RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I liked the idea I read about in a past issue of the RV8tor, which is to split the hinge pin for the flaps in two, then cut the hinge eyes off the hinge so that you can get the hinge pins out.

Well it said about 3in and what I came up with was 3 eyes on one side and two on the other side of the hinge. Once I was done cutting this looked like too much. You can see the close up picture, I think I cut off one more eye that was really needed. I put the flap on and took a picture for more perspective and it does not look so bad on the wing. Aside from the cosmetics will this be OK or should I do the hinge over. I really don't want to because it all came out so well alignment wise. I guess I could use the hinge half as a guide but that might induce some error and increase my build time even more. I am inclined to use this as is and keep an eye on it after flying. Of course I will not do this on the right side!

Anyone flying with this method to secure the flap hinge pins, that have cut out 5 of the eyes instead of 4?

Thanks for an advice.

I only cut out 3 total. I haven't figured out the securing of the ends yet, they'll get tucked in after paint. here's a pic

RV7151.jpg

I cut three hinge eyelets on each wing.

If you don't like the way it looks, I'd say just press on -- the hinge is on the bottom side, so it could just be your little secret ;). Besides, your hinge pin will be easier to insert than everyone else's.

Bryan....

.......it's fine just like it is and it won't back out because the two interfere with each other....no need for any additional safetying. Ours is just like yours and it's been in there for two and a half years and 365 hours....press on.

Regards,

Clean and secure

You can use 2 pins from the centre as you propose. And you can take them inside and terminate both pins at one screw on the support truss (you have to instal a nutplate for the screw). The pins require fabrication of a loop at each end.

Very clean from the outside and 100% secure. Left click on photo for better detail.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help

After I thought it about it for a while I figured this was going to be OK, thanks for the reassurance. I think a smaller opening would look better but like Buck said this is on the bottom. The rivets go into the hinge today :D

Cheers

.......it's fine just like it is and ........no need for any additional safetying. ..........press on. Regards,

Thanks Pierre. I wasn't worried about it. I just thought I read in the instructions to do something with the ends. After I slipped the pins in place the first time, I thought "dang these are going to be tough to remove, with out scratching the paint." I moving so slow, I try not to sweat the little stuff.