N674P

Well Known Member
I've resigned my self to drilling out 60 some rivets, unless by some miracle this is ok or salvageable...
The lower 22 holes on the VS rear spar are dimpled and corresponding holes on the doubler are countersunk. Unfortunately, I made the countersinks perfect for a flush rivet, but not deep enough for dimpled .032 sheet. And of course I set all 60 some rivets before it clicked that hey, the doubler is standing a few thousandths proud of the spar - probably right up to where the universal heads take over.
So after stewing all night, I was just heading out to drill them out and countersink properly. Before I do, I'd like to hear comments, advice, raspberries, whatever you've got on this. Drill 'em, Rick Galati's "liquid shim", fugedaboutit , whatever.
Sorry no pics - the kids have the camera.
I'll go rivet the front spar/ribs to the skin while awaiting your responses, and thanks in advance!
I keep learning the hard way...

Don't Drill!

Johnny,
If the doubler was machine countersunk enough for a rivet to be flush, then it is fine.
Since you are working on the vertical stab you have probably just started your project (little low on experience). Their is a much higher probability of you over sizing quite a few of the holes while removing the rivets which would be a (slight) structural issue. Leaving the spar as it is now is not a structural issue.

Scott

Thank you, Scott!
Yes, I am low on experience, but already have more experience than seems reasonable with drilling out rivets! I think I could do most of them without screwing up very many. But it sure looks purdy right now...
Since rivets are down both sides of the spar, it's not "tippy", but there is that few thousandths air gap that you can see through at the bottom where the flanges don't extend. If the flanges had extended farther, I would never have noticed my mistake (but now I'll never forget!).
So the structural strength is sufficient, even with the .032 sheet spar not in full contact with the .125 or so doubler? DAR's? Engineers? Any input?
Once I rivet the skin on I'm definitely not going to be drilling anything out, so I'll go start on the rudder and let others chime in on go forward or step back.
Thanks everyone!

The very small gap is not an issue with structural strength. What would be an issue is if the machine countersinking on the holes was too deep. Then you would not have the dimples in the spar web mating tightly in the countersinks. The way you did it, the dimples bottom out in the countersinks and you have a proper rivet joint.

Scott

Back from work on the rudder - down to the last of the stiffeners when my new-at-start-of-project Craftsman belt/disc sander quit. The sealed bearing idler siezed up.
OK Scott, sounds right, and having heard no objections I'm going with it. Thanks!