James Atkinson would be proud...he designed and patented an engine with opposing pistons in the 1880's. Although his differential engine was a 4 stroke, it just shows that there is not much that has not been tried...we just get better at it as time goes on :)

definitely not much new out there...

I've been reading a book first published in 1933 that describes a production common-rail diesel fuel injection system with electromagnetically actuated injectors!

Confused

It is my understanding that a piston's stroke is somewhat tied to its diameter. Compression either too high or too low becomes the limiting factor. If you have two pistons won't each have to travel 1/2 of that distance? If the throw of the crank is one half doesn't that then reduce the available torque? I don't see the advantage to this engine. What am I missing?:eek:

Torque does not seem to be a factor in designing this engine. They appear to be going for high HP per weight and economy. 2 strokes give a power every stroke and typicaly have less losses by having less moving parts. I'm going to guess this will be a pretty high RPM motor since the usual limiting factors (piston speed) have been changed.