rkochcyxh

Morning people
I've order my QB fusalage and wings yesterday and now I have to decide on some of the options. I know I've read this before, but I can't find it. Aileron trim, manual or electric? Its money and weight. Is it worth it? Static air kit. I want to make sure that I have a heated peto tube. Float sending unit? I'm planning on a Dyton efis. I have to let Vans know by Monday. I appreciate all the help and comments.
Thanks guys
Russel Koch

My $0.02

Russell,

My two cents:

- Aileron Trim - Are you planning an autopilot? If so, I would just go with the manual trim. The AP will handle the trim duties during the long haul.
- Static Kit - I went with the static kit, but I ordered the actual vents from Cleveland. The pop rivet that Vans recommends just doen't seem like a good long-term solution to me.
- Fuel Senders - I think for the QB you have to do the floats. I've heard you can retrofit some cap sender on those tanks, but I don't know that it is worth the hassle. I personally take fuel sender information as guidance only, so floats are accurate enough for me (my timer is my fuel gauge).

tx_jayhawk said:
- Static Kit - I went with the static kit, but I ordered the actual vents from Cleveland.

Have you found that the Cleveland ports give accurate readings? There has been quite a lot of posts that the SafeAir ports are giving readings that are as much as 4-5 MPH off.

My two cents:

- Aileron Trim - Bought it, left it off. I have a AP, and it handles aileron trim as mentioned above.
- Static Kit - Bought it, didn't use it. I used Aircraft Spruce's static ports These are accurate (They stick up a little). I may have used Van's tubing - can't remember.
- Fuel Senders - I don't even know why I have fuel senders. (Oh, I know..the FAA requires them). A timer and a dip stick is the best fuel guage. Oh, and a fuel totalizer. I never refer to my fuel guages.

OneTwoSierra said:
My two cents:

- Aileron Trim - Bought it, left it off. I have a AP, and it handles aileron trim as mentioned above.
- Static Kit - Bought it, didn't use it. I used Aircraft Spruce's static ports These are accurate (They stick up a little). I may have used Van's tubing - can't remember.
- Fuel Senders - I don't even know why I have fuel senders. (Oh, I know..the FAA requires them). A timer and a dip stick is the best fuel guage. Oh, and a fuel totalizer. I never refer to my fuel guages.

I have not been fortunate enough to fly anything with a fuel totalizer. I hear several people making the same kind of statements so I am considering one for my plane. Can you explain how this works and why it gives you more confidence? Maybe the answer is the same for both.

I would appreciate a better understanding of the advantages of a fuel totalizer.

Thanks for any help you can offer.