aarvig

Well Known Member
A late night session of riveting brought a result I did not care for. I wasn't paying attention and didn't realized the flange was not seated smoothly against the counterbalance skin. As a result when I riveted it pulled the skin down to the flange :mad:. No problem, I thought, just drill it out clamp the two pieces together then rivet. That produced the same result plus a rivet that sat way too proud. So I drilled it out again, making the hole to big this time. Put in an oversize rivet and riveted it back together. It's not pretty. So far the rudder skin is only riveted to the tip rib and the counterbalance skin. Should I just fill the dent in with a body filler or should I drill out 40 or so rivets and replace the counter balance skin. Thoughts...suggestions? Thanks.

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0021-1.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

I would recommend that you leave it and continue as though it didn't happen. By the time you get to the finish kit & it's associated bag of fun, you'll have gained all the knowledge you need to either determine if it's a problem or not. Whether you decide to replace the piece at that point or simply fill & paint, you'll be able to do so far more quickly and efficiently because of the skills you will have gained by that point.

If it were me, I'd examine closely to see if there was any cracking. If so, I'd replace it and if not I'd fill it and move on. If you're ever down to Flemming, I'd be happy to show you examples of each on my -6A :)

I wouldn't worry about it and keep on building. You're going to add a fiberglass cap to the top of the rudder and that's going to require some effort to get fitted and probably even some blending to get the cap to match the rudder. You can simple tackle this area at the same time and blend it all together at once and no one will ever know.

Opinions? Get the new rudder let's keep that Aurora factory running :D Jokes aside it looks acceptable from your pictures. Build on Aaron...

Thanks for everyones advice. I took it and finished the rudder off. As was mentioned on the thread, I am going to fill it in when I put my tips on. I plan on covering up the top rivet line on both sides so it looks like nothing was ever there.:D
One thing I learned...trying to fix an acceptable but not perfect rivet can usually lead you into a worse place than you were originally.

I would recommend that you leave it and continue as though it didn't happen. By the time you get to the finish kit & it's associated bag of fun, you'll have gained all the knowledge you need to either determine if it's a problem or not. Whether you decide to replace the piece at that point or simply fill & paint, you'll be able to do so far more quickly and efficiently because of the skills you will have gained by that point.

If it were me, I'd examine closely to see if there was any cracking. If so, I'd replace it and if not I'd fill it and move on. If you're ever down to Flemming, I'd be happy to show you examples of each on my -6A :)

I would always welcome the opportunity to meet another local builder! Flemming has the best fuel prices in the greater Twin Cities area. I'll take you up on your offer one of these days.

I wouldn't do anything with it

I wouldn't do anything with it including fill. If it is as trivial as it looks in the photos it will be and it will look fine on the finished airplane.

It appears that you are using a gun to set these rivets. I personally would hand squeeze any that are that accessible and avoid all the risks associated with the gun and bucking bar.

Bob Axsom