Dorfie

Well Known Member
I am building RV10, so no aerobatics. I am planning on using 4 point harnesses (no crotch strap) on all 4 seats. I am not particularly sold on the way the VANS harnesses come together, but would have no major problem using them. I am keen to hear from builders which type of belts and locking mechanism you prefer, ease of use, stiffness of belts etc.

Anyone installed these:
http://www.crowenterprizes.com/pages/DriverRestraints.html
Go to RV 10 series under RV aircraft restaint sytems
I like the Kam Lock system (by eyeball only, never seen or handled one).

Thanks.

Johan

Last edited:
Crow with Kam Lock = :)

Johan

I have Crow's with the rotary connection and shoulder pads for my RV6 and LOVE them. Only regret is I used Van's belts first. I should have used these from the start. The Kam Lock sticks up a little bit and looks slightly odd from the side. However after your first flight you will never notice it again.

FYI - My wife knew that I wanted to replace my belts and she knew I was looking at Crow. She called them up and the only information she has was "RV6 and some sort of "quick disconnect". They told her no problem they had a good idea of what I wanted all they needed was what color and if they were wrong she could send them back. We live close enough to drive so she did they handed her the belts and they have been in my RV6 for several years now with zero complaints. I did not deal with them she did. She had nothing but good things to say and she is hard to please.

KAM LOCK RV AIRCRAFT RESTRAINT WITH PADS crow. i had the links in my citabria, what a royal pia putting them on!! they stink. i raced corvettes for yrs and these kam locks are the best. fastest to put on. never had them ever come open! they do disconnect much faster than vans style! i can be out of mine in less than a second!
another great thing is you can leave your right shoulder strap locked in so when u fly again u don't have to look in the back for the darn strap!! ever got in and shut the canopy then reach for the shoulder straps only to find they have fallen into the luggage compartment! what a pain! not with mine! they r always right next to me! i love em. they are also very well constructed! vans look like skinny pieces of nothing, and then have to kook both shoulder straps down tight and flat before you can hook to the rest of the belt,,,,, oooops where did the rest of this @#&%!! belt go to? start again! lol
by this time your frame of mind is changed.

I am very happy with my Crow seat belts/harnesses. Most of my transition training customers seem to like them.

I don't like the cheap Van's seat belts for a couple reasons. Main reason though is I find that the shoulder straps start to loosen up/slip while flying. I put the Crow harnesses with the rotary latch in my -10 and really like them. I did not bother with the crotch straps. They are sitting on the shelf.

Crow.

Great quality, great fit and finish, super comfortable and very accommodating for the larger person.

Great responses

I think I am sold on the crow system!!
Are the padded shoulder straps worth the cost?
Thanks.
Johan

Are the padded shoulder straps worth the cost?

I like them in my opinion yes they are.

Unless you have a reason against the 5-point, I'd recommend it. I don't fly aerobatics (as a general practice). When I encounter turbulence, it's convenient and comfortable to have the fifth strap to balance the seat belt forces when you synch everything down. I'd also say "yes" to the shoulder strap pads.

"Crow 5-point with rotary cam" was the very first upgrade I did after buying my RV.

Pacific Scientific Belts

I have and love my Pacific Scientific Belts. They are a high end rotary release like you will find in a Grob Glider or in the front of an Air Transport. I purchased the buckles new surplus and had Belt Maker Inc in Torrance CA custom make the belts in my RV.

Flying an experimental gives you some options.
I am using three inch wide race automotive belts from Summit Racing and similar.
Agree with five point, currently using hook type latch and happy with it.
I have found the wide webbing comfortable without the padding.
Just my $.02

I have Crows Cam-Lock style. I cut off rear seat crotch attachment tabs. If the rear passengers are under 100 lbs and skinny, the lap belt cannot be tightened properly. No pads, no comfort problems. At 6'0", I have hit my head in turbulence with them tight. Maybe a front crotch attachment in the -10 would have helped. Overall, like them and would recommend them.

I so wish Tanya would let me replace the standard Vans belts in the -9 with Crow. I might just have to make a command decision at some point I guess.

Anyone have any comparative opinions about Crow vs Hooker, aside from you like them? I don't remember seeing Crow up at Osh, but Hooker was. Seat belts are on this year's shopping list.

seat belts

Got my cam lock 3" wide 5 point off ebay for Toyota racing car $97 dollars a set of 2 w/ shipping I like them are they as nice as Crow no but there $97 w/ shipping.
Bob:)

I've spent far more hours strapped into various race cars than I have strapped into an airplane so that definitely affects my opinion here. I've used a lot of different systems and the Crow's with rotary latch are right up there with the best of them. The Hookers have far more color choices but they attach a very heavy airplane tax to their products whereas Crow does not. As it turns out, I prefer my belts in black so I went with Crow and like them a lot. I do wish they had small hole hardware but squeezing a few an4 washers into the hardware won't stress a builder.

As far as crotch straps go....if mine was damaged and couldn't be used, I think I would ground the plane until a new one arrived by next day air. Opinions vary, but I've seen first hand the results of 4 point belts and that's an image I would rather not have in my mind during flare on an ugly approach.

Last edited:
The original poster's question was for a non acrobatic RV-10. There is no provision in the plans (at least in the set I own) for front seat crotch straps in the RV-10. It would be easy enough to put in an attach point though if one desired. The rear seat crotch strap attach tabs interfered with the seats from Flight Line Interiors so I ended up removing them.

i need crotch strap

hit head too often before installing them in my front seat of the rv-4 but there was not an easy place for the rear so i didnot install one there and have had to land because of passenger hiting head when my crotch strap kept me from hitting canopy. my experience is they are a neccesity

another vote for Crow

I have Crow's with rotary latch in my 8 and love them . Excellent quality and price .

Don't the 5 point ones make your voice go up an octave? You want to maintain that "pilot voice" so everyone thinks you know what your doing.

Has anyone done a "field mod" to a 9 to attach the fifth strap somewhere.
Got my head clunked the other day... and I had the four point down tight on pelvis.... Woke me right up.

Unless you have a reason against the 5-point, I'd recommend it. I don't fly aerobatics (as a general practice). When I encounter turbulence, it's convenient and comfortable to have the fifth strap to balance the seat belt forces when you synch everything down. I'd also say "yes" to the shoulder strap pads.

"Crow 5-point with rotary cam" was the very first upgrade I did after buying my RV.

As mentioned by others the RV 10 does not really cater for the crotch strap. This is a family plane, and I don't think a crotch strap will work well with people wearing dresses!! Never seen it worn in this setting, but can imagine!! Personally I would definitely use 5 pointer if installable.
Johan

One more question on the Crow set

Is it easy to fit in the RV 10? Attachments and lengths correct? Like plug-n-play?
Thanks for all the replies. Some more research to do. Very valuable opinions.
Johan

Is it easy to fit in the RV 10? Attachments and lengths correct? Like plug-n-play?
Thanks for all the replies. Some more research to do. Very valuable opinions.
Johan

Yes. Crow belts are built model specific and have plenty of length for large people. You will need to use bushings for the AN-4 bolts. Some folks use washers but I turned down some aluminum bushings on the lathe.

Has anyone actually installed an attach point for a crotch strap on the front seat of a 10? Picture? Thanks,

Has anyone actually installed an attach point for a crotch strap on the front seat of a 10? Picture? Thanks,

Not sure how it would work. The seat in the 10 is on a sliding track, so it would have to be attached to the seat frame itself. And the front bar on that is wrapped with the seat bottom sling material. Not really any place to install a crotch belt attach point without compromising the structure of the stock seat.

On a semi related note, I've been told this is the same seat frame that is also installed in the new Cessna Corvalis, and I'm pretty sure they only have shoulder belts.

RV-10 Front Seat Belt

Yea, figured it would be a trick set-up... this is a pretty clever group so wondered if anyone had come up with something clean.