'm sure the factory process for reducing the blade is more complex than simply chopping off a couple of inches but I'm thinking that the 74" version may work for you if you just have a prop shop shorten it. As with all modified props, you'd be entering unknown territory but then a lot of experimental aircraft have been flown on such props - including RVs before factory props became widely available. I'm not advocating you do this but if you do, do your research and proceed carefully.

Blended Airfoil

If Hartzell can recommend the 72" Blended Airfoil for numerous RV's and on the Lycoming 0-360 engine. I do not see why I can use the prop on my Lancair. How will the prop know the difference if its on a Lancair 360 with a Lycoming 0-360 or an RV6 with a Lycoming 0-360?
The problem is that Lancair recommends a 68" prop for ground clearance issues on the 360. But they recommend a 70" prop for the 320. I have measured my ground clearance and I think I will be ok with a 72" prop.
I was told the Blended airfoil is much more efficient design over the old paddle blades. I would think the operating limitations are for the engine the prop is on. In my case I have the engine Hartzell recommends the prop go on. I would also be fairly close to the diameter they recommend. So if I follow those limitation rules I would believe I should get as good or better performance than the old paddle blades lancair recommends. I think its the only prop they recommend because the 360 is no longer in production so they aren't doing anymore testing with it.