Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Hey guys- I've got the oil cooler lines in for a trial fit and I'm looking for a sanity check.

There is a 90 clocked to about the 1:00 position on the r/h oil port, with vans longer VA-134 line coming over the top to a 45 on the inbd oil cooler fitting.

There is a 45 on the l/h port clocked to about the 10:00 position and the VA-135 line does an S curve with an adel clamp roughly center span to keep it off the engine mount, down to a 45 on the outbd oil cooler fitting.

For other guys who are looking at a similar install, I put exact dimensions for where I mounted my oil cooler in my build log. As mounted, I can get either a straight fitting or a 45 on the outbd oil cooler port, but it sits too high to point a 90 inbd there due to interference with the engine mount. It's also kind of crowded to try to run the cool line under the left mag & oil filter adapter to come up from the bottom to the r/h oil port. If I had it to do over again, I would drop the oil cooler about 3/4" and that would make the inbd routing much easier.

Does anybody see a problem with what I've got going on? I asked my IA at work and he suggested I might want some wear protection mid span on the VA-135 in case that adel clamp wiggles, but other than that, he felt like there was enough bend in the lines to allow for the engine wet-dog shake.

I had Vans VA-134 and VA-135 lines on hand, so thats what I went with. When I order the rest of my lines from TS Flightlines, I may have these remade in teflon. I could also have them made with a 90 on one the end of the VA-135 and I think that would allow it to come over the top of that lower engine mount tube into a straight fitting on the oil cooler for a more graceful arc up to the l/h port instead of having to S curve through the engine mount. Haven't decided yet if that makes sense or not.

As currently configured, does anybody think that I might not have enough flex in the lines to allow for engine movement, or see any potential points of conflict? I think I've got room to get the breather tube through there. Is there anything else I'm forgetting?

If I reorder in teflon, either braided or firesleeved, is it more or less rigid that the braided stuff that comes from vans, which is pretty stiff?

At all costs. I want to avoid a situation where I get into the engine mount with that steel braid, or have an install with enough tension in the hoses that engine shake can causes the angled fittings to start to wiggle and cause a leak.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I haven't worked on a piston engine since A&P school 30 years ago, and as we all know, oil line are kind of a big deal, so I want to make sure I get this right.

Attachments

• IMG_7856.jpg
    IMG_7856.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_7858.jpg
    IMG_7858.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_7861.jpg
    IMG_7861.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_7863.jpg
    IMG_7863.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 141
The bend in the hose near the outboard port on the oil cooler, looks like it probably is tighter than the recommended minimum bend radius of most hose types.

Sigh. I suspect you're right. The hose isn't deformed, but based on your comment, I just went out and checked and it's in the ball park of 3"

I think I'm going to get some cheap hose ends and plastic tubing and mock this thing up...

Last edited: