FLYPTV

I would like some input on a first timer building an HRII.

I started the "Rocket Lite" thread a while back and I think Smokey has convinced me that a IO-540 isn't that expensive to run, just expensive to acquire. That being said, a slow build RV-4 with the HR adds could take long enough to get the Benjamin's saved for a nice fire breather. . .

I have been doing some reading on the HRII lately. The airplane embodies everything I want in an airplane. Since I am hooked on the Fast Back, I don't think the Airframe would be that much different in cost, if you were to compare it to a QB-8 with a Showplanes Fastback.

My concern is my ability. . . obviously I need some training and experience. . . just curious what you think about a first timer doing all of that sheet metal work and modification. Discuss. . .

Thanks again guys. . . I know you probably get tired of helping a "tire kicker" but I swear I am going to build someday. . . just having too much fun in the -6 now. . .

I am a first-timer building a -4. With the rather weak formulations in the manual, the hand drawn drawings (with no tollerances for instance), all the non-fabricated parts and so on, I would say may learning curve have been and still is steep. It is not particularly difficult once I have figured out how to do it, but it is all the figuring out that is difficult.

Modding the structure increases the steepness of the curve even further, to the point that it is difficult even for professionals. But then again, since I am a first time builder, I wouldn't really know :D

My first project was one of the old RV4s, my second project was a HRII. The Harmon will be more difficult than the RV4, not in building, but in figuring things out. It will be a lot easier now than it used to be as there are quite a few flying and some pretty good websites out there to use as a resource. My RV4 took 17 months to build and so did my HRII. I know of at least one first time builder that has done a HRII and there are a bunch of F1 first time builders.

Motivation maintenance

The HR will be appreciably harder to build than a pre-punched RV7 or 8, but I feel most people will much more patient and much more likely to finish if they are building what they really want. Consequently, I think it would be hard to complete anything that you don't really want.

Also, many great looking non pre-punched RV's and HR's have been completed by first timers.

To me, any RV or HR is awesome, but if you want a rocket build a rocket.

Last edited: