Jim P

Well Known Member
Well, the pick-up from GLO Custom is getting close and I?m looking at some options for the flight back to Seattle, taking the long way from 52F, towards SoCal, then up to WA. I?m assuming I can potentially depart the Dallas area around noon or early afternoon next Friday, so I?m looking for a place to stay out in West Texas/ NM area assuming the weather cooperates. Anyone stayed at Deming? Through the West Texas/ Southeast NM areas, should I expect nasty winds for the afternoons? On Saturday, plan is to make Rosamond, CA, then head north on the Sunday if all goes well.

If you need a place to stay in the Sacramento Ca area, let me know.

Just a bit east, Cameron Park, O61 on the charts.

Part II

Depends on whether you have oxygen on not, but I flew from Ft. Worth--Clovis, NM.--St. Johns AZ.--Jean, NV.--Livermore, CA. with a bit of zig-zagging around restricted airspace.

It was a calm day when I crossed the Sierras, so I had a very pleasant ride at 16,500ft. during the crossing. It still was somewhat scarry with those rugged peaks only 3-3500ft below!

If you chose not to cross the Sierras there, you could stop in at AX-O's at IYK and cross at a lower place further North.

You have a Labrynth (as you well know) of Restricted Air Space in Southern Nevada and California. Going South this time of year is the probably the best idea even with all the Govt. Airspace.

Keep us posted. Planning is half the fun!

Deming,NM

Holiday Inn in Deming (575-546-2661) is good place to stay, large clean rooms for $60 and good restaurant. $6 breakfast buffet. FBO (Robert 575-544-3660) will lend you a van. Another good hotel, The Grand Hotel (575-546-2631), will come get you. Reasonable room rates and also has good food there. You'll love the long runway..ex WWII training base.

Southern route for sure

Spring does bring winds to the southwest. Its particularly bad in northern NM, AZ and southern NV. It has not been bad yet, but to be prepared is a good thing. Its generally less windy on the southern routes, but that doesn't mean it won't blow some in the afternoon. I would go through El Paso and then on to Tucson. It is best to fly early. I have stayed a couple of times at El Paso International, there are hotels there you can walk to so it works pretty well for a quick in and quick out. Don't know about Deming. Good luck.

Well, the pick-up from GLO Custom is getting close and I?m looking at some options for the flight back to Seattle, taking the long way from 52F, towards SoCal, then up to WA. I?m assuming I can potentially depart the Dallas area around noon or early afternoon next Friday, so I?m looking for a place to stay out in West Texas/ NM area assuming the weather cooperates. Anyone stayed at Deming? Through the West Texas/ Southeast NM areas, should I expect nasty winds for the afternoons? On Saturday, plan is to make Rosamond, CA, then head north on the Sunday if all goes well.